Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption

JoWooD announces that Painkiller - Redemption is now available, offering a standalone first-person shooter follow-up. The game is available "on all common online platforms," as well as their own online shop. Here's a description of the game:

Welcome to a world of pain. Heaven is once again in danger and threatened by a reckless army of hell spawn monsters - and they will stop at nothing. This time, only two heroes can save heaven from total destruction: Daniel and Belial, two champions from previous Painkiller stories, have to team up and put an end to the conflict in the old epic struggle between heaven and hell. Unfortunately hell’s army is even greater and stronger than before: The new general of the abyss has been endowed with powers of all the previous leaders combined, and she’s determined to see the next war through until hell’s victory. Her legions won’t back down without a long and bloody battle. Can you survive the endless attacks of nightmarish minions and terrifying fiends?

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 16:55 Cram

Who cares who made the maps and why?

I care because someone in this thread made a post that PCF developed this game and its maps. This is absolutely false and someone needs to say something; if I were less informed about this mod and actually believed that post that PCF were involved, then bought the game only to later find out they weren't at all, I would be displeased. False information presented as fact, not going to let that go.

It's Painkiller with 5x's the amount of enemies in it.

I would argue it's not Painkiller at all, but Serious Sam on enemy spawn steroids in extremely tightly confined spaces. In Painkiller, you were progressing forward while killing enemies, not staying in one location for more then a couple minutes. In this game, you move from one small room to the next, 15 minutes at a time. Serious Sam did this, but the environments were much larger and varied so it was easier to handle. You could actually use a Rocket Launcher most of the time without being afraid of gibbing yourself.

It lasted 4 hours

That's pretty good actually. It took me over 1hr15min to beat the first level due to the need and requirement to artificially greatly expand game time through more respawns since there's no variety in level design whatsoever. I played through the second level today despite saying I wouldn't. More of the exact same. Getting all 6 done in 4 hours would be quite an accomplishment without cheats.

It was 5 whole dollars, how could there be any dismay for 5 bucks?

Because if stuff like this is allowed to, and does, sell, the price will soon move to $10, then $15 and so on for products of such absolute poor quality.

can't please 'em all (or any of 'em on BluesNews)

I fail to see how labeling our criticisms on the fact we're Bluesnews readers is relevant here. Yeah there are other threads where things get trollishly out of control and rude, but in this case we're dealing with an genuinely terrible product. It's awesome you had some fun for a bit, but in the bigger picture there is literally nothing to be pleased about with this mod.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 15:55 Kajetan

MuzixMon wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 14:28:
Who cares who made the maps and why?
Because they suck? And boy, they DO suck! This game reminds of my first Doom maps made with an editor. Just a few rooms filles with lots of enemies. No concept, no design, no thought put in. This game is not worth anything at all, not even for free. I want my money back, because for five bucks i could have had a sixpack and chips

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 15:35 HorrorScope

Yep and JR is better off saving that $5 for something bigger and better.

I love how far we've come, to expecting free mods, addon's, downloads etc. To now DLC'ed to death and $5 for something bad is ok, because it's only $5. Makes me want to get something small and crappy to the market, because well... it's only $5.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 14:42 Razumen

Good to know this isn't worth the money, last painkiller game I bought was Redemption, and boy was that ever mediocre. JoWooD needs to know that these half-assed "sequels" just won't cut it.  

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 14:28 MuzixMon

Well I guess I'm just more easy going as a majority of you are. I loved Painkiller, I bought the expansions and it never lived up to the original. Along comes this one and for $5.00 I jumped into it. Who cares who made the maps and why? It's Painkiller with 5x's the amount of enemies in it. It had some cheesy Metal riffs like the original Painkiller. It lasted 4 hours, I had fun, game ran smooth and I got what I expected. It was 5 whole dollars, how could there be any dismay for 5 bucks? You can't even get a crappy value meal for that. Oh well... can't please 'em all (or any of 'em on BluesNews)  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 14:06 Beamer

Rockn-Roll wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 13:41:
Uhm...everyone does know that the maps used in this release were indeed left over from an abandonded new Painkiller sequel. They most definitely will not have the polish that a planned and budgeted release would have...People Can Fly (PCF) and JoWooD have made this clear. Instead of never seeing them JoWooD...as a favor to People Can Fly and Painkiller fans...decided to let PCF finalize these maps and release them.

$5 is next to nothing by today's standards. Even a 10 year old can earn $5 in an hour or less...PCF probably spent 4 months or more on these maps.

Not a single part of this is factually accurate.
PCF had nothing to do with this. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

From Wikipedia:
Painkiller: Redemption is an add-on released in February 25, 2011, as a downloadable game. Similarly to Overdose, the new expansion pack was originally a mod, created by a small group of fans under the label Eggtooth. It features new heavy metal soundtrack, better graphics, and 6 levels with nearly 6000 enemies to kill. Redemption continues the story of the series, featuring the return of Daniel Garner and Belial, both as playable characters. The development team promises a free post-release support for the game, which may include DLCs with multiplayer, co-op, or a new singleplayer chapter.

So this isn't leftover maps from an abandoned PCF sequel, they're leftover maps from a mod that was released commercially for $5.

$5 is indeed nothing by today's standards, but I'm not paying it for this shit. I won't buy a kick to the crotch for $5, I won't buy headlice for $5, and I won't buy a shitty mod for a 6 year old game for $5.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 14:05 Cram

Oh man...

Ok. First of all, People Can Fly had nothing to do with the development of Redemption. The sole developer was Eggtooth Team. People Can Fly have never said or made anything "clear" in regards to this project. They're not involved.

Second, these maps are NOT from any abandoned project. These are the maps in question used in Redemption:

DM_Illuminati
DM_Mine
DM_ExMortis
CTF_CHAOS
DM_Fallen1

These are finished multiplayer maps from other previous expansions or fan-made maps (Eggtooth Team did not create any of them).

Third: If you think paying $1, $2, $5 or $100 for crap is acceptable, you either have way more money then you know what to do with, or you have no real concept of money in the first place.

Fourth: I was having a crashing problem so I went to a couple different forums to get help. There I found other people with various issues and for the most part expressing them respectfully. Eggtooth is there, posting. He's rude, way to defensive and hostile. Nothing like seeing people pay money for a product, have problems with it and then be yelled at by the developer. I regret supporting this joker.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 13:41 Rockn-Roll

Uhm...everyone does know that the maps used in this release were indeed left over from an abandonded new Painkiller sequel. They most definitely will not have the polish that a planned and budgeted release would have...People Can Fly (PCF) and JoWooD have made this clear. Instead of never seeing them JoWooD...as a favor to People Can Fly and Painkiller fans...decided to let PCF finalize these maps and release them.

$5 is next to nothing by today's standards. Even a 10 year old can earn $5 in an hour or less...PCF probably spent 4 months or more on these maps.

Let's Rock!

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 13:27 Cram

I got through the first level, and I'm done. Can't be bothered to keep playing. This is not Painkiller, despite whatever the developer Eggtooth says. Painkiller didn't keep you locked up in one small area at a time for 15+ minutes at a time just button mashing and bunny hopping.

This being only $5 does not excuse the complete lack of variety, boredom, terrible load times, horrible spawning, re-used levels (I'm told some of these levels are MP levels from previous expansions) and a slew of other issues. Crap, avoid.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 11:11 Nameless Again

I learned my lesson with Overdose. Five bucks is still five bucks. Pass.  

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 27, 2011, 04:57 Kajetan

MuzixMon wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 15:51:
If you were a fan of the original painkiller, pick this up for 5 bucks.
No, please dont!

I am a great fan of Painkiller and its addon. I found Overdose not that good, but enough entertaining. But Ressurection was bad and this rippoff just to make a few bucks for a dying publisher ...
I picked this up. It's terrible. It's stupid. It's boring. It's not fun. It's a waste of five good bucks. Avoid!

8. Re: Feb 26, 2011, 21:48 necrosis

Vigil wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 18:20:
You got me excited there, and then I clicked through and discovered it's only on Microsoft's Windows platform.
This is a... surprise?

7. Re: Feb 26, 2011, 20:14 Rigs

Err, I think you misunderstood...(or I am)...what he meant was all common online sites, like STEAM, D2D, GamersGate, TRYOnline, Impulse...not OS platforms/consoles...though I'll give you that, it is a little confusing when said in that manner... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 26, 2011, 20:13 Rockn-Roll

I'm looking forward to shooting some stakes and collecting souls, as well as discovering all the secret stuff...a game that let's you know what there is to search for. I hope the music lives up to the original Painkiller. It should be fun.  

Let's Rock!

5. "all common online platforms" Feb 26, 2011, 18:20 Vigil

You got me excited there, and then I clicked through and discovered it's only on Microsoft's Windows platform.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 26, 2011, 16:53 Hump

Poor Painkiller, Dreamcatcher pulls it out of the closet once again like an old burlesque whore dancing for change from filthy old men. A complete lack of respect for a once great IP.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 26, 2011, 16:45 StingingVelvet

MuzixMon wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 15:51:
If you were a fan of the original painkiller, pick this up for 5 bucks. It's about 4 hours of gameplay and it's worth it. In those 4 hours or so you will kill 6,000 monsters... It's insane! Graphics look refined, gameplay is smooth. It throws a ton of enemies at you at the same time and if you are playing on harder levels expect to die a lot. I had a blast with it, moreso than I am with Bulletstorm for sure.

Hmmm... sounds good. For $4.50 DRM free on Gamersgate it's pretty much a can't lose I guess.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 26, 2011, 16:38 Cram

Just went through Battle out of Hell for the first time yesterday.
I didn't really enjoy it; probably should have played on Insomnia difficulty instead. The card challenges were absurd and things were way to inconsistent. That roller coaster....wtf was that?

I'll give this a shot if only to just put, hopefully, closure to the ridiculous story and kill a few hours.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Painkiller - Redemption Feb 26, 2011, 15:51 MuzixMon

If you were a fan of the original painkiller, pick this up for 5 bucks. It's about 4 hours of gameplay and it's worth it. In those 4 hours or so you will kill 6,000 monsters... It's insane! Graphics look refined, gameplay is smooth. It throws a ton of enemies at you at the same time and if you are playing on harder levels expect to die a lot. I had a blast with it, moreso than I am with Bulletstorm for sure.  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo