Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3

WBIE announces that Paxton Fettel will be available as a playable character in the single-player campaign in F.E.A.R. 3, the upcoming horror-themed shooter sequel in development at Day 1 Studios. The character, previously announced for the co-op campaign, will be unlocked at the end of each level after first playing through it as Point Man. Word is: "Paxton Fettel offers a unique single player experience focused on his supernatural abilities giving players a new way to play through the level in a way thatís different from Point Manís enhanced super soldier abilities. In the single player campaign, Fettel will wield his telekinetic abilities to suspend, possess, stun or crush enemies. Giving players a choice in who they play as in single player offers additional gameplay value and enables players to re-play a level using different powers and tactics." These new screenshots show off Fettel's mettle, and this trailer offers a brief autobiography and some glimpses of gameplay. The trailer is also embedded below.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 15, 2011, 13:07 swaaye

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 00:53:
I'm tired of defending FEAR 2, which I liked a lot despite its flaws, but this game looks pretty rough. I hope Monolith is working on something great to make up for passing this off.

I've yet to play anything more than the original FEAR and some of Condemned. I was really unimpressed with FEAR 1. It had me bored halfway through. Fortunately the end game was cool.

But I will pick up FEAR 2 sometime when it is $5. It has to be better than Alpha Prime right?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 15, 2011, 00:53 StingingVelvet

I'm tired of defending FEAR 2, which I liked a lot despite its flaws, but this game looks pretty rough. I hope Monolith is working on something great to make up for passing this off.  

15. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 23:41 Jerykk

Monolith is secretly working on sequels to Blood, Shogo and NOLF...

or not. They're probably working on a generic military shooter or movie tie-in.

14. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 23:03 Rilcon

Monolith isn't behind this, Day 1 Studios is. And Monolith didn't do any of the Fear expansions, either.  

13. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 21:40 swaaye

I was pondering Monolith the other day. This company used to make such varied stuff.

But now they've been making FEAR and Condemned crap since what, maybe 2003? FEAR must have been in development for a few years. So we're looking at 9 years maybe of this mediocre "scary" corridor shooter stuff?

12. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 17:59 Overon

It's a shame that to increase the length of the game, they have to rely on the tired replay each level again with a different character. Maybe the story will be different I hope? But I doubt it.  

11. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 17:42 theyarecomingforyou

It does look pretty poor. People complained about the graphics in FEAR2 but I thought they were actually really good, whereas this... just doesn't interest me. Shame.

It's not that the graphics are the only problem, either. The whole game just looks 'meh'.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 17:39 Ray Marden

They aren't "wrong" to do this, but I think so lowly of this game that it just cheapens it even further. Instead of focusing on a well crafted single player experience, it makes me think of beating individual levels one by one and then playing them with another toon for ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!! explosions.

Poor F.E.A.R. - at least I'll always have the first game.
I'll watch reviews, but I'm not expecting to buy this on day one.
Thinking the second was a bit generic and this one is just silly,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

9. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 14:42 PHJF

Having bought FEAR2 on day one...

No thanks.

(that was that day I finally decided to stop buying ***ANYTHING*** on release day)

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 14:24 Creston

That's actually pretty good news. I liked the idea of Paxton being a wildly different character from the point man, and being able to play him sp is cool.

Creston

7. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 14:12 RenownWolf

Whoa not a good trailer imo. The start is mostly just black screen which flickers in and out... No fade, just flashing images for 1-3 seconds, awful!

Graphics are fine, you have PS3 & Xbox360 to thank for their quality.

http://www.renownwolf.com

6. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 14:05 Nameless Again

I'm just an Eye Whore. Anybody up for some skullfucking?  

5. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:58 MajorD

killer_roach wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 13:47:
MajorD wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 13:21:
WTF, did they build this game on the Half-Life 1 engine, or are the screen shots and trailer from an XBox 1? Is it me, or do the graphics look terrible in comparison to F.E.A.R. 2? YAK!!!

I played F.E.A.R., along with the expansion packs, and F.E.A.R. 2, but haven't been too excited about this one from the start. Based on these screenies and trailer, they have just confirmed my decision as a 'No Go' on this one.

I love how the troll can discern visual quality based on quick cuts in a 480p YouTube video.

I notice meshes aren't particularly complex in comparison with other games, but you have to balance that against destructible environments... you're taking computing resources from one place and putting them somewhere else...

Good points; I'm not a Troll, but I am an Eye Candy Whore to a point, or a "Graphics Whore" as Rilcon put it. Cool I was just making a comment on the screens and trailer in today's post and wanted anyone elseís opinion/feedback to confirm whether or not it was me. Obviously I need to compare them side-by-side again to satisfy my curiosity.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2011, 14:05.

4. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:52 MajorD

Rilcon wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 13:31:
WTF, did they build this game on the Half-Life 1 engine, or are the screen shots and trailer from an XBox 1? Is it me, or do the graphics look terrible in comparison to F.E.A.R. 2? YAK!!!

I played F.E.A.R., along with the expansion packs, and F.E.A.R. 2, but haven't been too excited about this one from the start. Based on these screenies and trailer, they have just confirmed my decision as a 'No Go' on this one.

Get your eyes checked, you graphics whore. You and your filthy, fickle, "eye candy foremost" ilk are among the worst things afflicting games today.

LOL Rilcon! Yes, I am an 'Eye Candy WHORE', but hey, don't get me wrong, I also believe a game can still be good and very engrossing without cutting edge graphics. I recently played Thief I and it was still as good the first day I played it when it first came out.

Anyway, with F.E.A.R. 3, based on THESE screenshots and trailer, it just looks like they went backwards it terms of graphics.......

I'll get my eyes checked too though. Glasses2

3. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:47 killer_roach

I love how the troll can discern visual quality based on quick cuts in a 480p YouTube video.

I notice meshes aren't particularly complex in comparison with other games, but you have to balance that against destructible environments... you're taking computing resources from one place and putting them somewhere else...

2. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:31 Rilcon

Get your eyes checked, you graphics whore. You and your filthy, fickle, "eye candy foremost" ilk are among the worst things afflicting games today.

1. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 13:21 MajorD

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo