Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Smell-O-Vision

Scent Sciences Corporation announces a device called ScentScape, which will bring the sense of smell into PC gaming (besides the already not-uncommon smells of B.O. and Cheetos) when it is released in the fourth quarter of this year, according to MCV. They say the USB device contains 20 scent wells, which games will trigger to let off a required scent such as pine forest, ocean, and smoke. Word is PC development kits are shipping this month and future support for consoles is planned.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 22, 2011, 15:54 Kxmode

Icewind wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 17:36:
No, this is stupid. Maybe for dirty ass nerds who don't know how to clean but for me it's a no-no. I'm OCD, I keep my place clean and I don't need "poor people" smells sullying it.

Same reason I won't let animals in my house is the same reason this device won't be on my PC.

I can smell your fear. It smells like Clorox.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 22, 2011, 04:38 mag

Icewind wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 17:36:
No, this is stupid. Maybe for dirty ass nerds who don't know how to clean but for me it's a no-no. I'm OCD, I keep my place clean and I don't need "poor people" smells sullying it.

Same reason I won't let animals in my house is the same reason this device won't be on my PC.

You sound like a blast to hang out with.

30. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 22, 2011, 02:00 Kxmode

Willy Wonka called. He said he wants his technology back!  

29. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 22:47 Killswitch

Yeah, Smell-O-Vision is exactly what it is. Repackaged 1960's "technology". We need a true scent simulator, not some Glade plug-in. Maybe some people would buy this for their kids, but I can't see a lot of gamers going for it.  

28. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 22:15 Sepharo

Smell-O-Vision has a long history anyway.

AromaRama was an another product apparently.

27. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 21:23  Blue 

bigspender wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 20:28:
the fact that its called Smell O Vision means these people are morons.
Wouldn't it be called TeleSmell? vision and smell are different scences duuuuuuuurr
even still the idea is stupid, and if it even takes off i'll eat my hat.

if it was direct neural smell simulation that would work - like virtual reality.. but hey thats like 100 years away.

As the article notes, the device is called the "ScentScape." Smell-O-Vision was my joke. Though I was tempted to go with Professor Farnsworth's Smelloscope.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

26. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 20:28 bigspender

the fact that its called Smell O Vision means these people are morons.
Wouldn't it be called TeleSmell? vision and smell are different scences duuuuuuuurr
even still the idea is stupid, and if it even takes off i'll eat my hat.

if it was direct neural smell simulation that would work - like virtual reality.. but hey thats like 100 years away.

25. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 19:02 Kosumo

Mum - "Johnny, are you smoking marijuana in there!?!"

Johnny - "No Mum, we are playing Bad Company Vietnam as the G.I's"

Smoking

24. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 18:48 Suddenly_Dead

The smell mustn't linger long in a normally-ventilated room, or it will be totally ineffective. I wonder how well that'll actually work.

Edit:

20 scents is also pretty limiting. Sure, you can combine them to get different specific smells, but we've probably got somewhere around 400 different odor receptors. Scent isn't like light.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2011, 18:58.

23. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 18:37 Kosumo

But it would bring more life to your Derek Smart Game collection!  

22. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 17:36 Icewind

21. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 16:38 Baudkarma

If it really does smell like pine needles, or gunpowder, or the ocean, then I'm in. If it smells like some bad mix of chemicals that's faintly reminiscent of pine needles, then I'll pass

And of course, I'll want to wait and see if any games actually support this thing.

I am not a man! I am a free number!

20. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 15:24 Scud

New viruses will be made to take advantage of this tech, suddenly no matter what you do you can smell nothing but shit.  

19. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 15:16 Cutter

venomhed wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 12:14:
I'm in if they perfect the smell of Lanny Barbie's asshole.

I'd hit that shit like Ike hit Tina!

I can see this working with DNF, bad farts, stale beer and smelly pussy. Yummy! Just what I want when I'm gaming. Seriously though, this has been tried several times since the 50s and always fails miserably. Why on earth would they expect this to succeed? These things never work because A) they're just not necessary at all, even remotely B) No one wants to screw around ordering and replacing "scent" cartridges all the time C) most people don't like inhaling those sorts of chemicals.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 14:52 Wazoo

What makes them think when this concept COMPLETELY failed in 2001 (iSmell from Digiscents for those who might not remember), that it suddenly has appeal?
[url=]http://www.pcworld.com/article/125772-6/the_25_worst_tech_products_of_all_time.html[/url]

17. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 14:23 mag

If done well, I think it could be pretty cool. Yes, yes, no one wants to smell the sewers or the inside of a volcano or anything. But what if you could smell the tropics, the trees, the ocean in Far Cry?  

16. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 13:23 Hyatus

I think temperature adjustment would be much cooler(no pun intended). Being able to feel fireballs coming at you or trying to speed through an ice level when you have to be so careful.

I remember seeing the preview for Pirates 4 during Tron Legacy and seeing this giant burst of fire coming at me and how unrealistic it was that my face didn't get hot.

With smell-o-vision, I could see myself NOT buying certain games(TMNT is right out).

15. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 13:10 Ratty

Esoteric wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 12:36:
Even though this sounds really hokey and gimmicky, I wonder how much it would actually have an effect on gameplay experience. Smell is a very powerful sense. Just think of experiencing certain smells and how it can vividly remind you of a past time or event.
I know, right? As stupid as it sounds I'm intrigued.

14. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 12:42 J

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 12:40:
Oh please, they can't even get gamers to buy into physics. Sure, we're all gonna go drop money to smell sewage when we game.

I think of it as an extra reason not to buy Ubisoft games!

13. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 12:40 Agent.X7

Oh please, they can't even get gamers to buy into physics. Sure, we're all gonna go drop money to smell sewage when we game.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo