Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor

Kotaku reports a rumor that Bungie's first project since their emancipation from Microsoft is Destiny, a massively multiplayer online first-person shooter with a science fiction theme. They attribute this to an anonymous source claiming to be a contract employee recently terminated as "part of a group of an estimated 30 non-salaried employees let go from Bungie" at the behest of publisher Activision Blizzard. Casting doubt on all this is an update on Bungie.net denying the publisher-ordered layoffs, saying: "Bungie has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason." They do not, however, address the game rumor.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 18, 2011, 09:57 Zardoz5

Draugr wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 16:11:
Couldn't agree with you more, after I heard they weren't chained to MS anymore I instantly thought of how awesome all their non halo games were, and I was really looking forward to that. Now it seems like they developed into a studio that wont take a 'chance' on something like that.
While they've had a few other non Halo games, Halo as by far been their biggest seller and most popular IP. If they want to gain immediate marketshare with their new game it would only make sense to go with something similar to what their biggest fanbase knows. Its also a genre in which they have a ton of experience, so why not utilize for your first, independent from Billy game. I'm sure publishers who are going to fork over a ton of money want some sort of certainty of your first independent product in a decade.

Many dev companies stick with what they know, for the first game or two at least. Like when the MoH guys left to form Infinity Ward, you can probably bet that Respawn isn't going to be making a platformer or sports game anytime soon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 18:11 Cutter

OMG! Maybe it's finally Pimps at Sea!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 17:59 space captain

will it be a return of Murder Death Kill?

nope, that was Shiny

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2011, 19:28.

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 17:35 bhcompy

So it will be a generic shooter with a washed out color palette?  

19. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 16:11 Draugr

Drezden wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 12:53:
I love Bungie, I love Myth, Oni, Marathon all their oldschool stuff was great.

I even love the universe they created for Halo despite being console only...

But I don't understand... after 10 years of making Halo games (A Sci Fi FPS) would you break away from Microsoft... have your first bit of freedom to make something else... and make a Sci Fi MMOFPS... If that is all you were going to do... Why didn't you just stay with Microsoft, and make a Halo MMO, which has been rumored for ages, and is already an established IP to back it for sales... Why would you leave and start from scratch working on the same thing you just stopped working on but on a larger scale.

I would have preferred to see something either Original from them, or from another of their IP's. Oni 2 would be great imo.

Just feels like they are wasting talent doing this.

Couldn't agree with you more, after I heard they weren't chained to MS anymore I instantly thought of how awesome all their non halo games were, and I was really looking forward to that. Now it seems like they developed into a studio that wont take a 'chance' on something like that.

18. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 16:08 Draugr

Flatline wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 15:26:
Anonymous wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 13:45:
Remember, Halo was originally supposed to be the next big thing for PC gaming. That was before they got bought up by Microsoft. And for the damnedest reason, Halo PC never ran as well as the Xbox.

You do mean it was the next big thing for MAC gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1p7D_Nnx0

PC and mac, then the MS aquisition, then just PC and Xbox, then just Xbox, with a terrible port for PC that came out down the road.

17. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 15:26 Flatline

Remember, Halo was originally supposed to be the next big thing for PC gaming. That was before they got bought up by Microsoft. And for the damnedest reason, Halo PC never ran as well as the Xbox.

You do mean it was the next big thing for MAC gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1p7D_Nnx0

16. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 14:58 Creston

Zoom wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 11:16:
Creston wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 10:53:
On sheer originality alone, this will sell millions...
Let's see what they plan to do before getting cynical

You must be new here. Hi, I'm Creston. Cynical's sorta my thing.

Creston

15. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 14:34 entr0py

My PC was, at the time, I think running a Geforce 3 (Xbox had a custom more powerful Geforce 3), and with a decent processor, but Halo ran like shit. Very strange.
"But I don't understand... after 10 years of making Halo games (A Sci Fi FPS) would you break away from Microsoft... have your first bit of freedom to make something else... and make a Sci Fi MMOFPS... If that is all you were going to do... Why didn't you just stay with Microsoft, and make a Halo MMO, which has been rumored for ages, and is already an established IP to back it for sales..."
They have no reason to allow Microsoft to siphon money off of them. And they don't have the rights to a Halo game, otherwise they may well have made a Halo MMO.

You have to keep in mind that the Halo games made what can only be described as a fuckton of money. I doubt Bungie left MS so they could go off and make less money by producing something other than Sci-fi FPS games; they just want to keep more of the fat loot for themselves. I think an MMOFPS is as radical a departure as we can expect them to make, and that it would likely be awesome.

As for the first Halo PC port, it truly was shit, but it was done by Gearbox Software.

14. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 13:45 Lit_Reflex001

My PC was, at the time, I think running a Geforce 3 (Xbox had a custom more powerful Geforce 3), and with a decent processor, but Halo ran like shit. Very strange.

"But I don't understand... after 10 years of making Halo games (A Sci Fi FPS) would you break away from Microsoft... have your first bit of freedom to make something else... and make a Sci Fi MMOFPS... If that is all you were going to do... Why didn't you just stay with Microsoft, and make a Halo MMO, which has been rumored for ages, and is already an established IP to back it for sales..."

They have no reason to allow Microsoft to siphon money off of them. And they don't have the rights to a Halo game, otherwise they may well have made a Halo MMO.

13. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 Trevellian

I love Bungie, I love Myth, Oni, Marathon all their oldschool stuff was great.

I even love the universe they created for Halo despite being console only...

But I don't understand... after 10 years of making Halo games (A Sci Fi FPS) would you break away from Microsoft... have your first bit of freedom to make something else... and make a Sci Fi MMOFPS... If that is all you were going to do... Why didn't you just stay with Microsoft, and make a Halo MMO, which has been rumored for ages, and is already an established IP to back it for sales... Why would you leave and start from scratch working on the same thing you just stopped working on but on a larger scale.

I would have preferred to see something either Original from them, or from another of their IP's. Oni 2 would be great imo.

Just feels like they are wasting talent doing this.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

12. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 11:55 StingingVelvet

I don't play much multiplayer but I would buy a massive sci-fi shooter MMO on day one, assuming it had some quality. I picture things like vastly different roles and persistent battle areas, but also cities to explore and missions to accomplish. Like you could be a pilot who flies people into battle or a support engineer or scout or whatever, all in massive battlefields much larger than anything in Battlefield 2.

That could be awesome. I would pay for that.

11. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 11:25 Verno

I'm definitely interested in seeing what they come up with, the MMO genre could use a shot of something new.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 11:16 Zoom

Creston wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 10:53:
Let's see what they plan to do before getting cynical
They could do a proper followup to the very good Face of Mankind that had a lot of good ideas. A kind of Shadowrun universe would be very very neat.
Of course they also could do something totally idiotic to appeal to the stupidity of masses. Cant say so far with just a project name.

9. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:58 InBlack

Really? Oh my bad. Kind of explains the name "Destiny" though...Duh...

Well "nothing but Halo" is arguably a pretty big thing, especially if you have a ton of great ideas and are barred from doing anything about it.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:55 reisub

I'm so pre-ordering this.  

7. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:53 Beamer

they managed to ditch Microsoft, retain their IP rights and sign a nice publishing deal with Activision. Very smooth if I do say so myself.

They didn't retain Halo (the only IP they created for Microsoft), Microsoft treated them very well except for the whole "nothing but Halo" thing, and it cost them an insane amount. I'm really not sure how much cash they had in the coffers after that.

But I'd imagine they'll be back to completely financially independent after one release. They really are a very, very smart company.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:53 Creston

a massively multiplayer online first-person shooter with a science fiction theme

Creston

5. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:45 InBlack

Truth. Activision doesnt own Bungie. As far as I know they have simply signed a publishing/distribution deal. Someone at Bungie really knows what they are doing (from a business perspective) they managed to ditch Microsoft, retain their IP rights and sign a nice publishing deal with Activision. Very smooth if I do say so myself.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 10:43 Torlock

This is pretty interesting. I do see a considerable oppurtunity for a gaming company to take over the MMO FPS market. Wasn't there are rumor that Blizzard was perhaps going to do the same?

I love Bungie. I grew up with MACs and played the Marathon Series, the Myth series, and Halo. Whatever they make, Im sure it will do well.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo