Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Trailer

The official RAGE Website offers a new trailer from id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. The clip shows off the game's environments using gameplay and cinematics, and the website offers the following explanation: "We've released a new trailer for RAGE featuring an original track, Burning Jacob's Ladder, by singer Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age, Gutter Twins)."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 20, 2011, 08:41 Kajetan

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 12:01:
Actually in Doom 3 they always spawned in closets and shit. Ones that were invisible moments before, sure, but walls opened or doors opened and the enemies popped out from behind them. It was actually exactly like Doom 1 and 2, though people pretend the games were very different.
Have you ever played any Doom game or have you a very weak memory? There was NO spawning or "monster popping" in Doom 1 and 2. And in Doom 3, some monsters were behind walls, some were just standing around, while other teleported in the moment you triggered a script. I really dont know to what Doom games you refer

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 19, 2011, 02:25 Jerykk

In Dead Space they clamber through holes in walls or smash through things to get to you. Effort was put into where the enemies would\might merge from.

That was the key appeal to me. Whenever I entered an area, I immediately looked for vents, grates or other areas where enemies might pop out of. The designers knew that players would do this, so they put vents and grates all over the place to keep you on your toes. Conversely, in Doom 3, enemies just teleported in behind you whenever you entered a room. It was really formulaic and predictable so tension was lost. The only memorable part of D3 was Hell. The first time I saw Hell, I was pretty impressed. It looked so much better than the rest of the game.

23. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 14:47 Carcifier

id is not a tech company anymore. They got acquired. No one is going to use "id Tech 5" except for internally. This is very old news.

I'd be looking forward to Rage if there was a Linux client in it's future.

I liked DOOM 3. It's part of the evolution of the FPS and last time I checked, no company has done more in that area than id.

Let's not forget that Unreal Tournament 3 was a tech demo.

You can start calling me a id fanboy now...

22. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 12:01 StingingVelvet

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 10:28:
Doom 3's enemies randomly spawned out of thin air in front of and behind the player at predictable intervals. Very rarely did they actually emerge\break through\creep out of a space etc. Lazy. No build up or tension, they just magically appeared out of nowhere. None of the monsters were all that memorable either.

In Dead Space they clamber through holes in walls or smash through things to get to you. Effort was put into where the enemies would\might merge from. The game's pacing and setting is far better. You're in a space ship floating through space mostly alone, and you know it since they smartly make you aware of that during play by letting you space walk. Unlike Doom 3 which was truly just one corridor after another with no memorable moments between.

Actually in Doom 3 they always spawned in closets and shit. Ones that were invisible moments before, sure, but walls opened or doors opened and the enemies popped out from behind them. It was actually exactly like Doom 1 and 2, though people pretend the games were very different.

In any event I agree Dead Space 2 (and 1 for that matter) did it better.

21. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 10:40 Kajetan

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 10:28:
Unlike Doom 3 which was truly just one corridor after another with no memorable moments between.
One. The one memorable moment, when the imp was introduced. That was creepy and satisfying and atmospheric. The rest of the game was one boring monster spawn after another. At some point (i think Hell), i simply god-moded and finished the game in one take just to get it finally done. The addon however was a much, much better game in terms of more interesting combat situations, it had actually a "flow". Not quite easy, but not unfair like the main game.

20. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 10:28 Dmitri_M

Fion wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 09:35:
Interestingly right now I'm playing Dead Space 2 (the PC version is 'far' better than the original) and it is very similar to Doom 3. It's a corridor shooter that is very linear, monsters popping out of closets all over the game, various game logs you can read or listen too. Hell the graphics even remind me of Doom 3. Yet that game got fabulous reviews and nobody here ever lambastes the game.

Doom 3's enemies randomly spawned out of thin air in front of and behind the player at predictable intervals. Very rarely did they actually emerge\break through\creep out of a space etc. Lazy. No build up or tension, they just magically appeared out of nowhere. None of the monsters were all that memorable either.

In Dead Space they clamber through holes in walls or smash through things to get to you. Effort was put into where the enemies would\might merge from. The game's pacing and setting is far better. You're in a space ship floating through space mostly alone, and you know it since they smartly make you aware of that during play by letting you space walk. Unlike Doom 3 which was truly just one corridor after another with no memorable moments between.

19. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 10:10 eRe4s3r

Well unlike Doom 3 Dead-Space 2 had some very memorable moments. Off hand the only thing i can remember about Doom 3 is that i played it.

After all, games are not about monster spawns, they are about how fun combat and engagements are. Dead Space 2 while definitely no horror, at least has satisfying combat.

18. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 09:35 Fion

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 09:16:
Man, the Doom 3 whining never ends.

That it doesn't. No matter how good Rage might be, the Rage hate will replace it most likely lol.

I personally very much enjoyed Doom 3 and a friend of mine couldn't play it for more than an hour at a time because it freaked him out so much.

Interestingly right now I'm playing Dead Space 2 (the PC version is 'far' better than the original) and it is very similar to Doom 3. It's a corridor shooter that is very linear, monsters popping out of closets all over the game, various game logs you can read or listen too. Hell the graphics even remind me of Doom 3. Yet that game got fabulous reviews and nobody here ever lambastes the game.

17. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 09:32 Fion

Well they dropped the ball on selling the engine that is for sure but a great deal of that engines tech has gone on to become central pieces in games today. Normal Mapping, real-time unified lighting system, specular highlighting.

Sure the engine didn't do well but everything that made the UEd engine as successful as it was, was developed by id software and taken on by the industry in the years that followed.

Not saying Id Tech 4 didn't have it's issues, or that Doom 3 didn't. But the engine introduced things to gaming that advanced graphics by a great deal that we might not have today if it weren't for Tech 4.

What I am most eager to see with Id Tech 5 is the new dynamic animation system. The demonstration at E3 showed that it to be quite amazing and well beyond the animations we have in most games today. As well I am interested in seeing how far virtual texturing has come since Enemy Territory amongst other things.

So yea today Id isn't known for great games as much as engines that advance the genre and are always adapted by others in future years. Today the number of top end game engines is far more crowded than it used to be, but I think Id is still the best.

16. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 09:16 StingingVelvet

Man, the Doom 3 whining never ends.  

15. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 08:50 InBlack

DangerDog wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 02:39:
I'd like to see what's cooking on the DOOM IV front.

Same here, although I dont really expect anything that great. Doom 3 was a huuuuuge dissapointment for me. The graphics were kind of nice but the shock/horror gameplay got old really quick.

Instead of the game opening up at a certain point into a gore/horror fest (like the first two) it eventually became an exercise in frustration.

I guess the engine is to blame. It couldnt draw more than 5 enemies at a time without a huge slowdown on all but the best riggs. With those kind of limitations how can one even attempt to design an epic Doom game?

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 08:50 The Pyro

Did anyone else notice that the character animations seemed rather choppy? It stuck out in my mind partly because the camera movement was so fluid in comparison. Also, the dust clouds kicked up by the tires of the buggy looked... bleh. And here I thought dust clouds were pretty much a solved problem as far as gaming was concerned.

Oh, but the texture detail is phenomenal. Probably a good thing since id is trying to demo its new megatexture stuff

13. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 06:53 Ledge

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 03:54:
I fully expect this to be a fun shooter with great combat that will not really innovate or blow anyone away but be quite solid.

Those expecting it to be the second-coming, if anyone still is, will likely be disappointed.

+1

12. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 06:05 StingingVelvet

I'm also pretty sure that they have said this engine was not focused on marketing to third-parties, that they were concentrating more on making games this time, not tech.

Who knows though really... I think Tech 4's main issue was that it was poor at doing anything outside.

11. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 04:20 Lorcin

Zoom wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 04:14:
Those expecting it to be the second-coming, if anyone still is, will likely be disappointed.
Like most ID games it will be mostly a demonstrator for their ID tech engine which they will license out to quite a few companies. In this aspect a lot of people are expecting it not for the gameplay, but for the game engine itself..

Only trouble with that line of thinking iD tech 4 didn't exactly fair well against the Unreal Engine - 7 games listed using tech 4 (5 of them iD's IPs) and >100 for Unreal Engine 3. Even the Source engine has been more widely licensed than Tech 4 - hell even the god awful Gamebryo engine is wider licensed.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2011, 04:25.

10. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 04:14 Zoom

Like most ID games it will be mostly a demonstrator for their ID tech engine which they will license out to quite a few companies. In this aspect a lot of people are expecting it not for the gameplay, but for the game engine itself..

9. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 03:54 StingingVelvet

I fully expect this to be a fun shooter with great combat that will not really innovate or blow anyone away but be quite solid.

8. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 02:57 vacs

Joss wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 01:43:
I saw a Cave Troll at the end!

hehe, that's was my first thought too when I saw it

7. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 02:39 DangerDog

I'd like to see what's cooking on the DOOM IV front.  

6. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 01:43 Joss

I saw a Cave Troll at the end!  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo