Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2011, 07:45 avianflu

Apple No Longer 'Thinks Different'.

Not a fan of Apple's closed systems and expensive hardware but geez this article is rambling, whiny and pointless.

A 600 buck ipad with a pretty screen and not much else going for it? And then it sells well to the public. Now that's something to talk about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2011, 01:07 xXBatmanXx

IT Graduates Not 'Well-Trained, Ready-To-Go

That is true of ANY job. I rarely used ANY SKILLS learned in my 4 years of college for any job I have done. That is why most new grads take entry level positions.

On the job training far exceeds damn near anything learned in the classroom in almost any field. maybe outside of some sciences, etc.

I had the benefit of being a full time consultant before I even graduated, which allowed me to land a bigger and better job. After that my degree and job experience landed me an even better job in the private sector.

New grads would be wise to take on a PT or FT job WHILE they are going to school. Having zero experience really hurts your chances.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 26, 2011, 20:49 Akuinnen

ldonyo wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 16:43:
Everywhere I've working over the last three decades has had its share of tools, policies and practices that needed to be learned before you could start being productive.

That is definitely true. No one benefits from a new hire that starts screwing with things from day one, without taking the time to learn a new environment. It can cost a company thousands of dollars. I've seen this happen a few times with cocky "know it all"s.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 26, 2011, 19:48 Jerykk

HardOCP gets their hands on the next high-end GPU and they test it with... Dragon Age 2? What? They should have tested it with Crysis, Metro 2033 or any number of games that are far more demanding.  

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 26, 2011, 16:43 ldonyo

IT Graduates articled linked just fine for me. I never believed Apple ever thought differently, just more expensively.

Too bad the IT Grads article didn't list the companies that hired unprepared graduates and then complained about said graduates unpreparedness. I think that says more about hiring practices than applicants.

No one newly hired into IT by an organization will be "ready to go" the moment all of the HR paperwork is finished unless said organization is also starting on the same day. Everywhere I've working over the last three decades has had its share of tools, policies and practices that needed to be learned before you could start being productive. From help desk ticketing systems to source code management applications, new hires need to learn the ropes before they can be turned loose on an unsuspecting user base.

1. Apple No Longer 'Thinks Different' Feb 26, 2011, 16:10 Dan =0)

Story link leads to an HTTP 404 error.

PC World pulled the story, apparently - even a link to the story in their own forums leads to the 404...

Maybe Steve had a word with them?

EDIT: Same thing with the IT-candidates-not-being-well-trained link... Also PC World. Weird...

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo