Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings

The Ultramarines: The Movie Website has details on free fan screenings of Ultramarines to be held in several U.S. cities the weekend after next, offering a gratis look at this movie using the Warhammer 40,000 setting. This animated film will be the first-ever feature length movie interpretation of the Warhammer 40K universe, and will feature the voices of Terence Stamp, John Hurt, and Sean Pertwee. There will be screenings in Dallas, Seattle, and Chicago on Saturday, February 26 and in Los Angeles, Baltimore, and New York on Sunday, February 27. You can reserve up to two places, or take your chances on the day of each screening, when remaining tickets will be distributed on a first come, first served basis.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 19:49 JohnBirshire

I'm pretty hardcore into Warhammer 40k, have read almost every novel and played every game. *I haven't played tabletop, but I've read all of the source books and have watched others play*

That being said, this movie was rather "meh", both in terms of story and animation. I was hoping it would be great so I could have some people I know watch it and try to convert them...but that won't be happening.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 19:14 Asmo

It was atrocious.

I always figured it was a web release only, not a cinema release... Tbh, this is actually a bit worse than I first thought because a lot of people who haven't experienced 40k before will see this as their first taste of the setting. I can't imagine it will garner too many new fans...

8. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 18:59 entr0py

Overon wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 18:01:
What was so bad about it?

Have you ever watched a really low budget anime where they're obviously trying to avoid animation wherever possible? There was a lot of that. Even the character models and camera movements were amateurish. The only thing that was done well was the decision to hire some Shakespearean actors with appropriately impressive voices. Not that they ever say anything interesting.

Let me try to sum up the plot:

Heresy? HERESY! Emprah? HERESY! EMPRAH!

7. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 18:19 Cutter

Overon wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 18:01:

Boring + Slow = that.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 18:01 Overon

5. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 17:57 entr0py

StreetPreacher wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 16:35:
Animation looks like an average video game cutscene. Which is OK I guess, but for a feature length movie I'd hope for something better.

Perhaps an average video game cutscene from the late-nineties. If you want to see the Warhammer setting come to life, it's more enjoyable just to watch the intro cinematics by Blur Studios and Digic Pictures. Blur did the first Dawn of War and Warhammer Online, and Digic did Mark of Chaos. It's not like missing out on the story of Ultramarines is a loss either, that was terrible as well.

4. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 16:44 Bard

.. it was a 40k movie - which is good.

But it was a very BAD 40k movie

3. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 16:35 StreetPreacher

Animation looks like an average video game cutscene. Which is OK I guess, but for a feature length movie I'd hope for something better.

But it's time at least SOMEONE tried to make a 40K movie. The franchise has so much storytelling to offer. You could take a lot of Black Library books and turn them into great movies. If they just had the budget for better animation.

2. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 14:44 Tanto Edge

meh, it wasn't bad. It was about as much storyline as I'd expect in a 40k movie.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

1. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 14:39 PHJF

This is not very good at all, and that's from somebody who loves 40K.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo