Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV

Valve announces their plans for this week's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, CA, indicating they have ambitions for their Steam content delivery service to make its mark in the coveted living room space. They reveal an upcoming "big picture" mode, "which will offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction," saying this: "will enable gamers to enjoy Steam and their library of Steam games on more screens throughout the house." Details will be revealed to attendees at the GDC, and in the meantime, here's what Valve marketing VP Doug Lombardi says about this: "With big picture mode, gaming opportunities for Steam partners and customers become possible via PCs and Macs on any TV or computer display in the house."

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Mar 1, 2011, 14:51 Stolk

They reveal an upcoming "big picture" mode, "which will offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction,"

And it continues on to say what it will enable. That is not vague.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Mar 1, 2011, 12:06 avianflu

Sapharo, the Valve announcement was vague and puffy with non-specifics, but you are the expert.  

56. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Mar 1, 2011, 10:48 Steele Johnson

And everyone will buy it.  

55. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Mar 1, 2011, 00:10 descender

I know threads are scary for you Beamer. Since you can't follow them.  

54. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 23:58 Sepharo

As many others have pointed out this is just a new UI for TVs and controllers.

I'm not one to usually bash on the community here at Blue's, but it was pretty disappointing seeing nearly* the whole first page of comments so wildly off base.

I've been using Hulu Desktop (oddly named since it's for TVs) since it was first launched in beta and I sometimes forget most people watch Hulu through browsers optimized for traditional PC usage.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2011, 00:54.

53. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 22:28 Quicksilver

finga wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 19:47:
Jesus christ, you guys will shit your pants and echo-chamber yourselves into a completely overdriven tizzy over any little thing.

Reading the same press release you did, it's clear they're talking about an alternate UI and gamepad controls to navigate the UI, making navigation on a TV easy when you've got some gamepad-enabled games. It's not some huge OnLive-style project.

Agreed, OnLive had to lay down some serious physical infrastructure to make it work, and even then it's spotty. This is clearly a user experience modification. Not a declaration of strategy to enter into a whole new market.

52. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:48 raVen

Pankin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 15:53:
Today, id is owned by Zenimax and Valve is totally calling their own shots and innovating and diversifying like a motherfucker.

I just think that's funny.
iD has also diversified, just not in the games market: Armadillo Aerospace

Also I saw this new title on Steam today: B.U.T.T.O.N. (Brutally Unfair Tactics Totally OK Now)
I seriously think there is something to the small console that streams from your pc to your tv. I guess it could just be a better UI for an HTPC + controllers too.

51. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:47 finga

Jesus christ, you guys will shit your pants and echo-chamber yourselves into a completely overdriven tizzy over any little thing.

Reading the same press release you did, it's clear they're talking about an alternate UI and gamepad controls to navigate the UI, making navigation on a TV easy when you've got some gamepad-enabled games. It's not some huge OnLive-style project.

50. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:25 Zyr

The press release is vague enough that it could be some sort of OnLive/Gaikai streaming service, but I don't find that very likely at all. This sounds more like presenting Steam in a much more HTPC friendly way.

I have a pretty modest HTPC that I primarily use to stream media off a NAS. It's powerful enough that I can run Mass Effect 2 at max settings on my 1080p Plasma, and I've done local co-op on Street Fighter 4 as well. It works great once the game is running (and yes, you can use a mouse/keyboard just fine from a couch/comfy chair with some preparation), but using Steam is an absolute chore at 1920x1080 on a 50 inch display from 15 ft away. So an improvement there would be absolutely awesome for me.

HTPCs are a niche market but genuinely great. I'd love to see more local co-op/split screen in PC games as a result of a big platform like Steam catering to that market.

49. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:13 edpfister

They've already mentioned in the past that they want to start selling console games. This is most likely the first step towards doing that and has little to do with PC/Mac.  

48. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:02 Prez

If this is yet another cloud gaming service, I'm not interested. But if it ends up being another in the list of growing choices for internet streaming of movies and TV, I'll be glad to take a look and sign up if the service proves worthy. Cutting the cable is the best thing I've done in a long time, and more options in the streaming market are always welcome to me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

47. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 18:42 bhcompy

Pankin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 15:53:
And to think this all started with a The Little id software Engine That Could.

Given how groundbreaking and huge id software was in the 90s, it always seemed like they were the ones that should've elevated to the position Valve is in now. id was so huge! Didn't everyone at id get a Ferrari as a bonus one year or something? Talk about squandering your position.

Today, id is owned by Zenimax and Valve is totally calling their own shots and innovating and diversifying like a motherfucker.

I just think that's funny.

Which is even more funny since the base of the Source engine is still the Quake engine

46. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 18:14 Suddenly_Dead

IMHO this is super cool. One of the reasons consoles are attractive is the TV & Couch-friendly interface. Add this to Steam's sheer convenience, and all of its communication and community stuff, and most of the advantage of the "console experience" is licked. This'll go perfectly with an HTPC setup.  

45. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 18:12 reisub

Pankin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 17:04:
reisub wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 13:36:
I was thinking recently about how I'd go about hooking my PC up to the TV in a relatively simple, low latency way (the PC's a fair distance from the TV). I don't know if they'll be looking at the hardware or just software but I'll my keeping an eye on it.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the same thing...in 1998...so I did. MP3s via Winamp + visualizations on the big screen back when it was totally novel. Boy, those were the days.
Yes, I've done that in the past too but as my PC is nowhere near my TV I was more thinking about losslessly streaming the video and 5.1 sound over 802.1n to a low power box under the TV. If latency and/or bandwith proved too much of an issue then a HomeplugAV setup would probably do the job. You keep living in the last millennium though.

44. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 17:17 Stolk

Nameless Again wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 16:36:
As if they weren't stretched thin enough already. Well, at least we'll have Portal 2 to play for the next two years...

Oh and Valve, I already beat you to it. It's called a DVI-to-HDMI converter. $3 on Amazon. Hope you can beat that price.

A 3 dollar converter the modifies the UI of Steam?!? That sounds pretty fancy.

43. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 17:07 Creston

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 16:48:
(*tip* don't be surprised if Apple announces their own tv in the near future. Of course it will be something revolutionary (probably Kinect type UI nav, etc, etc, with a really slick interface).

It'll actually just be the same technology that's already been out for awhile, packaged in a sleek white case with a nice-looking GUI, and charged at three times what it's worth.

Creston

42. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 17:04 Pankin

reisub wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 13:36:
I was thinking recently about how I'd go about hooking my PC up to the TV in a relatively simple, low latency way (the PC's a fair distance from the TV). I don't know if they'll be looking at the hardware or just software but I'll my keeping an eye on it.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing the same thing...in 1998...so I did. MP3s via Winamp + visualizations on the big screen back when it was totally novel. Boy, those were the days.

41. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 16:48 Beamer

As if they weren't stretched thin enough already. Well, at least we'll have Portal 2 to play for the next two years...

Oh and Valve, I already beat you to it. It's called a DVI-to-HDMI converter. $3 on Amazon. Hope you can beat that price.

You do realize that the guys that make games and the guys that do technology aren't one and the same, right? Different resources.

And you do realize that your dvi-to-hdmi solution was pretty much proved not very useful within the first few posts of this topic, right?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 16:48 Steele Johnson

It's a smart move. Consoles as we know it are becoming obsolete and TVs will slowly become PCs that are capable of playing high-end games. I work in the industry and see it happening. Now that there's more demand for applications to run on your tv, games aren't taking a backseat. I'm sure AMD, Intel, and nVidia are going to have bloodbath soon.

(*tip* don't be surprised if Apple announces their own tv in the near future. Of course it will be something revolutionary (probably Kinect type UI nav, etc, etc, with a really slick interface).

39. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 16:36 Nameless Again

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo