Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Art of Video Games Voting

The Smithsonian American Art Museum announces they are inviting the public to vote on The Art of Video Games, an exhibition on the evolution of video games as an artistic medium which opens in Washington, D.C. March 16, 2012. Here's a bit:

Voting will take place online, www.artofvideogames.org, from Feb. 14 through April 7. A valid e-mail address is the only requirement to vote. The website will offer participants a chance to vote for 80 games from a pool of 240 proposed choices in various categories, divided by era, game type and platform. The winning games will be displayed in the exhibition as screen shots and short video clips. The website will include an online forum where gaming enthusiasts can campaign for particular games and voice their opinions about the selections.

The games on the voting site were selected for their graphic excellence, artistic intent and innovative game design. Results will be available online in May.

View
12. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 01:34 Draugr

CannibalBob wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 00:41:
Draugr wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:05:
Yay, for recognition of the medium!

hopefully with this voting, people keep in mind what they are voting for, and don't look at it as a "vote for what you liked" situation.

I don't understand. I thought beauty was in the eye of the beholder. How can you vote for something you didn't like or even play?

Well, I voted. It's interesting how they break up all the games into 4 genres: Action, Adventure, Target and Strategy. Think 'arcade' for 'target'. What's even more weird is that they break up the games into consoles/systems. NES, PC, XBox, C64 etc. How does the medium affect the game's artistic qualities? Some games are on many systems, like Mass Effect 2 or Sim City 2000, yet they are only in one of the categories. It would've made more sense to have the 4 game genres and just throw all the games into each one, regardless of the game system.

There are some serious games missing, though... Planescape Torment, Braid, X Quest (Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest etc), Monkey Island, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Commander Keen ... I could go on, but overall it felt like a weak selection.

edit: It's still pretty nifty, though. Glad to see games are getting recognized. IMO anything that stirs up feelings and thought is art.

I don't mean to imply that everyone should have similar tastes, but there are plenty of games that i can acknowledge for artistic merit that I myself did not enjoy. The exhibit is to stress art and innovation, not what sold the most copy or people find most enjoyable. Luckily, this goes hand-in-hand on many occasions so it can be quite easy. For me, this played out with deciding between, Lunar and Final Fantasy VII, I personally enjoyed Lunar more, (at least at the time of when I played them, it's been so long for both titles,) but I chose FFVII, because it had better, more innovative art/gameplay at the time, by the criteria we are asked to judge i clearly think its the winner, even though Lunar is my fav of the two.
I was merely commenting thats how some people will treat this voting system, as opposed to considering artistic merit as paramount. If it was just a matter of what people enjoyed playing they already have sales numbers to give them input for that.

The PC is severely under represented, and only shows up starting in what they call the 4th era. Commodore 64 is in era 2, but that is a specific system, certainly not encompassing all PC's - and what about eras 1 and 3?
How can they over look things like the Kings Quest series from Sierra, Eye of The Beholder 2 from SSI, or Catacomb/Catacomb 3-D from John Carmack.

I agree with you in that I think it would be better to make it more genre focused, as opposed to platform/genre specific, and then in addition adding more "era's" as some things just don't get a fair shake. I think it'd be silly to ignore the contributions that quake made for example in regards to 3D and improvement upon the FPS genre, but with the way they consider things there appears to be no room for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2011, 02:10.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 14, 21:05 Re: Art of Video Games Voting Draugr
  2. Feb 14, 21:23  Re: Art of Video Games Voting Esoteric
  3. Feb 14, 21:28   Re: Art of Video Games Voting PHJF
  4. Feb 14, 21:45    Re: Art of Video Games Voting ASeven
  6. Feb 14, 22:45    Re: Art of Video Games Voting Sepharo
  7. Feb 14, 23:14     Re: Art of Video Games Voting Jow
  8. Feb 14, 23:48  Re: Art of Video Games Voting killer_roach
  9. Feb 15, 00:41  Re: Art of Video Games Voting CannibalBob
>> 12. Feb 15, 01:34   Re: Art of Video Games Voting Draugr
  13. Feb 15, 02:35    Re: Art of Video Games Voting Jerykk