Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned

Mark Rein tweets: "Bulletstorm PC demo is in the works! Won't make it in time for ship date but should be available shortly after." Thanks BeyondUnreal.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 17:31 StingingVelvet

Paketep wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 12:08:
StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 04:58:
People keep bringing this up but never pay attention to the reason: the 360 version will still sell well. The PC version's sales will still pale in comparison. It's not about piracy it's about sales. When PC versions sell poorly AND have tons of piracy then it's a deal. It's a story. When Xbox versions have tons of piracy but still sell amazingly well it's a footnote, the game is a success.

Define "sell poorly". The PC is not a 360, in which you can box a piece of Kotick's shit, put Call of Duty in the front, and sell 10 million units in a couple of weeks.

PC gamers watch more what they buy and for how much. PC gamers have Steam (for example) and know that the price will drop in 1-2 years tops. You can't expect PC gamers to buy your game in droves when 1) You're giving them a poor port, 2) They already have lots of great games to buy for $10 and 3) You are calling them thieves.

Whenever I hear a developer cry about piracy, I cringe. Great games sell splendidly. Developers that don't mistreat their customers are more supported. If you game has 90% piracy in countries where they can't (and that's CAN NOT, not WILL NOT) buy your game, or your game isn't simply for sale, and you make the remaining 10% pay for it, be it DRM, removing features (true dedis, LAN, etc) or not releasing DLC that the consoles get, then it's your fucking fault that you will sell less of your next game AND (and I don't condone this) cause more piracy.

I have zero respect for developers like Crytek that release a boring tech demo, sell A LOT for a game that didn't work on 70-80% of machines at the time, and then cry that they would have sold 20 million games if not for PC piracy. Yeah, right.

So xbox is not as pirated, percent wise, as PC. So what?. In the end, if you look at price and numbers, and if you apply the distributor's reasoning saying that a pirated sale is a lost sale, they lose A LOT more to console piracy than they do to PC piracy.

Where's the outcry?. Why are they not calling console gamers thieves?. Why not more DRM, less features and more shitting on console gamers?. They should start putting a lot of those in the PS3 now, should they?.

As for preparation, xbox piracy requires less preparation than PC: go to a store, ask them to put a modchip (legal, BTW, in several countries), download ISOs, burn ISOs, play. I think you can even play from USB disks, so you don't even need the DVDs.

So, again, console piracy is as easy as PC piracy, and the "calculated" losses are WAY bigger. Where's the fucking outcry?. Where are the insults to the console gamers?.

I don't know what you said all this for, no one was talking about the reasons PC games sell much, much less. It's just a fact that they do, and therefore piracy is a much bigger issue because people want to blame low sales on something. With high sales you don't need to worry about where all your sales went because hey, they're right there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 16:27 Draugr

spindoctor wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 06:50:
You'd be surprised at how many pirated games have thriving multiplayer communities because of the existence of software like Hamachi and Garena

However, losing access to Xbox live doesn't only restrict you from playing multiplayer games. It affects your entire online experience. You can't stream videos, you can't chat with friends, you can't download game updates/patches/DLC/demos and you basically cannot do anything online with the 360.

On PC, the only thing you (might) lose is multiplayer functionality. Your computer can still go online and do everything else.

The equivalent risk on the PC would be that your internet completely stopped working and you would have to buy a new PC just to go back online. That's not quite the same as just losing out on multiplayer functionality is it?

your point regarding other live functionality is a moot, as i pointed out that they can't detect if you have a cracked Xbox unless you're dumb enough to access live with a poorly cracked game in your drive, so just like PC, it's mostly an issue of MP. Even operating under this assumption though, almost everything you dicussed beyond Demos would be a matter of convenience, as most people have a computer as well, so they don't need to have access to live to access videos, chat with friends, etc. Also their pirates, so their Demos are full titles.

I'm not saying MP can't be overloooked in regards to DRM measures, but it really isn't nowadays. what Im saying is more and more people use authentication services to make sure people aren't playing MP with a cracked version. Steam, etc all excel in this,with much success. This, combined with most gamers having access to broadband is part of the reason you see LAN play less and less these days.

39. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 12:27 LN0

It's also great that Amazon can offer up a $20 promotional credit towards a future purchase to console gamers...but nothing for PC games. Oh well, pre-order cancelled. Will probably pick it up in a month for $30 anyway.  

38. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 12:23 Mordecai Walfish

I think you forget to take into account the technical level involved in running a console game efficiently vs a pc game to its potential. Consoles are the easy bake ovens for the masses of ignorant gamers nowadays and they're not going anywhere because of that. A seasoned pc gamer not only knows how to run the game efficiently on his platform of choice, but how to play it for free as well. A majority of console gamers who just want the product in cookie cutter form will not give two $h!ts about optimization, they will just know they can run it like any other. This is the difference.  

37. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 12:08 Paketep

People keep bringing this up but never pay attention to the reason: the 360 version will still sell well. The PC version's sales will still pale in comparison. It's not about piracy it's about sales. When PC versions sell poorly AND have tons of piracy then it's a deal. It's a story. When Xbox versions have tons of piracy but still sell amazingly well it's a footnote, the game is a success.

Define "sell poorly". The PC is not a 360, in which you can box a piece of Kotick's shit, put Call of Duty in the front, and sell 10 million units in a couple of weeks.

PC gamers watch more what they buy and for how much. PC gamers have Steam (for example) and know that the price will drop in 1-2 years tops. You can't expect PC gamers to buy your game in droves when 1) You're giving them a poor port, 2) They already have lots of great games to buy for $10 and 3) You are calling them thieves.

Whenever I hear a developer cry about piracy, I cringe. Great games sell splendidly. Developers that don't mistreat their customers are more supported. If you game has 90% piracy in countries where they can't (and that's CAN NOT, not WILL NOT) buy your game, or your game isn't simply for sale, and you make the remaining 10% pay for it, be it DRM, removing features (true dedis, LAN, etc) or not releasing DLC that the consoles get, then it's your fucking fault that you will sell less of your next game AND (and I don't condone this) cause more piracy.

I have zero respect for developers like Crytek that release a boring tech demo, sell A LOT for a game that didn't work on 70-80% of machines at the time, and then cry that they would have sold 20 million games if not for PC piracy. Yeah, right.

So xbox is not as pirated, percent wise, as PC. So what?. In the end, if you look at price and numbers, and if you apply the distributor's reasoning saying that a pirated sale is a lost sale, they lose A LOT more to console piracy than they do to PC piracy.

Where's the outcry?. Why are they not calling console gamers thieves?. Why not more DRM, less features and more shitting on console gamers?. They should start putting a lot of those in the PS3 now, should they?.

As for preparation, xbox piracy requires less preparation than PC: go to a store, ask them to put a modchip (legal, BTW, in several countries), download ISOs, burn ISOs, play. I think you can even play from USB disks, so you don't even need the DVDs.

So, again, console piracy is as easy as PC piracy, and the "calculated" losses are WAY bigger. Where's the fucking outcry?. Where are the insults to the console gamers?.

36. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 11:54 Mordecai Walfish

After having the misfortune of playing the console demo I can safely say I'd be glad if they never made a PC version. This game does for gaming overall what "bumfights" does for major motion pictures. Nothing groundbreaking or interesting, just cool ways to kill people with retarded weapons that take no skill to use.

Achievement! :: 10 pts towards dumbing down the videogame playing youth.

35. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 11:42 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 11:03:
'Download and run' doesn't apply to every single PC crack either.

I know, and those games that take more effort are probably pirated less. Steam has been succeeding largely by making purchasing and playing PC games easier to do legitimately than through a torrent, for instance.

Rule number one of consumerism is that people want easy and convenient options. That is the number one thing, not quality and not even a low price. This is why consoles are more successful in the mainstream, because they are plug and play, put the disc in a go. This is why Steam is so successful on the PC space and why its DRM is ignored. That's why games with issues that are easily fixed with an ini solution or other tweak are still widely known as broken, because people don't bother looking for tweaks or fixing issues.

People like ease of use and convenience above everything else. The consoles, in general, are less convenient to run pirated software on. On the PC you can just download and go.

Anyway, I am focusing too much on this. The main reason Xbox piracy is briefly mentioned but never focused on is because Xbox games sell out the ass. The reason PC piracy is focused on and scrutinized constantly is because PC games sell poorly compared to console games. That's the 99% reason that the two matters are covered differently in the press.

Same thing with PC exclusives and better PC ports... piracy isn't stopping that, low sales are. Piracy rates could double what they are today but if sales went up the same amount no one would care anymore.

34. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 11:03 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 08:13:
Draugr wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 05:31:
I have to disagree with you in regards to console piracy... in terms of difficulty the mileage varies, it can be as easy as hooking your 360 DVD drive from your xbox to your PC and installing the appropriate firmware, from there it's just burning the disc and popping it in. Only the latest 360 models are a 'hassle'. PS3 is even easier, and involves a USB stick and that's it. You can just load those right from the HDD, so in that regard it'd be just as easy as PC.

Any step past "download and run" cuts a massive percentage out of piracy concerns. That's why companies think DRM works. People are stupid and lazy, basically.

'Download and run' doesn't apply to every single PC crack either.

There are several games that I know of where manually moving and replacing several files as well as patching are a requirement to get the game running. I know of several people that have issues getting even PC cracked games to run.

I also know of several people where I live that make a living from modding and selling cracked console games. And the number of banned consoles that I've come across have been laughably small(like practically none).

I'm not saying consoles are just as easy, but there isn't as much risk as you'd think. Most bans occur when people run copies of the game that hasn't been released yet on Xbox Live.

Again, I'm not saying fear of bans isn't a factor, but it might not be as terrifying as people think. There are also people with two consoles...one for cracks and one for 'legit' uses.

Perception of the publishers and developers is the problem. No matter how you spin it...it's a dishonest double standard.

33. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 10:18 scorpius

bigspender wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 17:49:
what is this crap! proper unreal 1 sequel plz
Seconded. Although actually, if it ever would be done, I wouldn't want it to get made by Epic.

32. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 08:13 StingingVelvet

I have to disagree with you in regards to console piracy... in terms of difficulty the mileage varies, it can be as easy as hooking your 360 DVD drive from your xbox to your PC and installing the appropriate firmware, from there it's just burning the disc and popping it in. Only the latest 360 models are a 'hassle'. PS3 is even easier, and involves a USB stick and that's it. You can just load those right from the HDD, so in that regard it'd be just as easy as PC.

Any step past "download and run" cuts a massive percentage out of piracy concerns. That's why companies think DRM works. People are stupid and lazy, basically.

31. Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 08:01 Xoxotl

I liked Bulletstorm better back when it was called Serious Sam.  

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

30. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 06:50 spindoctor

You'd be surprised at how many pirated games have thriving multiplayer communities because of the existence of software like Hamachi and Garena

However, losing access to Xbox live doesn't only restrict you from playing multiplayer games. It affects your entire online experience. You can't stream videos, you can't chat with friends, you can't download game updates/patches/DLC/demos and you basically cannot do anything online with the 360.

On PC, the only thing you (might) lose is multiplayer functionality. Your computer can still go online and do everything else.

The equivalent risk on the PC would be that your internet completely stopped working and you would have to buy a new PC just to go back online. That's not quite the same as just losing out on multiplayer functionality is it?

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

29. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 06:12 Draugr

spindoctor wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 05:57:

There's another aspect to it too. Modding your console can risk it getting banned from Xbox Live if it gets detected. I think that most 360 users would agree that online connectivity is an important part of the experience which would be significantly hampered by it's absence.

No such risk exists on the PC platform.

Both Good points, but I think I should point out that just because you pirate a game on PC doesn't mean you will have access to online multiplayer, or even lan. In most cases games use a service to connect during MP such as game for windows, steam, etc. a crack won't necessarily grant you access to these, and I can't really think of a case where it has. The only exception in recent memory is the Crysis 2 leak.
I haven't checked it out but as I understand it it had the ability to access multiplayer without issue. This is part of the reason things like game for windows Live, Battle.net and Steam all exist. with services like this in place, even if it is cracked, you won't be able to access it's online functions, so in this regard the Xbox and PC share the same 'problems' with online functionality. In some cases with games for windows live it doesn't even need to be an illegitimate game to have online/connectivity issues.

Id say there are plenty of people who aren't really interested in Multiplayer. There are plenty of games with little to no MP. let's move on though.
As I understand it, the ban concerns are mainly due to games that aren't cracked correctly. This doesn't prevent them from releasing updates to combat that, though. You'd also be able to connect unnoticed provided you don't have a pirated game in your drive. This is as I understand it, as this is how it's been explained to me, and I don't have a cracked 360 of my own to attest to.
So with Xbox it won't let you play online lest you risk banning, with PC games you can't play online because you literally cannot connect to the authentication servers involved for gameplay. (for example)

28. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 05:57 spindoctor

There's another aspect to it too. Modding your console can risk it getting banned from Xbox Live if it gets detected. I think that most 360 users would agree that online connectivity is an important part of the experience and it would be significantly hampered by it's absence.

No such risk exists on the PC platform.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2011, 06:06.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

27. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 05:31 Draugr

Xbox piracy requires much more know-how and preparation. PC piracy requires you to download a file and run the exe. Massive difference.

You're first assertion though, I definitely agree with, the difference lies in the overall units sold, though sometimes Dev's DO cry wolf about piracy when sales aren't meeting expectations, even though it just might not be as well received as they hoped.

Crysis I think is a good example, it did well, but not as well as they liked, so they blamed piracy. While piracy certainly played a part to one degree or another, time passed and it went on to selling several million units and being one of best-selling PC games. While this is supposition, I think this is in large part due to people being scared off due to system requirements, (even though they may or may not have been justified in doing so.)

edit - I'm kinda drunk, and while I previewed my post, I might have missed something or said something retarded,(moreso than normal, of course ;)) so I apologize in advance

26. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 04:58 StingingVelvet

Tanto Edge wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 03:24:
The 360 version is available on torrent sites.
The PC version is not (or is it?).
Why are there no articles being published about the millions of lost sales, the billions of dollars this is costing the industry, how upset and disappointed Microshaft is, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, fuckity blah?
Where's all the noise?

Also, and again this is like the billionth time someone has explained this on the internet, Xbox piracy requires much more know-how and preparation. PC piracy requires you to download a file and run the exe. Massive difference.

25. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 03:52 AnointedSword

There is a ton of noise about it, you just don't see it because you are on the other side of things. Last time I checked, multiple developers, corporations, and others have talked about it. The hard working people talk about it. You know, the people you guys mock? Remember them?

BTW, I do not like Epic, stopped playing their games after Unreal Tournament.

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

24. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 03:24 Tanto Edge

The 360 version is available on torrent sites.
The PC version is not (or is it?).
Why are there no articles being published about the millions of lost sales, the billions of dollars this is costing the industry, how upset and disappointed Microshaft is, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, fuckity blah?
Where's all the noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

23. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 19, 2011, 22:43 Bumpy

Nameless Again wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 20:30:
I'm totally going to buy this game. Count my $60 in!

On second thought, cancel that.

See Epic? I can fuck with you too! Scumbags.

Nice one, cheers.

22. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 19, 2011, 20:30 Nameless Again

I'm totally going to buy this game. Count my $60 in!

On second thought, cancel that.

See Epic? I can fuck with you too! Scumbags.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo