Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer

The Elder Scrolls Website now offers a trailer from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, the upcoming fifth installment in the role-playing series. The clip includes cinematics and gameplay, showing off environments, monsters, and combat. We've posted a copy to the YouTube, which is embedded below.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 16:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Most of Beamer's suggestions were implemented by various mods to some degree and in various combinations. I used OOO (and later FCOM which incorporated it) to fix the leveling issues. Made the game MUCH more fun and interesting.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 15:35 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 15:20:
And later, when I had 143 chameleon I would get bored

Ur doing it wrong.

Creston

56. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 15:20 Beamer

Actually, they wouldn't see it, because when THEY walk past that spawn point, it just spawns scamps again

Well that makes me feel better, because otherwise poor hunters are running out to make a living and suddenly encountering frickin' xivali or whatever its name was.

Then again, the poor imperial woodsman I encountered usually died quick deaths. Around level 15 or so I walked into a cave full of bears and trolls. I figured I could take them, but I ended up wrong and I high-tailed it out of there. I came across a woodsman and hid behind him as the troll that followed me out of a cave ripped him to pieces.

And later, when I had 143 chameleon (yeah, I know, there are at least 2 things wrong with me having 143 chameleon) I would get bored and walk into a camp, take off my armor, have the bandits chase me until I found a monster or three, put the armor back on and see who'd win. Turns out ogres can take almost anything.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 14:52 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 13:05:
The only other solution, in my opinion, is to do a plotline where the evil is rapidly advancing. I always thought it odd that no one ever mentioned how, before you arrived in Cyrodil, the worst thing wandering the roads was the occasional wolf, but six months later the entire place is full of ogres, minotaur lords, etc., and prior the worst thing in caves were basic goblins but now they're full of skeleton champions. Surely the massive ramping up in monster difficulty would be noticed and affect everyone else!

Rotfl

Actually, they wouldn't see it, because when THEY walk past that spawn point, it just spawns scamps again.

Creston

54. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 25, 2011, 14:48 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 14:16:
Cabezone wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 12:27:
Is it just me or do the animations not look terrible?
That's probably because the person who did the main sets of pose packs and animation rewrites in Oblivion was hired by Bethesda. The one who did MMM hired by Bethesda. The guy who did OOO hired by Bethesda. Lot of modders who did some serious quality work in TESIV, FO3 got either contract or full time jobs with them.

Oscuro got hired by Obsidian, not Bethesda. I hadn't heard about Martigen being hired by anyone?

Creston

53. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 14:28 gilly775

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 21:43:
still, there is nothing else like it (two worlds is shit)

Fable III and Witcher 2 both coming out in a few months. Similar?

Lol. You did not just compare this to Fable 3. Please, let's not compare a console knock-off to this! Rolleyes

52. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 14:07 jdreyer

All great points, Beamer. I preferred Oblivion's dynamic leveling to Morrowind's static one. Once I was high enough, it was disappointment after disappointment in Morrowind as it was just too easy to waltz through most of the dungeons I encountered. "This dungeon would have been so awesome if it were just a bit more challenging." Oblivion still had low level rats and stuff, although, yeah, suddenly having bandits encased in glass armor was odd, so definitely room for improvement. Also, NPCs didn't level nearly as well as the MOBs, so at higher levels, quests involving NPCs invariably lead to their deaths compared to lower levels.

As for not getting any respect, I though the reputation system in Oblivion, while not perfect, worked pretty well. Once I whacked a few gates, everyone's dispostion toward me was much improved.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

51. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 13:05 Beamer

This. I always liked it better progressing through zones of differing difficulty. Going back to old zones to smash faces and testing your skill in new zones where mobs are initially tougher.

Again, I still feel you need some leveling here because otherwise the player would be forced to either balance multiple quest streams at once (and sorry, once I start the thieves guild quest line I want to keep doing it, not keep breaking it up and coming back to it) or you end up with too easy quests (meaning that once you finish one guild's quests all the others would be so easy they're barely worth doing.)

Then again, this would fix the problem of people treating you like dirt in the Fighter's Guild despite you being the Arena Champion, Cyrodil Champion, Archmage and Knight of the Nine.

My solution would be threefold:
1) Variation. Few areas should be totally safe, so monsters should be a random level that's determined by your level but could vary greatly. So there'd be a small chance a level 1 would come across a level 10 monster in the middle of nowhere and shit his pants.
2) Locking. Certain areas should lock to your skill level. Go into a cave once and it's full of scamps, come back 15 levels later and they aren't magically different monsters. It's still a scamp cave, only now it reminds you of how much more powerful you are. Or maybe you walk in and it's Minotaur Lords but you're a low level. Come back later and now you can actually fight them.
3) Certain areas will ALWAYS be certain levels. Dark mountains will always be level 40 or whatever. The highest level sewers will always be level 1-5.

Mixing these three up will give you variation, a sense of accomplishment, freedom to do whatever whenever, and occasional surprises.

The only other solution, in my opinion, is to do a plotline where the evil is rapidly advancing. I always thought it odd that no one ever mentioned how, before you arrived in Cyrodil, the worst thing wandering the roads was the occasional wolf, but six months later the entire place is full of ogres, minotaur lords, etc., and prior the worst thing in caves were basic goblins but now they're full of skeleton champions. Surely the massive ramping up in monster difficulty would be noticed and affect everyone else!

Then again, no one ever comments on you murdering 600-1000 people, which as I mentioned in another thread has to be a solid 5-10% of Cyrodil's entire population. You're a one man black plague!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 12:19 Pankin

InBlack wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 06:26:
Please please pretty please no level scaling monsters and NPCs this time around...

I don't think there's anything (that I've seen) to suggest that leveling in V will be different than what it was in IV. I don't think Bethesda believes this leveling concern is anything more than the fabled "vocal minority" and I think they're right. Hence: no changes to leveling, probably. If there were a change of this kind planned, I think they'd have mentioned it in a myriad previews I've read.

Besides, I guaran-GOT-DAMN-tee that a mod will be created that addresses the leveling game mechanic. Plus a thousand other mods that do a thousand other things.

49. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 25, 2011, 12:01 Creston

This looks awesome. I'm so fucking excited for this game, it's not even funny.

Creston

48. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 10:43 Elessar

I thought it was an exciting trailer. Reservations aside, I'm looking forward to this. Especially now.

InBlack wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 06:26:
Please please pretty please no level scaling monsters and NPCs this time around...
This. I always liked it better progressing through zones of differing difficulty. Going back to old zones to smash faces and testing your skill in new zones where mobs are initially tougher.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

47. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 25, 2011, 06:26 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

46. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 24, 2011, 23:35 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 21:43:

No.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

45. Re: Arena... Feb 24, 2011, 23:12 Jerykk

And I would have expected to come across more bugs than an average game because I sunk over 150hrs into it.

There were some pretty major bugs in the game, like NPCs falling out of the world and spawns no longer occurring after a certain amount of playtime. There was also the issue where animations would start to slow down and eventually stop completely, breaking the game. I don't think that one occurred until after 300 hours of playtime, though.

44. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 24, 2011, 21:43 jdreyer

43. Re: Launch Date too aggressive Feb 24, 2011, 19:53 bigspender

EDIT PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSSEEE HAVE CO-OP SO I CAN PLAY WITH MY OTHER 1/2!!! instead of taking turns

looks awesome, but seems to still have the usual elderscrolls wonkyness and wooden character animation.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2011, 20:04.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

42. Launch Date too aggressive Feb 24, 2011, 19:26 jdreyer

My main concern is that the 11.11.11 date, while a cool launch date, is too aggressive, and the game will ship buggy. Bethesda games always do. I'm probably going to wait until 2012 to pick this up.  

41. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 24, 2011, 19:14 mlw

The visuals and music brings a tear to the eye.

Definite Day 1 purchase.

I see a PC upgrade near. My daughter needs a newer computer (my current).

40. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 24, 2011, 19:12 jdreyer

i am happy to see that a lot of the ugly and over-used bloom and HDR effects are more sparingly used this time. Oblivion was ridiculous with the bloom. The white sheep glowed like they were light sources.

The overuse of bloom combined with HDR was one of my favorite things about Oblivion. It gave the whole game a dream-like, ethereal atmosphere. It looked like nothing else, and really served to transport me to that world.

I'm liking the more stark look of Skyrim, tho.

39. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 24, 2011, 18:54 Ray Marden

I am certainly far more interested in this than DA2.

My only nitpick is the environments which all seem a bit similar and/or unoriginal.......but there really isn't too much you can do with swords and dragons. Regardless, it is a TES game which means hours upon hours upon hours of gameplay.

I think Oblivion was a fantastic step in the right direction and, like others have said, I hope they continue improving the combat balance, leveling aspect, and manage to make it feel like a vibrant world.

Eyeing the 6950 line for my next upgrade...,
Ray You know, once I can get a hold of a #$!$@% SB motherboard...

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo