Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming

MyCrysis has another statement from Crytek's Cevat Yerli about the Crysis 2 leak taking a somewhat different approach than his first statement by thanking gamers for their support and offering reassurances that the PC "will always be important to Crytek in the future" (thanks SpectralMeat). Here's the whole post:

As you all have heard by now, an early, incomplete build of Crysis 2 has been leaked online. While we are deeply disappointed by these events, we are all completely overwhelmed by the support we have received from you, our community.

Despite this unfortunate incident, we can assure you that PC gaming is very important to us and will always be important to Crytek in the future. We are all still focused on delivering a great gaming experience to our true and honest fans. I hope you will enjoy Crysis 2 on PC, as we think it is our best PC game yet!

We appreciate all of your continued support, and look forward to playing online with you soon!

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 16, 2011, 00:25 StingingVelvet

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 08:16:
Lol, youre right, most say "press enter" "press space" or "press enter or start", still some say "press start". Do you really wanna go there? I think you noticed already how stupid your comment was.

I didn't notice shit.

I have 15 year old PC exclusives that say "press enter" or "press space"... you're so busy looking for traces of console disease you can't see the signs two feet from your face. It's a common thing to have a "press ____ " at the start of the game, even on PC. It has nothing to do with the wretched consoles.

Give me an example of a PC game that always says "press start" and I will agree that game fucked up. Otherwise move the fuck on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 13:02 swaaye

nutshell42 wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 09:08:
Linear gameplay, ridiculous FoV, yesteryear graphics; it sure sounds like you whiners talk about Half-Life 2, amiright?
Isn't that the truth. Had top notch art and PR though.

86. Eh Feb 15, 2011, 09:48 Ludomancer

At this point, no one should really complain. The game is good. It will sell well. I am buying it, whereas I would not have bothered even trying it out if I had to pay $60 for it with no other options.
EA should do this on purpose more often!

85. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 09:08 nutshell42

Linear gameplay, ridiculous FoV, yesteryear graphics; it sure sounds like you whiners talk about Half-Life 2, amiright?

On Crytek, I definitely prefer their new tone to their old one. And I also think that this leak was pretty bad (pre-release leak with what appears to be 360 limitations. This might actually keep some people who would have bought the game otherwise from doing so. A leak a month after release otoh won't do much damage), but frankly, a lot of games have this problem and it's up to Crytek to engage their honest fans with frequent updates and goodies.

84. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 08:56 avianflu

SV I mostly agree but you have to admit that consoles still have underwhelming framerates (lucky to get a a stable 30 frames per second in any game) and it is noticeable and annoying. PC's have so much more graphical power and it pays big time in the frame rate dept.

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 02:23:
Prez wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 01:56:
I think that having to try to live up to PC standards, if only in minimalistic ways, has had the effect of making console games better and better, thus the ports are becoming more and more tolerable.

Indeed. Compare an old port like Thief 3 to recent stuff. Consoles have gotten to the point where, for my tastes at least, they no longer turn games to absolute crap with small areas and completely undefined textures.

Games would still all be better if built for the PC and then ported to consoles, but still, games can be quite good either way.

83. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 08:16 Muscular Beaver

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 22:48:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 22:09:
StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:50:
Secondly I have seen "press start" on a PC game a total of never in my life with a controller not plugged in. Most people leave their controllers plugged in, which games auto-detect now-a-days, and then complain when the game shows controller graphics.

Not to sound like an ass, but when was the last time you played a PC game? 1995?
Right now I have a total of 10 games installed and 8 of them have this with no controller plugged in (sold that sorry excuse for an input device long ago).

They say "press start"? What games are they? I never see "press start" ever, I always see press enter or whatever, and we had that way before console ports.

Lol, youre right, most say "press enter" "press space" or "press enter or start", still some say "press start". Do you really wanna go there? I think you noticed already how stupid your comment was.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2011, 08:25.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

82. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 07:37 Beamer

Keep in mind that I can easily distinguish aliasing from 8 feet away on a 50 inch TV.

I still say you're distinguishing low poly counts, causing ridiculous aliasing and that consoles benefit more from using that GPU time to create more polygons than run AA, but yes, you would want a lower FOV if you run a PC game through a TV.

Again, I don't really get why the window explanation is a difficult one. That's exactly what a monitor/TV is in an FPS. Or, to put it another way, imagine your cone of vision. Now put the monitor/TV in it. It should fluidly reflect that cone of vision. As you move it closer to your eyes it needs a wider FOV to do so. People get nauseous because their brain expects to be able to see a certain cone.

This isn't some amazing technical thing, it's simple biology. I don't get why you're so resistent to it. Yes, I know, you think everything about the PC is better, but you have to accept that people more knowledgable about these things tried it out and figured this out years ago. People probably not even connected to gaming but instead university researchers.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

81. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 03:45 Dmitri_M

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:35:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 19:38:
Soo... like Zork then?
No. More like zork is like mission impossible.

80. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 02:23 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 01:56:
I think that having to try to live up to PC standards, if only in minimalistic ways, has had the effect of making console games better and better, thus the ports are becoming more and more tolerable.

Indeed. Compare an old port like Thief 3 to recent stuff. Consoles have gotten to the point where, for my tastes at least, they no longer turn games to absolute crap with small areas and completely undefined textures.

Games would still all be better if built for the PC and then ported to consoles, but still, games can be quite good either way.

79. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 01:56 Prez

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 00:49:

Well some of us don't want to buy consoles and are annoyed as all hell with aliasing and analog aiming, so we quite like that these games keep getting ported to the PC even if they are not as good as they would be if the PC was the only game platform in existence.

Yup.

Someone in another thread mentioned GTA3 was a console game first, and was a huge improvement over the first 2 GTA's, which were for PC. That is absolutely true, but there's no doubt in my mind that GTA3 (and probably San Andreas at least) would have been much better had they been designed on and for a PC. While we were glad to get our hands on such an innovative game (for the time, I believe it was the first non-RPG sandbox game), I couldn't help but wonder how much better it would have been if designed fro PC first. We all knew that it wasn't as good as it could have been, but we still played it on PC, because the PC version was still the superior version. This is true of almost every port nowadays, with the exception of a few lazy port jobs.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

78. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 00:49 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 00:32:
And I don't have a problem with a company switching to consoles if that is what they think will make them money. I'd just rather said company not pretend to be making something that matters to the type of gamer I am. That's insulting...which probably means nothing to the company in question.

Well some of us don't want to buy consoles and are annoyed as all hell with aliasing and analog aiming, so we quite like that these games keep getting ported to the PC even if they are not as good as they would be if the PC was the only game platform in existence.

77. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 00:32 Slashman

swaaye wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 21:28:
The problem is not consoles vs. PC. The problem is the way the industry has grown and wants to sell its games to millions of people instead of say 300,000 like in the '90s. When you target millions of people, you do things differently, particularly when your budget is now $20-30 million instead of $1 million like the yonder years. And what's even more "interesting" is that what's coming out today is really an evolution of what they think worked with other recent million sellers. The real kicker is they are probably spot on to go after the mega huge CoD / Halo crowd. They mean more for moola than some bitchy UT99 / Half Life 1 nostalgia sufferers like us.

And I don't have a problem with a company switching to consoles if that is what they think will make them money. I'd just rather said company not pretend to be making something that matters to the type of gamer I am. That's insulting...which probably means nothing to the company in question.

The blame really lies on our species. Not very many people out there have the brain power or desire to play complex games for hundreds of hours. And there's the budget factor and the way it costs ten times more to build content today, and how this has increased the control of the investors (the people who foot the bill).

Which would explain why I don't like humans all that much to begin with. But disregarding that fact, if more games had some meaningful depth along with all the flash and 'awesome' moments? Would that automatically mean that they are doomed to fail? The people who make the games are helping to make retards out of an entire generation of people calling themselves gamers.

Now that's great, because its all about free markets and business sense. But when you keep shaving off the worthwhile parts of a game so as not to offend the mentally challenged/reluctant, you eventually end up with something not worth playing at all or that simply plays itself. I guess I'm morbidly curious to see just how dumbed down they can make this industry before it can't stand on its own. Time will tell, I guess.

And seriously are there people on here who have no love for consoles at all? Are there people here that truly hate SNES, Dreamcast, N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Saturn, etc, etc? I think the game industry would be a hell of a lot interesting without them.

I used to be largely indifferent to them once I got out of my early teens and took PC gaming more seriously. Now, it seems I have to form some kind of opinion about them, because they keep affecting the games I think I'd like to play...and usually for the worse.

Instead of bitching and moaning about Crytek / EA wanting to get mega rich (or at least do more than break even this time), go read about that strange RPG/FPS E.Y.E indie game that's coming.

I'll take a look.

76. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 15, 2011, 00:24 KilrathiAce

Crytek, just call this as a demo beta, thats all. Have a nice day.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

75. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 23:42 Acleacius

Damage control..damage control..depth charges at 12, 9 and 3 we're taking massive damage...dive...dive!

Popcorn

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

74. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 23:41 Prez

Creston wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 23:11:
Wow, quite an about-face for Cevat. Impressive.

/waiting for the demo.

//there IS a PC demo coming, right?

Creston

Yes. It's on all the torrent sites right now!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

73. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 23:40 Jerykk

So, if I run my PC game through my TV with an FOV of 90, it won't feel natural?

Keep in mind that I can easily distinguish aliasing from 8 feet away on a 50 inch TV.

72. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 23:27 Beamer

55 is tunnel vision.

I've explained it here before, though some didn't understand. The screen is essentially a window, and FOV should be set based on your distance from it. The closer you are to a window the wider your peripheral view, which is why a monitor you're 16 inches away from needs a wider FOV than an HDTV you're 8 feet from.

Some like to widen this further for advantage, but until you get used to it it's less natural.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

71. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 23:24 Fion

Fion wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 18:52:
Frankly if they care about the PC they can go so far as to remove the 'press start to begin the game' notice at the start.

First off it's not finished, so that means nothing. Secondly I have seen "press start" on a PC game a total of never in my life with a controller not plugged in. Most people leave their controllers plugged in, which games auto-detect now-a-days, and then complain when the game shows controller graphics.

"Herp derp Mirror's Edge sucks because it forces controller button prompts on me derrrrrrp!" Unplug your controller you stupid asshole!

Arg! You gave me flashbacks.

Lol nice argument with yourself. I know it could be changed (and I hope it is) and that it doesn't equal a bad game, simply hints at a greater truth, that in the end, it is a console port.

I'm still likely to buy the game (though not initially) so I hope some of my issues are fixed. And for the love of god let us change the FoV. I had read you can change it in the leak but I already deleted it because I didn't want to play to much. But still, good to know.

Back in the day I played Quake 2 semi-professionally under the name Codex and my FoV was set to 115 usually. So for me 55 feels like tunnel vision lol.

70. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 23:11 Creston

Wow, quite an about-face for Cevat. Impressive.

/waiting for the demo.

//there IS a PC demo coming, right?

Creston

69. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 22:48 StingingVelvet

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 22:09:
Secondly I have seen "press start" on a PC game a total of never in my life with a controller not plugged in. Most people leave their controllers plugged in, which games auto-detect now-a-days, and then complain when the game shows controller graphics.

Not to sound like an ass, but when was the last time you played a PC game? 1995?
Right now I have a total of 10 games installed and 8 of them have this with no controller plugged in (sold that sorry excuse for an input device long ago).

They say "press start"? What games are they? I never see "press start" ever, I always see press enter or whatever, and we had that way before console ports.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo