Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

PCGA on PC Gaming Growth

The PC Gaming Alliance announces the results of a study they commissioned to assess the state of PC gaming. The study attempts to encompass all data, including retail, digital distribution, and digital point cards, and their results show the PC gaming market growing, rather than shrinking as other studies have suggested. They say: "Among the key findings: the global PC games market continues to show surprisingly strong growth in 2010, reaching a record $16.2 billion. This represented overall growth of 20% over 2009. No geographical market segments tracked showed a decline in 2010 in overall PC game revenue." This evaluation also looks to the future, and they project growth through 2014:

“The spotlight has definitely shifted back to the PC game market. A few of the biggest factors fueling this movement are innovative business models making games more accessible with digital distribution, free to play, and online; along with game formats embracing the shifts occurring in the evolution of the PC ecosystem to remain more profitable,” said Matt Ployhar, PCGA president and Intel analyst. "Large game publishers are looking at digital revenue on the PC game platform as one of their key areas of growth and it is clear that the performance of the PC game market in 2010 is resulting in substantial investment money flowing into the PC game business."

The report concludes that the PC game business will continue to grow at a pace of 9% CAGR to $23 billion by 2014. Most of this growth will be driven by the increasing ease of digital distribution delivery solutions and payment methods. According to DFC analyst David Cole "right now, outside of direct publisher digital distribution, Valve's Steam service dominates delivery of large client size games. However, this is likely to change as other premium players enter the market for digital distribution.”

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 22:59 Sepharo

Yes it is about the whole market.

Yes it's mostly about Zynga.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 13:57 Verno

Nope, they also refer to the market as a whole several times and go into specifics on digital distribution like Steam, so I'd say this is about the entire market.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

17. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 13:24 Beamer

I don't agree with your rather patronizing take on it and regardless this is a PCGA press release which is worth nothing.

They point out free to play, China, and in the next paragraph discuss all the casual/FB game companies purchased by major entertainment players.

I'd say this whole release revolves around casual gaming.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 13:18 Verno

I don't agree with your rather patronizing take on it and regardless this is a PCGA press release which is worth nothing.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

15. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 11:39 Beamer

All of you skeptics need to remember what they're discussing:
A few of the biggest factors fueling this movement are innovative business models making games more accessible with digital distribution, free to play, and online; along with game formats embracing the shifts occurring in the evolution of the PC ecosystem to remain more profitable,”

I'll translate this for you guys:
"Zynga is making a ton of money right now and the major publishers are looking back at the PC and trying to figure out why Zynga is outpacing them. China also represents 20% of PC gaming sales, and they're almost exclusively casual games and absolutely awful MMORPGs. Casual games are now where money is earned, not deep, hardcore titles."

What they are not saying, though some people here seem to think it they are:
"Hardcore PC games are where it's at and what the focus is. Consoles are no longer the place for hardcore games. We're going to start making AAA FPS games, deep strategy games and flight sims that properly train you for your pilot's license again."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 11:23 TurdFergasun

just another newspeak release from a marketing company. nothing to see. old is new, down is up, and perpetual rape is now growth.  

13. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 10:16 MajorD

As the current consoles (XBox360, PS3) on the market have aged, and PC hardware performance/visuals are widening the gap once again, people are shifting back to PCs. Once the next generation of consoles hit the market, then we'll see the PC numbers decline again.  

12. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 09:46 ldonyo

CommunistHamster wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 09:06:
"digital point cards"

That is not PC gaming. That should have its own group distinct from PC gaming and consoles.

Then you would be missing "point card" sales for some of EA's PC games, such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and all of the money spent on Games For Windows LIVE. All of this is revenue generated by PC gaming, which is why they counted it and all of the subscription-generated funds for MMOs.

11. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 09:06 CommunistHamster

"digital point cards"

That is not PC gaming. That should have its own group distinct from PC gaming and consoles.

I think the decline in PC gaming is simply attributable to the rise of the cheap low-powered laptop. The public do not have computers capable of playing AAA PC titles. Devs ought to focus on low-system-requirement games.

10. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 03:21 Prez

I can believe that disparity between the PCGA report that shows PC gaming growing and others that show the opposite is in how the data is collected - judging by the blurb the PCGA report at least went farther than most studies in trying to gather a full picture of the market and not just slices as other reports do. Unfortunately, if this data includes drek like farmville, it is meaningless. It almost certainly includes the insane numbers that the WoW abomination continues to bring in, so the report is most likely skewed anyway.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Mar 1, 2011, 03:08 neilmike

fuck you ass hole!! and hell the console is getting old now ,yep dying!!!  

8. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 23:27 [VG]Reagle

Actually some digital distribution methods seem to be GETTING BASTARDS LIKE YOU TO PAY UP. Also our consultants seem to be making some headway in STOPING PC GAMING HACKERS LIKE YOU FROM BENDING US OVER AND GIVING IT TO US up the poop shoot. Enjoy your console games and stop hacking our crap....PCGA STAFF  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

7. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 22:50 Dev

ZOMG PC GAMING $ IS DYING

6. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 22:49 Creston

it is clear that the performance of the PC game market in 2010 is resulting in substantial investment money flowing into the PC game business."

It is?

*looks around in confusion*

I must be missing something. All I see is poor to terrible ports and great PC games being dumbed down for the console denominator.

(indies not considered)

Creston

5. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 22:31 the_culture

And for our next report: Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah  

4. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 22:16 necrosis

Does not matter if the numbers are high if they are made up of shit, crappy ported, console trash, games.  

3. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 21:33 Ray Marden

Well, I think PC gaming might have a more mature digital distribution model, but the consoles aren't far behind. In addition to their being the primary focus of the general gaming industry as a whole, you have three different companies that are all championing their own versions of console-specific distribution.

Having said that, I don't think the PC gaming market is doing much to help itself. The GPU market makes no sense, there are still ongoing tech support issues, piracy is an easier target on the PC side of things, a huge amount of money is going to a single game based around grinding (WoW,) first time users are still left in the dark, a lot of the games are crap ports (even if it is only a side effect of the bigger issues,) etc.
I love PC gaming, but it isn't cost effective nor is it a polished experience.
Noting the absurdity of the PCGA's own statements...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 21:03 Nuhauser

My skepticism won't allow me to believe this report at face value either. I would very much like to see an article comparing this report to others that claim the PC gaming market is shrinking.  

1. Re: PCGA on PC Gaming Growth Feb 28, 2011, 20:42 wtf_man

Unfortunately, the Publishers and Developers believe the PCGA about as much as we do.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo