Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million

City Interactive announces that Sniper: Ghost Warrior has sold more than one million copies worldwide on Xbox 360 and PC in the seven months since the release of the first-person shooter. They say: "A lot of hard work and dedication by the entire City Interactive team went into the development of Sniper: Ghost Warrior, so we are understandably pleased about the worldwide success of the game," said Marek Tymiński, CEO of City Interactive. "This success is the perfect backdrop to reveal details about some of the fantastic games that we currently have in our development pipeline, including the sequel to Sniper: Ghost Warrior and a couple of unannounced projects."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 18, 2011, 01:19 Grokk

I'm happy to say that I'm one of those million. The game isn't really that bad to be honest, and given that it was on steam at half the cost of alleged AAA games I believe i got my monies worth.
Sure there are some cheaper games that are better, but then again there are a whole lot more expensive games that are considerably worse.

FWIW, I didn't buy it for the online multiplayer and haven't played any MP games with it. As far as single player games go however, it was reasonable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 20:46 Fingers M

I don't find it all that surprising, if you have played any mp fps lately everyone tries to snipe.  

22. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 20:37 Mark

kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 17:12:
Sniper Hero
Ha, I can imagine the massive sniper gun controller that comes with the game.

21. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 17:43 Prez

Verno wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 11:48:
People just love sniper games, even those dumb little Flash games usually get ungodly amounts of hits. Sniper: Elite is another title that I'm surprised to still see people playing.

I think Sniper Elite is actually a nifty little stealth game. I found it to be a lot of fun. I got it from GOG a while back, even after I bought it on Steam. Not sure why; guess I'm retarded.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 17:13 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 16:18:
I'd expect that helped sales. I mean, something has to be responsible...

I suspect the word "sniper" did the trick for the average Wal-Mart consumer.

Imagine what happens when Duke NUKEM is out...

19. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 17:12 Kxmode

Mark wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 14:10:
Wow, very surprised. It must be the name.

Next up "Call of Duty: Sniper"

Sniper Hero

18. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 16:37 RenownWolf

Hump wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 14:54:
we live in a world where a pile of shit like Lady GaGa sells millions and someone truly talented like Amanda Palmer has to rely on fans for pocket change.

This news isn't surprising in the least.

And such is taste, I went and looked her up and didn't enjoy. Then again, I don't like Lady Mangaga either.

Back on topic, everybody loves the idea of a sniper, sitting hidden waiting ready to take that perfect shot to kill an enemy... Though I'm scared as hell of the day they have robot snipers... fkers would be so fast they'd be aimboting irl!

http://www.renownwolf.com

17. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 16:18 Jerykk

I suspect the word "sniper" did the trick for the average Wal-Mart consumer.

16. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 14:54 Hump

we live in a world where a pile of shit like Lady GaGa sells millions and someone truly talented like Amanda Palmer has to rely on fans for pocket change.

This news isn't surprising in the least.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

15. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 14:41 Blueshrike

They need to rename Deus Ex then repackage as "Sniper: Long Range Take Down" with no other improvements and watch it rake in another million sales  

14. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 14:18 Beamer

This game had a very, very cool trailer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 14:10 Mark

Wow, very surprised. It must be the name.

Next up "Call of Duty: Sniper"

12. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 13:19 zirik

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 11:51:
City Interactive mostly does PC games though, this was their first big console release that I know of.

theyve been doing a lot of hunting and arcade gallery type shooting games for the nintendo wii.

11. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 12:27 Wallshadows

Kind of brushes me up against Silent Scope arcade memories though.  

10. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 12:18 Jerykk

Sigh.  

9. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 12:18 Parallax Abstraction

I'm guessing the majority of those million sales were to the bro crowd who never buy anything but Halo and Call of Duty and saw this as another game in that vein. These are people who don't read reviews but if they hear something's like one of the other things they buy regularly, they jump on it. I'm guessing the second one will bomb now that all those people know what they bought.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

8. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 11:53 007Bistromath

JaguarUSF wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 11:30:
Sad that a game with no redeemable qualities sells so well, and so many awesome games never break even.
Its name is it's redeeming quality. If you don't think the word "sniper" can sell a million by itself, you don't know shooter kids very well.

7. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 11:51 StingingVelvet

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 10:48:
Me too. Surprisingly though the game had a PC demo but not a console one. Kind of backwards if you look at the latest trend in the PC demo department for some big developers these days that apparently love and support PC gaming.

City Interactive mostly does PC games though, this was their first big console release that I know of. Since it is now their best seller I would assume the whole "mostly PC" thing will go out with the bathwater though.

I got this game for $5 and had some fun with it... it looks pretty most of the time.

6. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 11:48 Verno

People just love sniper games, even those dumb little Flash games usually get ungodly amounts of hits. Sniper: Elite is another title that I'm surprised to still see people playing.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

5. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Sells a Million Feb 17, 2011, 11:41 spindoctor

This definitely qualifies as the most surprisingly high selling title of 2010. I was pretty amazed to see it hold onto a slot in the Steam top 10 selling list for many, many weeks after it released. Maybe it was the budget price that sold it. Or maybe it was it's visibility and popularity... the fact that it was selling so well possibly made a few people buy it just to see why it was selling so well, thus continuing the cycle.

Very strange for game that got reviewed so poorly.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo