Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned over the weekend we were hitting a prominent barbeque. This was Dinosaur Barbeque, as they have opened a new branch in Troy, so we visited there after heading upstate to visit my brother WalterEgo. Years ago MrsBlue and I talked about heading up to their original location in Syracuse before they opened their Harlem spot, but we never made it. As it turns out the place was nice and the service was excellent, but while the food was very good, it did not live up to our elevated expectations based on the awards the place has earned. We decided it was worth the half-hour drive from Albany, but would not have been worth the several hours it would have taken us to get to Syracuse, though of course we can't be sure the food would be the same at the two locations.

Dinosaur Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Rebuild.
Attractor.
Cosmic Commander.
Links: The Consumerist's 2011 Valentine's Day Garden Of Discontent. Thanks Boing Boing.
5 Amazing Things Invented by Donald Duck (Seriously).
26 memorable sci-fi movie and TV weddings you'll want to crash. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Coca Cola recipe 'discovered'.
Woman caught shoplifting when motorized cart gets stuck. Thanks Slashdot.
Colombia seizes smugglers' 'narcosub'.
Science: Huge Solar Flare Erupts, Sun's Most Powerful In 4 Years.
Mild asthma might not need to be treated daily.
Heart pump 'mends' Airdrie woman's heart.
Media: Cat Sh*t One - Here They Come. NSFW.
Whitest Kids You Know- X-Ray Elves. NSFW.
Conan's VD Explosion Contest.
The Funnies: xkcd- Wisdom Teeth.
Follow-up: Suit says BP official resigned over safety issues.
Zinc found to be effective in treating colds.
Anthrax report casts doubt on scientific evidence in FBI case against Bruce Ivins.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 21:25 Cutter

Wow, that was a seriously impressive trailer. One can only hope the game holds up as well. Colour me interested at this point.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 21:01 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 20:06:
Oh my, this Dead Island trailer is tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

To paraphrase a videosift comment, that may end up being the worst game ever made but it has the best vg trailer ever made.

Whoa you weren't kidding.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 20:57 Sepharo

A middling hot on the Blue scale is probably flames and tears on mine.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 20:06 PHJF

Oh my, this Dead Island trailer is tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

To paraphrase a videosift comment, that may end up being the worst game ever made but it has the best vg trailer ever made.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 19:29  Blue 

xmb1121 wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 11:20:
Even looking at that place's menu, I still can't reconcile how Yankees classify BBQ vs how Southerners do. Like the main menu item is a plate of wet ribs, but are they smoked at all? I didn't notice in my cursory examination. Then they have some pulled pork, but don't tell you any details about it, either. Did they boil it then smoke it? Grill it? For Yankees, there is no difference to these processes as they call them all "bbqing" where for us, eat version or combination creates different flavor and texture to the meat.

That was the big complaint for me, is though the meats were smoked, they did not have the proper smoky flavor, and I tried the pulled pork, the brisket, and the ribs. The wings were tasty, but again, I tried the "Devil's Duel" and they were only about middling hot, which was surprising. Some of the apps were excellent though, the deviled eggs were great and the fried green tomatoes were outstanding. The sides I had were very good too, they were the cole slaw and the fried rice. As I said, it was all good enough, but the lack of smoked flavor on the meats was a let-down, considering that is the essence of BBQ.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 18:52 Cutter

I've always loved me honey based sauces for BBQ ribs, beef ribs in particular, so their honey garlic sounds goods. I love Tony Roma's Carolina honey sauce! Damn, now I want some dinosaur sized beef ribs slathered in honey sauce!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 16:58 JoeNapalm

Dino BBQ!

Maaaan...now I'm hungry.

My folks were so happy to find that they could get Dinosaur BBQ sauce online that they had to call me to enthuse.

Say "Hi" to Upstate for me. Brrr!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 14:47 PHJF

NC is, without a doubt, The South. Sure you'll get a lot of northern folk retiring along the coastline or moving down there for school, but born-and-raised North Carolinians are pure southern folk.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 13:48 mch

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 13:34:
watchoo talkin bout willis

Go into Georgia or Arkansas and mention NC, they'll say everyone there is Yankees.

In fact, usually people that use the term "yankees" for anything other than a baseball team consider North Carolina not a southern state.

Can't be helping the whole 'uneducated south' stereotype.

Because that's absolutely ridiculous.

PSN: CaseDesignate

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 13:34 Beamer

Go into Georgia or Arkansas and mention NC, they'll say everyone there is Yankees.

In fact, usually people that use the term "yankees" for anything other than a baseball team consider North Carolina not a southern state.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 13:26 space captain

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 12:06:
Then again, I'm well aware parts of the country don't consider NC the South.

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 12:06 Beamer

Even looking at that place's menu, I still can't reconcile how Yankees classify BBQ vs how Southerners do. Like the main menu item is a plate of wet ribs, but are they smoked at all? I didn't notice in my cursory examination. Then they have some pulled pork, but don't tell you any details about it, either. Did they boil it then smoke it? Grill it? For Yankees, there is no difference to these processes as they call them all "bbqing" where for us, eat version or combination creates different flavor and texture to the meat.

Don't know where you're from, but this is how it's done in NC, too.
Then again, I'm well aware parts of the country don't consider NC the South.

Blue, I always found Daisy Mae's to be better than Dinosaur. Both are infinitely better than Brother Jimmy's, but Brother Jimmy's hit the spot prior to Ranger games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Stupid moment Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 Hyatus

I've been coming here for over a decade and I just now got WalterEgo's handle. My head hurts after that facepalm.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 11:20 xmb1121

4. Re: Try Feb 16, 2011, 11:18 Killer Kane

Or Troy  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 11:01 Hoop

Any word from Viseral games on when the key remapping patch for Dead Space2 will be out?

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 10:30 nin

Colombia seizes smugglers' 'narcosub'.

Amazing what these people come up with!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2011, 10:25 Will W

So when is the first BluesNews BBQ cook off?  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo