Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Magicka: Vietnam Announced

Paradox Interactive announces Magicka: Vietnam (really!), the first expansion from Arrowhead Game Studios for Magicka, the recently released action/adventure game. Here's word on the add-on, which they say will be available "soon" via digital distribution: "Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if wizards were allowed to roam the jungles of war-torn Vietnam, attempting to bring peace and stability to the region by casting spells on all opponents? Wait, you havenít ever wondered that? Ever? Okay, so weíre probably the only ones who have but in our defense: hereís your chance to stop being so closed-minded. Magicka: Vietnam delivers over-the-top action as players take on the role of four meek and physically inept wizards as they try to do what so many 80ís action stars have done in the past: blow stuff up." This trailer is online showing combat in the jungles of Vietnam, along with familiar tropes like a Huey run to the strains of a Surfin' Bird parody and a napalm strike (which we assume will be survived by Charlie Sheen).

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 2, 2011, 08:35 Spektr

yay a month too early for an April joke :p  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 2, 2011, 05:14 Zoom

This is good stuff. I want some. It's not yet insane creative stuff ala Bullfrog (some of the best games ever) but it's a nice try. Next, Magicka: Duty of Honor, with a WW2 setting ?  

30. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 2, 2011, 02:27 Jerykk

This is one of the awesomest things I have ever seen. I wish more developers were like this and weren't so pretentious. Publishers too. If you tried to convince EA, Ubisoft, Activision, THQ or any other big publisher to fund a game like this, they'd laugh and then tell you to make a military shooter.  

29. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 2, 2011, 01:37 Sepharo

Grounded wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 23:41:
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen

You're dumb.

28. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 23:41 Grounded

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen  

27. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 23:35 Prez

Craziness! I love it!

@ Verno: that's pretty weird, the CTD's - I haven't had one in over a month. Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2011, 02:00.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

26. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 21:49 Beamer

It's like its the child of a Commando arcade cabinet that jumped on the Gauntlet arcade cabinet while no one was looking!

YES!

I still expect a negative reaction from the mainstream.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 21:16 dj LiTh

Ok....i been on the fense....but now i'm over it, under it, through it...i'm buying this! LOL If just for the sheer look on my friends faces as i play it straight faced!  

24. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 19:42 Dev

Pure Brilliance!

The title alone made me want to pre-order it, and the trailer just solidified that.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2011, 20:23.

23. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 18:24 Kosumo

It's like its the child of a Commando arcade cabinet that jumped on the Gauntlet arcade cabinet while no one was looking!

Total classic

22. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 18:08 bigspender

BAHAHAHA omfg that is the funniest thing i've seen in a while these guys are great.  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

21. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:37 Overon

They have a sense of humor. That's good.  

20. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:13 jdreyer

Wow, that's seriously W. T. F.

Yeah, I just assumed it was an early April Fool's joke, but looks real enough. Kudos on them for taking two disparate gaming tropes and apparently successfully combining them. Looks like fun. I wonder about enemy variety, though.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:10 Xero

HAhahahahahha! Brilliant! Can't wait for this one, lol.  

Currently playing: Skyrim

18. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:06 Thenetcase

LOL If this was exactly one month later I would say well done on the creative April Fools joke... But alas! It is real... It's good to see a developer with a sense of humor.  

17. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 16:55 Dr. D. Schreber

I bet they did this because it gives them an excuse to just re-use all the forest assets, but I don't care.

This is the most amusingly batshit thing I've seen in awhile and it makes me happy to be alive. I eagerly await wank in some part of the Internet over the fact that the wizards' staffs are American flags.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

16. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 16:04 Verno

Yeah someone mentioned the game was fixed so our steam group started it up again last night but we had several CTDs and other assorted nonsense. Thankfully the desync stuff seems fixed at least. The crashes aren't as often but they're still just as annoying. The scoreboard bug at the end of rounds is still around too.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

15. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 15:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hey, this looks amusing and fun, but FIX YOUR GAME ALREADY. Multiplayer is still plagued by people falling through the world in certain situations that have been posted to death on the Arrowhead forums, and still it hasn't been fixed.

Just tried a multiplayer arena game of v1.3.5.2 last night, we got to round 11 in The Glade before everybody's framerate dropped to about 5, and people fell through the map and died. Instant rage quits for most followed. There were no more monsters on the screen at that point than any other round, so no obvious clue as to the cause either.

14. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 15:35 kimbambaman

Heh, I like that BF reference at the end there.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

13. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Announced Mar 1, 2011, 15:29 Verno

The crazy ass trailer really sells it.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo