Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RIFT Head Start Underway

The RIFT Website announces that the head start program for Trion Worlds' MMORPG is now underway, saying: "Head Start is here, and everyone who has pre-ordered RIFT will be able to join the fight for the fate of Telara starting at 10:00 AM PST on Feb. 24, 2011! It’s time to enter the nexus of the planes and wage war on the forces of the Blood Storm. For more information on Head Start, visit www.RIFTgame.com/headstart." In addition, Trion announces they have registered more than one million accounts for the game:

Trion Worlds announced today that more than one million accounts have been created to date, signaling a high level of interest for the company’s first massively multiplayer online game, Rift™, which is scheduled to launch March 1st in North America, March 3rd in pan-European countries, and March 4th in the UK. The news hits just as the game’s Head Start period begins, giving pre-order customers advance playtime before servers officially open on launch day.

Launching with 33 Head Start servers, Rift will feature dedicated realms for PvP, PvE, and role-playing players. Servers are live today, coinciding with the game’s Head Start period, which lasts until the game launches next week. Find the official server list on Rift’s official forums at: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?79032-Official-Rift-Server-List!&p=1198848#post1198848

Rift pre-orders are available at www.RIFTgame.com/preorder and special Founder’s Subscription plans remain available until March 15th.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 12:07 Ant

mch wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:58:
Reading your thread, I wouldn't think it's a driver issue, since I'm using an oooooold set of Catalyst drivers (before they broke some old Popcap games)
Ah OK. Well, we're not the only with these problems. Like I said, I have no problems with other games like Crysis 1, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 11:58 mch

Reading your thread, I wouldn't think it's a driver issue, since I'm using an oooooold set of Catalyst drivers (before they broke some old Popcap games)  
PSN: CaseDesignate

19. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 11:47 Ant

mch wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:41:
Ant wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:13:
Maybe, but isn't 1280x1024 resolution and the video card enough? I even disabled low video rendering and setting everything to low details, and I still had problems. Or maybe XP Pro. SP3 with its DirectX 9.0c (June 2010)?

Yeah I don't really know, just throwing that out there. My understanding is that more VRAM is mostly useful for higher-res textures, etc. was running it under Win7 64bit, so there's another difference.
How much RAM does the higher end video stuff is needed for 1280x1024? Even using lowest details for higher stuff didn't work. Weird. Maybe it's DirectX 10+ only? I can't find details on what are needed. Like I said, support is weak!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 11:41 mch

Ant wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:13:
Maybe, but isn't 1280x1024 resolution and the video card enough? I even disabled low video rendering and setting everything to low details, and I still had problems. Or maybe XP Pro. SP3 with its DirectX 9.0c (June 2010)?

Yeah I don't really know, just throwing that out there. My understanding is that more VRAM is mostly useful for higher-res textures, etc.

I was running it under Win7 64bit, so there's another difference.

17. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 11:13 Ant

mch wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 10:55:
I played a bit of the open beta on a 4870 (1GB), and had no problems. I wonder if it's due to the VRAM? ...

1, 2, 3, 4, and my forum thread with screen shots and details, etc. I will wait until these issues get resolved.

16. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 mch

I played a bit of the open beta on a 4870 (1GB), and had no problems. I wonder if it's due to the VRAM?

As for the game, it seemed polished enough, but unfortunately I didn't have enough time to get into it (only got to about lvl 12). From what I saw, the class/talent structure was interesting. The Rift stuff just reminded me of the public quests in Warhammer. Seemed a bit bland.

15. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 09:32 Ant

Drezden wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 07:49:
I had a 4870 (Well, Crossfired 4870's) all through 7 betas and the entire Alpha, Ant. And I have to say I never ran into the problems you did during that time. So your issues are probably uncommon, perhaps your card is going bad? ...
I doubt it is bad since my other games and programs have no problems with it. The video card was cleaned from dust after Christmas 2010 too. I forgot to mention that I am still running old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 with its DirectX 9.0c.

14. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 09:30 NicklePop

Rift is a decent MMO, I doubt it will kill WoW, but is a viable alternative if you are burned out.  

13. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 09:17 justice7

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 05:28:
F2P inside a year.

I am quite tired of your posts. I don't post often, but i've been here for a long time. You bash nearly every single game out there, especially MMO's.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2011, 12:01.

12. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 07:49 Trevellian

I had a 4870 (Well, Crossfired 4870's) all through 7 betas and the entire Alpha, Ant. And I have to say I never ran into the problems you did during that time. So your issues are probably uncommon, perhaps your card is going bad?

And Cutter why don't you stay out of these Rift threads with your F2P comments, we all know by now you want single player MMO's that you can quest through alone and then quit. Sorry, not going to be the case for this game. Lots of guilds have transfered in from WoW, Aion and Warhammer due to the beta. They have a ton of servers that are already filled to the brim with queue times and have been slowly opening more.

It's the largest release I've seen since WoW. And I played Aion and Warhammer at release, so I can compare quite easily.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

11. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 05:28 Cutter

F2P inside a year.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 04:00 Ant

I played the last 45 minutes of the final beta. I was having major problems with my ATI Radeon 4870 (512 MB) video card with it. It had to use low graphic details renderer, graphic corruptions when trying to use higher options, and showed flicker cutscenes. Also I ran into uninstaller bug that didn't fully uninstall! I see others have the same problems in the forum:

I was disappointed by all these problems so I am going to wait. Also, the support guys didn't say anything about them either.

9. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 02:42 Avecrien

I had a 30 second wait in the queue when I got home from work. Game was completely stable for the first 6 hours I played for. I've had a few bumps in the last half hour.
It is very much a standard MMO in most regards, but the class dynamics and the group dynamics that result from them make the game fresh and fun for me. Stepping back away from the trinity is nice.
Of course when GW2 comes out and it's obliterated that'll be even better. But I see no reason not to enjoy myself between then and now.

8. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 25, 2011, 02:23 Bhruic

On the other hand, be careful which server you jump on, as some have some rather lengthy queue times. I've been hearing a lot of 4-6 hour waits... Luckily I didn't have anything that extreme yet, but we'll see tomorrow.  

7. No subject Feb 24, 2011, 20:50 AnointedSword

What Akuinnen said.

I also would like to add that Rift almost feels like a class B title. In the class of Warhammer, not Wow.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2011, 20:55.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

6. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 24, 2011, 20:48 Akuinnen

ASeven wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 19:02:
I've been hearing more and more that this may be the game that stands against WoW

Not likely. I played to level 20 until I got bored. The soul system is very cool. Rifts are fun, but they get repetitive after a while. The quests are very basic kill, collect etc.

I am completely WoW'd out, but the quests in WoW are much more advanced, diverse and interesting in WoW. Rifts quests are more inline with where WoW was in 2004.

5. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 24, 2011, 20:32 wtf_man

I've been hearing more and more that this may be the game that stands against WoW. Not being a MMORPG player but curious about hearing about a MMORPG that may challenge the behemoth that is WoW, anyone care to give their opinion? I've heard the game already has 1 million players into it and to be honest it would be fun to see a MMORPG finally stand firm against WoW.

It's basically the same shit with different paint. (Typical shallow MMO gameplay).

It's just "fairly polished" same shit with different paint... so if you have done a lot of buggy MMO launches... this might be "refreshing" for you.

I'd rather just wait for Guild Wars 2 since that will be a persistant world with better public questing... basically it should be "Rift on Steroids"... AND WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION FEE.

4. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 24, 2011, 20:22 Alamar

I've been hearing more and more that this may be the game that stands against WoW. Not being a MMORPG player but curious about hearing about a MMORPG that may challenge the behemoth that is WoW, anyone care to give their opinion? I've heard the game already has 1 million players into it and to be honest it would be fun to see a MMORPG finally stand firm against WoW.

I am enjoying Rift quite a bit, and I think it's a great game, with a lot of potential... And I would enjoy it much more if the 4-5h queues weren't there, and that's no exaggeration... i think it's crazy so many people stand in line in this queue while I'm waiting... Damn addicts...

But it, and nothing, ever, is a WoW killer... WoW contender, like, a life saver candy is to a bag of Werther's Original (Butterscotch candy), sure...

-Alamar

3. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 24, 2011, 19:41 eunichron

I've been in the beta since beta 5. As far as gameplay, if you've played WoW or Warhammer you'll have no trouble jumping right in and getting started.

The soul tree system is interesting, it adds extra depths of character customization and talent synergy.

The rift and zone invasion events are fun as hell, and you don't necessarily have to be in a guild to reap the benefits.

The skill/spell synergy is interesting, where other abilities play off each other (similar to what WoW did with Cataclysm), however with some classes it seems as though there are too many skills with niche uses. This makes it feel a bit overwhelming, especially at lower levels, when by level 10 you might already have 10-15 different abilities, some of which are similar.

All in all I think it can be a good contender to WoW if they are able to keep up with content release. The biggest obstacle to WoW now is 6 years worth of content. Any new MMO will have to be on top of their game to keep it alive.

2. Re: RIFT Head Start Underway Feb 24, 2011, 19:25 Zavy

its alright its no wow killer.. its too much like warhammer for my liking.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo