Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"Games are not the right medium to tell stories. Video games are more about story possibilities" -- Sims creator Will Wright.

View
21. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 19, 2011, 19:53 Jerykk

If it's easier to list games that have good stories than stories that stemmed from gameplay, then I don't know how you could argue that games are better suited for the latter when the former has created a more lasting and memorable experience for more people.

If the story is told through a linear, non-interactive manner, then it has nothing to do with gameplay, the defining element of games. Such stories are better told in linear, non-interactive mediums where the author doesn't have to worry about providing the player with engaging activities or preventing the player from deviating from the intended experience.

KOTOR had a great story, for example. The primary details of the story are fixed, and aren't changeable. The gameplay serves to bring you into that story, make you a part of it, and when it's revealed that you were Darth Revan all along it has impact because your actions throughout the game gave you a personal stake in the story; it's not that the main character was Darth Revan, it's that YOU were. It's a strong story with effective story mechanics and it wouldn't have been possible to get the same effect if it were an open ended experience. I don't remember a damn thing about the gameplay, or what lightsabers did or how I barely won a fight... but I remember when I found out who I was, and I remember my relationship with the other characters long after playing through that game. That's storytelling.

I think you just mistakenly agreed with me. The parts you remember the most are the parts that are borrowed from other mediums. Gameplay is the only thing unique to games and the gameplay in KOTOR wasn't that memorable. It definitely wasn't enough to tell an interesting story, so Bioware relied on more traditional forms of linear storytelling instead. You could have taken the story in KOTOR and put it in a book or made a movie and it probably would have been better for it.

I have to disagree with you on the Revan twist somehow being meaningful. As a player, I had no memories of being Revan and I had no choice in the matter. Revan, as a character, didn't really mean anything to me as a result. The fact that I controlled the protagonist didn't change this. The twist would have been just as effective in a linear, non-interactive medium, perhaps even more so.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 18, 22:13 Re: Quote of the Day PHJF
  2. Feb 18, 23:02  Re: Quote of the Day saluk
  3. Feb 18, 23:25   Re: Quote of the Day Prez
  4. Feb 18, 23:41  Re: Quote of the Day Dev
  5. Feb 18, 23:48 Re: Quote of the Day space captain
  6. Feb 19, 01:13 Re: Quote of the Day Bhruic
  7. Feb 19, 01:24  Re: Quote of the Day Prez
  8. Feb 19, 01:42  Re: Quote of the Day Yifes
  9. Feb 19, 01:47 Re: Quote of the Day PropheT
  10. Feb 19, 01:54 Re: Quote of the Day JohnBirshire