Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief 4 Image

French website JeuxVideo.fr has a photo of some play testing of Thief 4 at Eidos Montreal, showing what appears to be Garrett wielding a bow from a third-person perspective. We should expect more information soon about the stealth sequel, as it is planned to be shown off at the Game Developers Conference, which kicks off in San Francisco on Monday, though the focus of that session will be "The Application of Generative Music." Thanks Strategy Informer.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 26, 2011, 13:54 Umbragen

People like to rag on Thief 3, it wasn't a bad game. It had moments that were as good as anything the Thief Series ever offered. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get the game to run on modern hardware and operating systems with anything approaching passable stability, on ATI hardware anyway.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 26, 2011, 10:21 Ray Marden

Why not do both?

They took out something from the two games that were released...

They replaced a system that generally worked well with one that frequently bugged out...

They replaced a relatively dynamic, player-controlled approach with a relatively constrained, pre-defined approach...

Thinking that is not how I would spell "win,"
Ray Unless you spell the work with a "y," I guess. Lulz.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2011, 10:42.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

39. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 26, 2011, 07:11 Jerykk

There will be a lot of things that make it feel more like a videogame. Like the fact that Garrett will probably have regenerating health.  

38. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 26, 2011, 04:34 osage no onna

I really don't see why everyone hates the gloves and loves the rope arrows. Just because they were there first? The wooden beams jutting out of walls make it really apparent where you should be doing some climbing, which in turn makes the whole thing feel more like a video game to me.  

37. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 22:44 CythrawL

All I can say is that there better be damn rope arrows in this one...  

36. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 21:09 captawe

IMO it probably won't be worse than T3:DS, so the fact that they're making a T4 is cool with me. As a die-hard PC gamer whose real PC games are few and far between, I'm happy to settle for a Thief-ish T4. It'll probably still be better than 95% of the console-ish shit out there now.  

35. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 19:49 Prez

Thief has the best atmosphere of any game series ever, hands down. I can't wait for this.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 18:35 Cutter

GarrettTX1 wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 18:13:
Zoom wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:40:
You missed one of the most awesome and frightening video game missions of all times, Shalebridge Cradle...
+100. Jordan Thomas (with Randy Smith's help..) may have created one of the scariest, most immersive game levels ever IMO. And with Eric Brosious on the sound - it's flat out amazing IMO. Told a lot of my friends who were considering Deadly Shadows - it wasn't that great, but to buy the game just for The Cradle level.

Longtime Thief/LGS fanboy here - so ultra hyped for anything Thief again & also think DE:HR looks pretty good so far as well...

Hells yeah! I kept jumping out of my seat in there, literally. And a few points I had to pause and just take 5 because I was getting so worked up and freaked out. No other game has ever done that for me before.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 18:13 GarrettTX1

Zoom wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:40:
You missed one of the most awesome and frightening video game missions of all times, Shalebridge Cradle...
+100. Jordan Thomas (with Randy Smith's help..) may have created one of the scariest, most immersive game levels ever IMO. And with Eric Brosious on the sound - it's flat out amazing IMO. Told a lot of my friends who were considering Deadly Shadows - it wasn't that great, but to buy the game just for The Cradle level.

Longtime Thief/LGS fanboy here - so ultra hyped for anything Thief again & also think DE:HR looks pretty good so far as well...

32. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 18:08 Akuinnen

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 16:41:
All of you shut up! Just shut the hell up! Don't anyone dare jinx or naysay this

I think you've got it backwards. When everyone says "This is going to be the bestest game EVER!" the game ends up sucking. At least if you say "This game is going to suck!" you could always be pleasantly surprised.

31. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:50 reisub

I really liked Thievery so multiplayer in that vein would be nice. *hint hint*  

30. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:41 Cutter

All of you shut up! Just shut the hell up! Don't anyone dare jinx or naysay this or I will hunt you down and bake you into a pie like that orc demon guy in the kitchen in Legend which was actually a pretty good flick all things considered and wasn't Tim Curry wicked good as Darkness?

Zut alors! Tout le monde! This game is going to rule. I command it! Whilst I would have to give the edge to Fallout, the Thief series runs a very close second as my favourite series of all time. I'm going to be all over this game like cheap cologne on a hooker! Like white on rice! Like a fat kid on cake! And we're all going to play it and love it and laugh and cry and shriek with girlish glee at the scary parts! Eeek!

So, yes, you could say I'm looking forward to this.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:30 Ratty

Flatline wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 16:18:
Err... T2 had the same engine and similar AI... and... oh wait, this a troll?
They both used the dark engine but T2's was based on System Shock 2's version and had, among other things 16 bit textures rather than 8-bit - I'm no graphics whore but even to my eye the difference there was drastic - and could do longer lines of sight and huger areas. They constructed the City in missions like "Tracing the Courier" in one single huge air brush, something that would have brought Thief 1 to its knees. The AI was much improved especially in how they searched for you. They could do things like if you climbed up somewhere out of reach they would go call an archer to come shoot at you, and other less noticeable nice things.

Back to monsters though. Why do you think you couldn't sneak past monsters? The only difference there was you could kill a monster on expert level if you wanted to without failing the mission.

28. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:18 Flatline

Ratty wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 16:13:
Flatline wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 15:27:
Thief 2 was superior in almost every way imaginable to the original Thief.

I enjoyed the story to T1 better personally, but you're not remembering the monsters and undead levels that took all that lovely sneaking gameplay and threw it away.
OMG you have it so backwards. Though Thief 2 was no slouch - it had a better engine and better AI - Thief 1 is pretty much the unanimous favorite among die-hard Thief fans. You silly newbie. Monsters and undead were one of the things that made Thief 1 so legendary. Anyway, Thief 2 had plenty of monsters and undead. LGS just decided to keep them in their own separate missions and not mix undead and "living" in the same mission. But look over any list of T2 missions and you'll remember.

Err... T2 had the same engine and similar AI... and... oh wait, this a troll?

27. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 16:13 Ratty

Flatline wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 15:27:

I enjoyed the story to T1 better personally, but you're not remembering the monsters and undead levels that took all that lovely sneaking gameplay and threw it away.
OMG you have it so backwards. Though Thief 2 was no slouch - it had a better engine and better AI - Thief 1 is pretty much the unanimous favorite among die-hard Thief fans. You silly newbie. Monsters and undead were one of the things that made Thief 1 so legendary. Anyway, Thief 2 had plenty of monsters and undead. LGS just decided to keep them in their own separate missions and not mix undead and "living" in the same mission. But look over any list of T2 missions and you'll remember.

26. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 15:44 StingingVelvet

Looks... pretty damn inconclusive for anything, really.  

25. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 15:27 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 10:41:
I cant seem to get excited about these kinds of games anymore, the first game was awesome but its sequels, and every other "stealth" based game since were well rather poor compared to the first one...

And before you mention it, Batman's stealth parts were probably the most boring parts of the game...

Unless you dig run & gun shit.

As for being an AssCreed clone, Thief might benefit from a little climbing action, but it'd have to be carefully designed. Levels would have to be sprawling and open, and the easiest way into a given building shouldn't necessarily be "through the roof".

I'd definitely stay away from the free-running stuff though.

24. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 14:00 Akuinnen

It looks very... bright. I'm expecting this to be a Assassins Creed clone.  

23. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 13:31 Ray Marden

From as much as we can gleam from one crappy photo, it looks promising. So long as they can maintain similar gameplay to the two games that were released, this could be fun.

Please no AC gameplay, I wouldn't mind the disappearance of glinting, create some large/unique/vertical environments, and...maybe...just maybe...bring back my rope arrows and let me remember how to climb up them!
Huzzah!
Hoping it doesn't become an action game,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

22. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 13:06 Tanto Edge

*Does a little jig.*
Looks sweet, in a blurry, shaky came sort of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo