Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gaikai Live

DPerry.com announces that Gaikai is live, offering a cloud-based service that is now called a "Video Game Advertising Network" (thanks Big Download). There's a lengthy discussion of the measures they've taken to reduce latency on the service, and this outline of the games currently being offered:

You can try Mass Effect 2 if you just visit: http://www.gaikai.com/ (Just wait and if your connection quality to our Server is fast enough, one of several pop-up designs will appear.)
You can play Dead Space 2 here (after a short survey): https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F2QFNY7
You can play Spore here: CLICK HERE
You can already play SIMS with Gaikai here: http://www.thesims3.com/trial
You can already try Second Life here: http://maps.secondlife.com/ (Just wait and if your connection quality to our Server is fast enough, a pop-up will appear.)
Our next phase is to start embedding Gaikai into gaming websites, so visitors can try the latest games. We already have run millions of connection tests, but the more the better.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Gaikai Live Mar 3, 2011, 20:40  Blue 

Weaseal wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 10:18:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 10:15:
Finally! A useful One Post Suspect!
Lol- did Blues clear their username database at some point? I've been a reader for about 10 years but rarely comment. Tried to log in today and found all my info had been wiped since I last commented (probably about 2 years ago).

Just noticed this. Nope, no data wipes here. Bits are cheap.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Gaikai Live Mar 3, 2011, 18:56 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 10:25:
What happened to the shill?

Ran away, leaving us all lonely. I missed it...mighta been a bot. I wonder if we can reprogram it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

45. Re: Gaikai Live Mar 1, 2011, 11:07 venomhed

True, I did misread his post.  

44. Re: Gaikai Live Mar 1, 2011, 10:25 nin

What happened to the shill?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43. Re: Gaikai Live Mar 1, 2011, 10:21 Verno

m00t wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 16:39:
At least as far as Valve is concerned, I'd say you're wrong. I've never seen a brick and mortar store do the kinds of sales that Steam has. Lots of stuff (even new games and pre-orders) goes on sale pretty frequently and for significant discounts. If that's not a lower price, what is? Of my 152 games, probably 90% were at or below 75% of retail price.

As for EA, well, it's EA, what do you expect?

The price of new games on Steam is still usually $50 or more for AAA products. Valve doesn't have sales to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, they have literally said those sales generate huge amounts of income during and raise interest in the product afterward. Valve does not pass on the savings of DD versus B&M to the consumer in any shape or form on new products as they said they would in the past.

I am a fan of Steam overall but this is one area where the entire industry pulled the wool over consumers eyes, sorry.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

42. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 23:58 Jerykk

I think you need to re-read Beamer's post. He didn't ask how cloud-based gaming could save publishers money. He asked why people automatically think that publishers would be willing to pass these savings on to consumers when they can just reap the extra money for themselves.  

41. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 19:37 venomhed

@Beamer:

"I don't get why people are always convinced that this simply means lower prices."

God damn Beamer are you daft?

WHAT? Creating the cover art, the boxes, the physical CD/DVD, the compression and installers, all cost employee time and money to create PHYSICAL media.

The company saves MILLIONS on this. Rather than create an estimate 50,000 physical copies, the company simply has a downloadable installar, no overhead, no waste if the game sells crappy.

OF COURSE SOME SAVINGS SHOULD GO TO LOWERING THE COST OF THE GAME!

Econimics 101 and don't think otherwise.

40. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 16:48 Suddenly_Dead

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 18:41:
Yeah, I like the idea of streaming for renting or demoing, as opposed to "owning," but not if this is the quality level. I haven't tried Onlive because I don't want to add to their sub numbers, maybe it's better.

OnLive is at least playable. From where I am (Western Canada), the video quality is crappy and it occasionally breaks up (for some reason, constantly in the dirt 2 trial), but the latency is good enough to play most (non-FPS) games. It's not good enough that I'd buy anything on it, but I could see playing trial games through it.

39. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 16:39 m00t

Verno wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 15:36:
People often believe that they should get the savings passed onto them because often times thats how the industry persuades them to adopt these services. I've heard everyone from Valve to EA claim that digital sales would lower prices and that hasn't happened.

At least as far as Valve is concerned, I'd say you're wrong. I've never seen a brick and mortar store do the kinds of sales that Steam has. Lots of stuff (even new games and pre-orders) goes on sale pretty frequently and for significant discounts. If that's not a lower price, what is? Of my 152 games, probably 90% were at or below 75% of retail price.

As for EA, well, it's EA, what do you expect?

38. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 16:27 Dev

Estese wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 21:16:
You need not have cognitive dissonance about the $3000 you dropped on your gaming rig
Anyone who drops $3000 on a gaming rig is either an idiot, or has so much money they use it to wipe with after a crap. I guess I could imagine a tri-sli with triple large monitor setup plus the most expensive i7 CPU costing that much, and people who get rigs like that have usually have more money than they know what to do with.

Nowadays you can build a decent quad core gaming rig for $500ish.

37. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 15:36 Verno

People often believe that they should get the savings passed onto them because often times thats how the industry persuades them to adopt these services. I've heard everyone from Valve to EA claim that digital sales would lower prices and that hasn't happened.  

36. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 15:34 entr0py

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 14:50:
4. Lower cost SHOULD be passed onto end user since there is now no physical product, yet we know the prices remain the same.

I don't get why people are always convinced that this simply means lower prices.

Let's take A, a video game developer. Right now they are working on a game that they expect to sell one million copies. The game will sell for $60, but they'll only keep $10 of that. So they expect to make $10 million dollars in revenues. They'll spend no more than that on the game, regardless of anything.
Now say we're changing the distribution and they'll see $20 of the $60. Now they have more money to add more features, or take more time to add more polish. They may choose to do this rather than drop the price. Or they may choose to take more risks, knowing that the game may end up more niche and only sell half as much, or may turn out to be a home run because they're attempting something new and unique.

This isn't like making lemonade where a huge fall in the price of lemons changes the margins on a fixed recipe and therefore consumers may expect to see some of that themselves. The added money here may simply be reinvested elsewhere rather than the consumer's pocket. And this can still be very good for that same consumer rather than simply developer/publisher greed.

Certainly publishers could re-invest their increased profits into making better games. But that doesn't mean that they will, or that it's necessarily smart for them to. Ultimately the point for them is to make money. In deciding if they should increase the budget for the next game, the only factor is return on investment. And if the return on investment on the last game was great, they might not be inclined to mess with the formula. Publishers love a sure thing.

35. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 14:50 Beamer

4. Lower cost SHOULD be passed onto end user since there is now no physical product, yet we know the prices remain the same.

I don't get why people are always convinced that this simply means lower prices.

Let's take A, a video game developer. Right now they are working on a game that they expect to sell one million copies. The game will sell for $60, but they'll only keep $10 of that. So they expect to make $10 million dollars in revenues. They'll spend no more than that on the game, regardless of anything.
Now say we're changing the distribution and they'll see $20 of the $60. Now they have more money to add more features, or take more time to add more polish. They may choose to do this rather than drop the price. Or they may choose to take more risks, knowing that the game may end up more niche and only sell half as much, or may turn out to be a home run because they're attempting something new and unique.

This isn't like making lemonade where a huge fall in the price of lemons changes the margins on a fixed recipe and therefore consumers may expect to see some of that themselves. The added money here may simply be reinvested elsewhere rather than the consumer's pocket. And this can still be very good for that same consumer rather than simply developer/publisher greed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 13:37 reisub

I agree. Half the charm of the PC for me is the openness and possibility to tweak things.  

33. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 13:11 venomhed

"because these services are not threatening in any way."

YES the online only providers are threatening.

Threats:
1. Brick and mortar stores. Not really a personal problem, but does affect their business, which we must take into account.
2. Long term possibility of always having to be online to use or download the entire program again should your system be damaged, replaced, destroyed, or wiped for whatever reason.
3. Exclusive control/content by a certain provider(s) steam vs gaikai vs onlive vs Amazon.
5. Inability to MOD or hack the program. This is great for games like Stalker and Arma 2 among others. An advantage however could go to online providers to prevent multiplayer hacking such as in CoD or Battlefield

So as you can see, making a huge, idiotic, statement about any change not being threatening is bad news. Think a bit about how it may affect you, or maybe it doesn't at all. To me the inability to patch or mod products is HUGE, stifling and console like. That is 100% against what PC's are about1

32. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 12:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Weaseal wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 10:18:
Lol- did Blues clear their username database at some point? I've been a reader for about 10 years but rarely comment. Tried to log in today and found all my info had been wiped since I last commented (probably about 2 years ago).
No, pretty sure not. I've been reading here since a friend of mine told me about the place(98? 99?) and posting here almost as long as nin, and I don't remember anything like that. Well except the time the database broke, by ant? or maybe it was nin from all their posts. Of course you could fire off an email to blue and see if he can find out what happened.

Considering the majority of my comments have been in the last 2/3 years, that's saying something.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 10:18 Weaseal

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 10:15:

30. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 10:15 nin

Weaseal wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 10:09:
I'm sorry, but all the hostility to these cloud-gaming services is just pathetic. Don't you people see that these services are IN ADDITION to having ownership of your games and playing locally, and not INSTEAD? You need not have cognitive dissonance about the $3000 you dropped on your gaming rig, because these services are not threatening in any way.....
Interesting, I was just reading about you: Corporate-Funded Online Astroturfing Is More Advanced/Automated Than You Might Think

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 10:11 Verno

Who the hell spends $3000 on a "rig" anyway? You can build a respectable gaming system out of a normal PC by just adding a $150 videocard these days.  

28. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 10:09 Weaseal

I'm sorry, but all the hostility to these cloud-gaming services is just pathetic. Don't you people see that these services are IN ADDITION to having ownership of your games and playing locally, and not INSTEAD? You need not have cognitive dissonance about the $3000 you dropped on your gaming rig, because these services are not threatening in any way.....
Interesting, I was just reading about you: Corporate-Funded Online Astroturfing Is More Advanced/Automated Than You Might Think

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo