Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II Demo

The Dragon Age Website now offers downloads of the promised playable demo for Dragon Age II, BioWare's RPG sequel. The demo is available in three varieties, an English demo which includes Español, Italiano, Polski, and Русский subtitles, which is mirrored on AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, Gamer's Hell, WorthPlaying; a Deutsch demo, which is mirrored on Gamer's Hell; and a demo en Français, which is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell. They also remind us of the previously announced promotion that will provide players with two in-game items if the demo achieves one million downloads and logins by March 1st, and word is that all players who complete the demo by May 31st will receive and additional in-game item. Here's word:

In the demo, players will venture through the game's prologue, choosing from three different character classes. They'll also learn more about Hawke and hone their skills and abilities that will make them the ultimate hero. After finishing the prologue, players will enter a key new location in the world of Dragon Age, Kirkwall, befriending Isabela, a romantic interest in the game who is also a deadly smuggler. Upon completion of the demo, players will unlock a special weapon, Hayder's Razor, an ancient dwarven blade which increases health, mana, and combat abilities, in the full release of Dragon Age 2.

View
154 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

114. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 15:21 Verno

Jesus you people are so dead set on hating this game you can't even think clearly.

Are you having a bad week or something? You've been posting a lot of stuff like this lately. A lot of people don't even hate the game, they are posting their specific problems with the demo and you just keep saying "no its small you guys are weird" type stuff even when its not. Literally running around in a circle isn't exactly the kind of strategy people enjoyed from the combat in DA:O. That's a far different thing from saying avoidance in combat is bad, good grief. I get yelling at the "Fuk EA sux!!" crowd but some people are being fairly reasonable(heck you even challenged everyone to post whats "wrong" with the game) and their opinions are just as valid as yours.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

113. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 15:04 Wowbagger_TIP

It's not going to win every battle for you because of ranged and magic enemies and it won't even necessarily work against melee enemies because you have to stop to attack or cast... it's not a win button.
Yeah, except that they've made casting practically instantaneous now.

Jesus you people are so dead set on hating this game you can't even think clearly.
Jesus, you're so dead set on loving this game you can't even think clearly.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

112. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 14:55 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 11:38:
Seriously? You think that being able to endlessly run around in circles while occassionally pausing to throw off a spell should be a "viable" combat tactic? Especially against an enemy that's supposed to be as potent as an Ogre is?

If you've got no problem with that, no wonder you like the game, you're exactly the type of simpleton they are apparently catering to.

So keeping away from an enemy should never be a tactic? If you're mage is swarmed in DA:O and you take control of her and run away from the enemies it's a bad game? I don't get it. Shit man, playing keep away from tough enemies has been a staple in pretty much every genre, including tactical RPGs, since they were created. Even in turn-based games you move away from melee enemies if you're about to die.

It's not going to win every battle for you because of ranged and magic enemies and it won't even necessarily work against melee enemies because you have to stop to attack or cast... it's not a win button.

111. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 11:38 Bhruic

And running away should not be a viable option against melee characters?

Seriously? You think that being able to endlessly run around in circles while occassionally pausing to throw off a spell should be a "viable" combat tactic? Especially against an enemy that's supposed to be as potent as an Ogre is?

If you've got no problem with that, no wonder you like the game, you're exactly the type of simpleton they are apparently catering to.

110. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 11:16 Eldaron Imotholin

To me the demo feels like a dumbed down, rushed piece of crap that received no loving whatsoever in the making of it.

The environments are extremely bland, we've heard them voice-actors a thousand times before in a hundred other games and the whole thing just left me completely and utterly underwhelmed.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

109. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 09:48 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 22:54:
StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 20:02:
Different strokes and all that, I guess.

You weren't saying that when insisting it was the same game strangely enough, it took most of the thread coming out against that opinion first. I don't have a problem with you enjoying Dragon Age II or even agreeing with what everyone says about it. Most of us just feel it's a rather drastic departure from the first game in many aspects and only tangentially connected in name and lore. In fact without the branding I don't think it would fare very well in the market.

When I wrote yesterday that "it's the same damn game" of course that was my opinion. What the fuck else would it be?

108. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 07:19 Dades

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 03:54:
There won't be any mod tools included with the game. Bioware said they might eventually release them but no guarantees.

Unlikely, it would threaten their DLC revenue stream. EA has dialed up DLC to ridiculous levels for this game.

107. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 03:54 Jerykk

There won't be any mod tools included with the game. Bioware said they might eventually release them but no guarantees.  

106. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 24, 2011, 01:47 Prez

Will this game be moddable? Modders could really turn this into a winner I think.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

105. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 23:44 Jerykk

It's like the enemy AI prioritizes fighters and melee rogues above mages and archers, which is a retarded tactic. Maybe this was a design choice for the Normal and Easy difficulties and will be reversed for Hard and Nightmare? I certainly hope so because if the AI constantly ignores my mages and archers on Nightmare, the game will be just as easy as it is on Normal.  

104. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 23:30 Wowbagger_TIP

I just finished the demo. Had pretty much the same experience as Jerykk. Nobody died. Most of the enemies would ignore my mage. I used whatever the default tactics setting was. I used a few health potions during the 2nd ogre fight. It was ridiculously easy since positioning and spell targeting doesn't matter anymore. I could toss fireballs right into the middle of my party without harming them a bit. Very lame. Maybe if they fix some of the problems in patches, and add the tactical view back, I might consider getting it. Right now I'm not really interested.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

103. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 22:54 Dades

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 20:02:

You weren't saying that when insisting it was the same game strangely enough, it took most of the thread coming out against that opinion first. I don't have a problem with you enjoying Dragon Age II or even agreeing with what everyone says about it. Most of us just feel it's a rather drastic departure from the first game in many aspects and only tangentially connected in name and lore. In fact without the branding I don't think it would fare very well in the market.

102. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 22:54 Jerykk

My experience was completely different. As a mage or ranged rogue, I never had to run away once. Hell, enemies would run right past me and completely ignore me until I hit them a few times. This occurred on every playthrough too, so it wasn't some isolated incident.

As for NPCs, I think I had one NPC die in a couple of playthroughs but it didn't really matter because there was only one enemy left at that point and he was about to die anyway. I didn't micromanage my party at all either, though I did have tactics enabled, I think? I had whatever the default setting was. All I know is that in unpatched DAO PC on Normal difficulty, this scenario never happened. If I didn't carefully manage my party, we would get slaughtered and every fight was a close one.

101. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 22:39 Sepharo

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 22:27:
And running away should not be a viable option against melee characters?

100. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 22:27 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 21:09:
I could not beat the second ogre battle without tactics, I actually died the first time I fought him and that was on normal mode. To beat him I had to pause, plan, manage my powers effectively and position my people correctly (ran away with mage, ran in with warrior, etc.).

Really? Was I the only one who realized how absolutely horrible the battle AI is? The first (and only) time I fought the Ogre, my NPCs went down like a sack of wet potatoes too. I went down to a sliver of health (as a mage). So I ran away. At that point, I quickly realized that a) I ran faster than them, and b) they would futilely chase me in circles. So with the Ogre alive, and 3 Darkspawn alive, I ran in circles. Stopped every now and then to cast a fireball. And then ran in more circles. Repeated that until everyone was dead.

Yay for a "tactical RPG". The only way they could have made combat easier is with an "I win" button.

And running away should not be a viable option against melee characters? Or more accurately, do you think that will work against mages, archers and faster enemies?

99. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 21:42 Overon

It keeps crashing for me during the same cutscene where your mother speaks after fighting the first battle with your brother and sister. 3 times in a row.  

98. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 21:09 Bhruic

I could not beat the second ogre battle without tactics, I actually died the first time I fought him and that was on normal mode. To beat him I had to pause, plan, manage my powers effectively and position my people correctly (ran away with mage, ran in with warrior, etc.).

Really? Was I the only one who realized how absolutely horrible the battle AI is? The first (and only) time I fought the Ogre, my NPCs went down like a sack of wet potatoes too. I went down to a sliver of health (as a mage). So I ran away. At that point, I quickly realized that a) I ran faster than them, and b) they would futilely chase me in circles. So with the Ogre alive, and 3 Darkspawn alive, I ran in circles. Stopped every now and then to cast a fireball. And then ran in more circles. Repeated that until everyone was dead.

Yay for a "tactical RPG". The only way they could have made combat easier is with an "I win" button.

97. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 20:02 StingingVelvet

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 16:35:
So because you played the first game like an action game it means none of the changes are impactful for anyone else. Gotcha

You guys should really stop making me out to be an idiot who wants an action game to try and suit your arguments. I could not beat the second ogre battle without tactics, I actually died the first time I fought him and that was on normal mode. To beat him I had to pause, plan, manage my powers effectively and position my people correctly (ran away with mage, ran in with warrior, etc.).

Granted I had tactics all turned off, maybe it was easier with them on, but that's sort of my point: the game plays how you want it to. Turn tactics off and manage your entire party with skill and pausing, or leave tactics on and button mash, or turn the difficulty up and be forced to really plan either way. Whatever, it's your decision.

I wanted a tactical RPG like Dragon Age Origins only with faster combat and better graphics. I got exactly that. The camera changes are annoying and someone mentioned the tactics menu is very consolized, and they are right, but the rest of the menus I thought were fine, as is the main HUD. In the end the game satisfied me and I don't "get" those saying the game is so much different. After all the lists and all the complaints it still just doesn't make sense to me.

96. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 19:22 nin

Tried the demo: Holy cow this is crap. I can see why the folks over at Teh Shack were comparing it to Dynasty Warriors.

This is not "Dragon Age 2" by any stretch of the imagination.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

95. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 16:35 RollinThundr

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 12:38:
Verno wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 10:01:
That's really unfair. Just because you like the specific changes doesn't mean it's good to everyone else. People have been patient and outlined changes for you and you just dismiss them all out of hand as minor.

Because they are minor to me... I can't lie. Injury kits? Backstabbing? It's minor stuff. The only thing seriously different is the camera, which honestly I don't care much about because I rarely used the far-back camera in DA:O, and the ME-style dialogue, which I think suits a Bioware game better.

At the end of the day it is 95% the same game. I am actually stunned at how exactly the same it is considering how much they talked about changing it. I am sure some people have priorities hidden in that 5% difference, but I think not being able to get over that is a resistance to change.

So because you played the first game like an action game it means none of the changes are impactful for anyone else. Gotcha

154 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo