Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced

Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games announce Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, the promised news about the science fiction real-time strategy series. Rebellion is a standalone expansion for Sins of a Solar Empire that does not yet carry a release date. Here's a description: "The exciting next chapter in the awesome Sins of a Solar Empire universe has arrived. A full-fledged expansion to the original, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion draws you even deeper into the galactic struggle for supremacy with appealing new factions, terrifyingly cool new ships of all sizes, enhanced lighting and particle effects for increased visual pleasure and all-new victory conditions." There's a Brad Wardell interview on Big Download discussing the news, including word that those who own Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity will get a discount on Rebellion. Here are a logo and a spaceship image, and here's a feature list:

• New Factions: Players decide whether to become Loyalists or Rebels, which unlocks a unique new tech tree granting them new technologies and ship variants.
  • New Titan-class ships: Massive warships for each race that dwarf capital ships, these deadly new monsters are capable of wiping out entire enemy fleets single-handedly.
  • New Capital Ships: A new capital ship class arrives, giving players new strategic options.
  • New Corvette-class ships: Small, highly maneuverable light ships that are adept at a variety of tasks.
  • Loyalist and Rebel versions of some of the existing Sinsí frigates and cruisers, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses.
  • Updated lighting and particle effects for enhanced visuals.
  • New Victory Conditions to allow for more variety, differing strategies and shorter game sessions.
  • Additional capital ship ability levels, for greater strategic choice.
  • Impulse::Reactor support for chat, friends, achievements and more.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 3, 2011, 12:40 SpectralMeat

So I finally finished the demo tutorial missions and I like the gameplay. Does it make sense to pick up Trinity now or just wait for this stand alone expansion?

Decisions, decisions.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 2, 2011, 00:51 venomhed

I just bought Trinity which is a great buy, but probably going to skip this. The game is TOO samey now, and these add ons haven't really done much such as Diplomacy.

They really need to make a new Sins game with much more engaging combat and graphics like Homeworld 2.

Homeworld2 > Sins

21. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 22:36 MoreLuckThanSkill

I have yet to buy Diplomacy as well, and the second hand reports I keep getting about ridiculously buffed pirate raiders seem like I should wait for the patch, at the very least...

*EDIT* went and bought Diplomacy, the pirates,though tougher, are still free experience so far, not sure about how they scale with their upgrades, but nobody is paying them. I've used like 1 Diplomacy upgrade, and about 50 economy/warfare upgrades.

Diplomacy <<<< Genocide in SoaSE still, it seems.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2011, 00:51.

20. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 22:15 gilly775

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 17:14:
This expansion will also have a discount to Trinity users, but I don't have any more info right now about that though.
Hope those of us that only have Entrenchment get a discount too. While Entrenchment was a definite boon to the gameplay, I never really saw any point in getting Diplomacy.

You should get it. They made improvements to the AI, the pacing of the game and added additional scenarios. It wasn't just about diplomacy.

19. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 21:25 dj LiTh

I'm a bit confused, i bought sins, then entrenchment, then diplomacy....all separately as they came out...so does that mean i'll get the discount?  

18. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 20:53 Darks

Halo,

What rock have you been hiding under? the game was on sale over the Christmas holidays.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

17. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 18:24 Prez

Awesome! Can't wait.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:59 Nuukee

Hope those of us that only have Entrenchment get a discount too. While Entrenchment was a definite boon to the gameplay, I never really saw any point in getting Diplomacy.

I second this.

15. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:52 Halo

If Trinity ever went on sale I'd buy the game.  

14. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:38 Slashman

This expansion will also have a discount to Trinity users, but I don't have any more info right now about that though.

That's about where I stood...

13. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 17:14 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 16:55  Island Dog 

Considering there is no single player campaign other than skirmish missions(which are great, admittedly), it seems more like an a tool for forcing people onto Impulse:Reactor than anything else, and I'm not in the mood for a more invasive form of an Impulse store/DRM, to be honest. The lack of running an Impulse client in the background is the ONLY advantage it has over Steam at the moment, being a bit buggier and games usually at full price vs Steam's frequent sales.

Impulse::Reactor is not a store nor really DRM. In simplest terms Reactor is going to allow achievements, free-to-play, and actually quite a bit more.

11. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 16:14 Darks

MoreLuck,

I can tell you exactly why they are releasing this as a standalone add-on. Itís because they are now in the process of changing the engine and fixing it to be more robust. By making this a standalone it allows them to fix those issues without disrupting the original game as it is now. The new Beta patch they released only fixes the Diplomacy add-on, which kind of sucks but thatís the way it is. Iím perfectly fine with this as a standalone add-on. It helps modders too because now we wonít have to dwell all over the original game and figure out what file does what. This is a good thing as a standalone.

10. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 15:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, I love SoaSE, and still put in the hours for a good game now and then, but what the hell is with these "Standalone Expansion" non-sequels that companies keep releasing?

Don't take this as a pure complaint, I will most likely buy this(hopefully it is expansion price not full game price), but any "Standalone Expansion" usually means:

"Same Engine and underlying technology, with some new graphics/sounds."

Considering there is no single player campaign other than skirmish missions(which are great, admittedly), it seems more like an a tool for forcing people onto Impulse:Reactor than anything else, and I'm not in the mood for a more invasive form of an Impulse store/DRM, to be honest. The lack of running an Impulse client in the background is the ONLY advantage it has over Steam at the moment, being a bit buggier and games usually at full price vs Steam's frequent sales.

And of course both of those suck compared to GoG.com, but that's another topic.

9. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 15:41 Darks

This is the best news I have heard all week, in fact all month. Love this game and the strategy that comes with it. This game will contain the new fix they are implementing in the original game that fixes the 2 gig barrier. Will be looking forward to this game.

8. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 15:25 Shok

bhcompy wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 14:55:
Best modern RTS out there, but I miss the lack of a story mode

Notwithstanding bleeding edge graphics, AI War: Fleet Command & Light of the Spire expansion gets my vote for best modern RTS out there. The AI is just incredible. To be fair though it is only a co-op multiplayer game and not a full pvp RTS.

7. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 14:55 bhcompy

Best modern RTS out there, but I miss the lack of a story mode  

6. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 14:42 Burrito of Peace

That ship looks so much like a Taidan cruiser it might as well be a direct clone.  

5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 13:29 gilly775

Oh yes!!! Many, many hours of enjoyment. too bad no word on a release date or pre-order for the beta. And here I was hoping they would announce SoaSE2!  

4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 13:08 DrEvil

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 12:41:
That ship looks like one from Homeworld. Pretty cool. Too bad I never got into this series because I found it a little too complicated for my liking, but i should make the effort and spend some time with the demo to find out how this game plays. Always tried the tutorial mission and then I just lost interest half way through that.

I hated the "three-d" (yes, I'm mocking it) aspect of it.

I'd much prefer a presentation / interface similar to Galactic Civilizations or Master of Orion.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo