Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Art of Video Games Voting

The Smithsonian American Art Museum announces they are inviting the public to vote on The Art of Video Games, an exhibition on the evolution of video games as an artistic medium which opens in Washington, D.C. March 16, 2012. Here's a bit:

Voting will take place online, www.artofvideogames.org, from Feb. 14 through April 7. A valid e-mail address is the only requirement to vote. The website will offer participants a chance to vote for 80 games from a pool of 240 proposed choices in various categories, divided by era, game type and platform. The winning games will be displayed in the exhibition as screen shots and short video clips. The website will include an online forum where gaming enthusiasts can campaign for particular games and voice their opinions about the selections.

The games on the voting site were selected for their graphic excellence, artistic intent and innovative game design. Results will be available online in May.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 09:44 Alamar

WTF! No Wolfenstein 3D? That is first PC FPS and what started/pioneered FPSs.

Wolf 3D is just as much the first PC FPS as EQ is the first graphical massive...

I can relate with the sentiment though; I was hoping the list was more innovative/groundbreaking/introducing/etc than seemingly random...

I ended up only using half my votes, because in many cases, the 3 options were lackluster (and of course, a few times, I hadn't played more than one of the three, so not really fair to throw a vote out there).

I was happy to see a few things, like Dune 2 (the first PC RTS, oh ma gaw : )

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 09:31 heroin

It could go on and on but no <Homeworld (1999) transition Era 4>  

14. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 03:08 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 02:35:
hopefully with this voting, people keep in mind what they are voting for, and don't look at it as a "vote for what you liked" situation.

I'm not sure how that can work. Anything that relies on votes ultimately boils down to what games the most people played. Unless you've played every game on the list, you are not qualified to make an educated choice.

Seems to me like the way to go there would be to recuse yourself from that section of the voting, if you're truly missing what is considered pertinent information.

If it's about what most people played or is most popular, we've got data for that, so why bother with voting? Because this is about aesthetics and innovation, not sales or popularity, (though sometimes the two are connected.) If it's treated as such, we should just do as Sepharo said, save us some time, and declare WoW and CoD the winners in their respective categories.

I really can't change how people perceive the survey though, all I can do is express how people should be approaching it (or at least how I think they should, which I consider true to the intent of the exhibit.)
They say, "Remember, this is an art exhibition, so be sure to vote for games that you think are visually spectacular or boast innovative design!"
Not, "Pick your favorite games in the list."

But as you said, "Unless you've played every game on the list, you are not qualified to make an educated choice." I couldn't agree more, I think the approach they've taken is flawed.
I'll still play along though.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2011, 03:14.

13. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 02:35 Jerykk

hopefully with this voting, people keep in mind what they are voting for, and don't look at it as a "vote for what you liked" situation.

I'm not sure how that can work. Anything that relies on votes ultimately boils down to what games the most people played. Unless you've played every game on the list, you are not qualified to make an educated choice.

12. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 01:34 Draugr

CannibalBob wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 00:41:
Draugr wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:05:
Yay, for recognition of the medium!

I don't understand. I thought beauty was in the eye of the beholder. How can you vote for something you didn't like or even play?

Well, I voted. It's interesting how they break up all the games into 4 genres: Action, Adventure, Target and Strategy. Think 'arcade' for 'target'. What's even more weird is that they break up the games into consoles/systems. NES, PC, XBox, C64 etc. How does the medium affect the game's artistic qualities? Some games are on many systems, like Mass Effect 2 or Sim City 2000, yet they are only in one of the categories. It would've made more sense to have the 4 game genres and just throw all the games into each one, regardless of the game system.

There are some serious games missing, though... Planescape Torment, Braid, X Quest (Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest etc), Monkey Island, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Commander Keen ... I could go on, but overall it felt like a weak selection.

edit: It's still pretty nifty, though. Glad to see games are getting recognized. IMO anything that stirs up feelings and thought is art.

I don't mean to imply that everyone should have similar tastes, but there are plenty of games that i can acknowledge for artistic merit that I myself did not enjoy. The exhibit is to stress art and innovation, not what sold the most copy or people find most enjoyable. Luckily, this goes hand-in-hand on many occasions so it can be quite easy. For me, this played out with deciding between, Lunar and Final Fantasy VII, I personally enjoyed Lunar more, (at least at the time of when I played them, it's been so long for both titles,) but I chose FFVII, because it had better, more innovative art/gameplay at the time, by the criteria we are asked to judge i clearly think its the winner, even though Lunar is my fav of the two.
I was merely commenting thats how some people will treat this voting system, as opposed to considering artistic merit as paramount. If it was just a matter of what people enjoyed playing they already have sales numbers to give them input for that.

The PC is severely under represented, and only shows up starting in what they call the 4th era. Commodore 64 is in era 2, but that is a specific system, certainly not encompassing all PC's - and what about eras 1 and 3?
How can they over look things like the Kings Quest series from Sierra, Eye of The Beholder 2 from SSI, or Catacomb/Catacomb 3-D from John Carmack.

I agree with you in that I think it would be better to make it more genre focused, as opposed to platform/genre specific, and then in addition adding more "era's" as some things just don't get a fair shake. I think it'd be silly to ignore the contributions that quake made for example in regards to 3D and improvement upon the FPS genre, but with the way they consider things there appears to be no room for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2011, 02:10.

11. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 01:13 Blackhawk

Either they needed a large number of categories to facilitate the voting process, or (more likely) they wanted the categories to ensure that they were presenting a broad base of examples, with some from every era from every platform.

If they were doing traditional art, they might divide it by era and medium (sculpture, pastels, oil, etc.) so that the exhibit would show a little of each, even if it meant that some good examples from one of the common mediums got missed.

10. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 01:13 MajorD

WTF! No Wolfenstein 3D? That is first PC FPS and what started/pioneered FPSs. Disappointed  

9. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 15, 2011, 00:41 CannibalBob

I don't understand. I thought beauty was in the eye of the beholder. How can you vote for something you didn't like or even play?

Well, I voted. It's interesting how they break up all the games into 4 genres: Action, Adventure, Target and Strategy. Think 'arcade' for 'target'. What's even more weird is that they break up the games into consoles/systems. NES, PC, XBox, C64 etc. How does the medium affect the game's artistic qualities? Some games are on many systems, like Mass Effect 2 or Sim City 2000, yet they are only in one of the categories. It would've made more sense to have the 4 game genres and just throw all the games into each one, regardless of the game system.

There are some serious games missing, though... Planescape Torment, Braid, X Quest (Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest etc), Monkey Island, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Commander Keen ... I could go on, but overall it felt like a weak selection.

edit: It's still pretty nifty, though. Glad to see games are getting recognized. IMO anything that stirs up feelings and thought is art.

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

8. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 23:48 killer_roach

Yeah... had some interesting internal debates with myself on that one. Especially when my favorite in a group also had a fair bit of artistic merit (I'm looking at the God of War / Shadow of the Colossus matchup in particular).

7. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 23:14 Jow

was just voting on these and the site went apeshit. None of the images load or anything now just blank black boxes. Was all excited about this too. Blah.  

6. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 22:45 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:28:
Special Guest Speaker: Roger Ebert

5. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 22:44 Sepharo

Voting? Boo...

WoW and CoD win! Hooray art!

4. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 21:45 ASeven

Paradroid. Everybody vote for Paradroid or hand your gamer card. One of the, if not the best game ever made and is still as fun today as it was back then on the C64.  

3. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 21:28 PHJF

Special Guest Speaker: Roger Ebert  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 21:23 Esoteric

The site isn't working very well for me. Takes a while to load each era, and for the voting to go through.  

1. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 21:05 Draugr

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo