Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends

The promised open beta test event is now underway in RIFT, offering the chance to try on Trion's upcoming MMORPG for size. Word is you can also Tweet from within the game: "Tweeting from Telara couldn’t be easier. After entering your Twitter login info in the settings menu, players can simply type “/tweet” into in-game chat and update their feed. Achievements are tweeted automatically by default, but the option can be switched off in the settings menu."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 17, 2011, 09:50 Hammer

Yeah...did some more searching this morning, and apparently, it's under the Camera menu. Guess they wanted to be different than all the others!

I'll give it another go when I get home today I guess. It did look pretty interesting

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 17, 2011, 08:31 Alamar

Tried it...and after about 5 minutes, gave up on it.

Why...? Cuz there ain't any friggin Invert Mouse option! I just can't play without that...

Makes me wonder what other basic feature they figured they could go without.

I can totally relate to this... Games that don't supply that option, should be dragged out and... have the option added...

Happily, the 3 seconds or so of searching shows this option in Rift... Oddly, either in mouse, or camera, this option always exists...

-Alamar

12. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 17, 2011, 08:02 Hammer

Tried it...and after about 5 minutes, gave up on it.

Why...? Cuz there ain't any friggin Invert Mouse option! I just can't play without that...

Makes me wonder what other basic feature they figured they could go without.

11. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 20:59 Kobalt

What people that complain about quests don't realize is, the fastest way to lvl is doing rifts. Seriously try it, even faster if you have a premade group that can run around and do entire rifts themselves.  

10. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 10:43 justice7

having not played WoW a whole lot, but I did play Warhammer Online, RIFT is a very nice transition. I personally love the game, and regardless of the troll's saying "$5 or F2P in a year", I humbly submit that you're wrong.

Rift is going to be a successful game, I very much doubt it will see WoW numbers, but it will continue on as a profitable and very good game. The development team knows their stuff, and that's important.

I bought it, have been playing the beta's and loving it. Don't really care what others think, i'm having fun.

9. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 08:48 Alamar

Let me know what you guys think of RIFT. I got the whole been there done that feeling. Plus the starter area enemies were so scripted it felt really lame. Add the fact that the supposed random RIFTs kept spawning in the same small area just sank my hope that the game would be something special.

I plan on trying another starter area/race/side during the open beta but I'm not expecting any surprises. Basically everything I saw had been done before and in most cases better...

If you've played one traditional massive, you've played them all... Much like, every, other, genre... But anyhow, specifically...

Sounds like you didn't get past the intro area(s)... The first one is the story tutorial area (up to lvl 5/6), and yes, it's always the same... The second, is when you enter the 'real' world, so yes, those first 2 rift locations purposefully spawn in the same spot, and frequently, so people can get a feel for how it looks/feels... For those of us that have played 5 billion games, and like below, complained about 5.9 billion of them, it seems like a bad design. I disagree ; )

However, what I did think was bad, is that there are two starting points. I personally hate that, as I like to make alts and experience new (starter) content. Not much point here. I'll be playing on a Defiant server, so all my chars start exactly the same. Now, while there is a very good story/lore reason for this, it's still... wearing.

And back to the good... I like alts, but one of the things Rift does, that is new, and about time, is class/calling versatility. In short, you never need to lvl more than 4 characters (good and bad for those that like alts).... Because each character gets access to all 8 pve souls, has 4 roles they can 'spec out' and switch between. And the reason why this is even better than a tri or quad spec in other games, is that mages can heal/support, rogues can tank/support, and clerics can do it all (bastards)...

Also, I ask all the time when the debate comes up in game, and I'll ask again... In what ways is this game a 'WoW clone' specifically... Seems no one can ever answer that...

And in short... If you want a new story, a new world, and a lot of versatility and don't mind getting randomly attacked by various rift/invasion types, give the open beta, that's still going till the 21st (plenty of time to get out of the first over-packed zone, and get a better feel for the game), a good go.

Nope, played WoW, EQ, et al. and you've played Rift. I'll go through it all one of these days when the client is $5 or it's F2P which won't be long.

Do you ever pass up the chance to troll? And yes, I realize I'm breaking the cardinal no-feed-troll rule... But meh... As someone that claims to be a long time gamer, do you really not 'get it' yet?

As for 'on topic'... I don't use twitter, but I saw the settings page for it and thought it was 'so cute'..

-Alamar

8. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 08:03 Bhruic

It's definitely WoW with a new skin

I'm going to be playing it, but right now, I've been playing through the beta with a friend. Every time I come across a game design issue, and I ask her about it, the answer is always "That's how they do it in WoW". Which makes me wonder what the point of the game is? People who want a WoW clone are probably already playing WoW. Innovate a little. The class system is fairly unique, so they've got that going for them. But otherwise, I'm a bit disappointed by how much they've apparently cookie-cut other MMOs (WoW mostly, but a little EQ2 as well).

7. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 04:14 Mac

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 02:18:
One of my goals in life is to help take the MMOrpg to the next level, I will give feedback. If money is not problem, go spend the cash, it might keep you happy for a few weeks. The game got old to me after a few beta tries, this includes the rifts that everyone is talking about. The rifts are about the only idea that is a step forward.Everything else is a step or two back.Like I have said before, the rifts get old fast.The graphics are sub-par, the animation is lacking as well. Come on guys, the same looking pet for every one? Wow out did this years ago. If you want to portray yourself as a Wow killer, at least be in the same zip code.

Crud, I might even start a blog about this topic. Oo

Excellent - one less whiner in game !

6. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 02:18 AnointedSword

One of my goals in life is to help take the MMOrpg to the next level, I will give feedback. If money is not problem, go spend the cash, it might keep you happy for a few weeks. The game got old to me after a few beta tries, this includes the rifts that everyone is talking about. The rifts are about the only idea that is a step forward.Everything else is a step or two back.Like I have said before, the rifts get old fast.The graphics are sub-par, the animation is lacking as well. Come on guys, the same looking pet for every one? Wow out did this years ago. If you want to portray yourself as a Wow killer, at least be in the same zip code.

Crud, I might even start a blog about this topic. Oo

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

5. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 01:38 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 21:39:
Nope, played WoW, EQ, et al. and you've played Rift. I'll go through it all one of these days when the client is $5 or it's F2P which won't be long.

For a game you don't like you sure make it a point to post in every single news story about it that you can find. Just move on already :p

4. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 00:17 Downer28

Overall, I like it. The questing is the same crap we all know and hate, but the rifts and invasions make the zones interesting and fun. The class system also seems well done and not cookie cutter like what WoW has turned into. I'm not sure if I'm buying it yet, but it could keep me occupied until Guild Wars 2.  

3. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 16, 2011, 00:01 Frijoles

It's definitely WoW with a new skin. I compare it to vanilla WoW more than anything. The quests are very similar, and there's not much (any?) phasing that I can see. No riding quests. Not much of anything fancy with the quests.

None the less, I bought it. I enjoy WoW, but I want something different. The rifts are fun, the invasions are fun, and the classes are fun. That makes it different enough for me (at least for a bit) to give it a try. It's also very polished, something rare in the MMO world.

2. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 15, 2011, 21:39 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: RIFT Beta Opens, Tweet Your Friends Feb 15, 2011, 21:04 Paranoid Jack

Let me know what you guys think of RIFT. I got the whole been there done that feeling. Plus the starter area enemies were so scripted it felt really lame. Add the fact that the supposed random RIFTs kept spawning in the same small area just sank my hope that the game would be something special.

I plan on trying another starter area/race/side during the open beta but I'm not expecting any surprises. Basically everything I saw had been done before and in most cases better...

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo