Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year

The Guild Wars 2 FAQ has an update about plans for testing of ArenaNet's upcoming MMORPG sequel: "We will be conducting small closed alpha and beta tests in 2011. The feedback from these tests will determine when we will do public beta tests and ship the game. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it." Guild Wars 2 Guru has word from ArenaNet that this does not change the game's non-specific release schedule: "The existence of friends and family closed alpha and closed beta this year has changed nothing about the release date. The release date continues to be: when the game is ready." Thanks Massively.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 14, 2011, 09:15 Zadig

Their business model is predicated on releasing new (paid) content every 6-8 months in lieu of a subscription fee. It has been over 40 months since the last release which they announced as the final one since GW2 was already underway. Something has gone wrong with their planning. I hope they aren't having funding issues.

As for the other stuff, Guild Wars is basically a card game designed around tactical PVP - picking your 8 card deck and coordinating it with your teammates is all that matters. The PVE is focused on tactics also. It's not meant to be Diablo. 'Macros', item farming, crafting, and mindless leveling are intentionally non existent. No leveling also means no ghost towns which along with the one server and no subscription makes it unique for fantasy themed online games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 14, 2011, 02:59 Prez

I absolutely HATE MMOs but I played GW for at least a hundred hours if not more. So I guess that means it wasn't an MMO. The only time I really didn't like it was when I had to play with other people to complete the more difficult missions. Which is right when it started feeling just like an MMO, rude, obnoxious people and all.

Unlike myself - I'm such a charmer!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 14, 2011, 01:09 El Pit

Ant wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 22:36:
Granz wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 22:07:
Yeah don't rush... We don't want a another crappy MMO.
Wait, GW1 wasn't a MMO. Is GW2 going to be a true MMO?

I hope not. I liked Guild Wars because you were able to play it alone AND with other players. I love having a choice. If they change this into a second WoW, then GW2 won't be my cup of tea.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 23:04 Ant

Alamar wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 23:00:

They finally came out and admitted GW wasn't, much to the ire of fanboy's everywhere still claiming it so, heh : )

They also stated that GW2 is, but see above : )

Looks massive to me though. Just waiting on some revolutionary : )

-Alamar
We'll just have to test it to find out.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 23:00 Alamar

They finally came out and admitted GW wasn't, much to the ire of fanboy's everywhere still claiming it so, heh : )

They also stated that GW2 is, but see above : )

Looks massive to me though. Just waiting on some revolutionary : )

-Alamar

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 22:36 Ant

Granz wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 22:07:

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 22:07 Granz

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 19:25 Cutter

Yep take all the time you need.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 19:00 Ant

Warskull wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 14:01:
Zadig wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 13:27:
It was supposed to enter beta in late 2009! They haven't released anything for GW in over 3 years which is clearly not ideal.

Writing an MMO from scratch isn't exactly an easy task.
Yeah, don't rush them unless you want a crappy game.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 18:52 Prez

My biggest problem with the first GW was that after pretty early all of the loot you could gain differed only in aesthetics. There was no real joy in finding new loot after a while; a by-product of the balancing act necessitated by tying the PVE so closely with the PVP. That, and everyone and their uncle shitting all over you for having a less than optimum skill set build.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 18:08 Mikus_Aurelius

Must not have read up very well.

Dynamic, world altering events as the exclusive leveling activity rather than predefined quests. No fields of monsters standing around waiting to be pulled. No kill stealing. No healers or tanks.

It's hard not to set myself up for disappointment on this one.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 18:05 AnointedSword

Until they realize that growing old (leveling) in a RPG is a driving force for most people this game will be sub-par as well. Yes, it might be worth a look, but the fact that you could level to 20 instantly took away the epic feeling of being max level. In other words, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. If everyone is doing it, big deal.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 17:34 Alamar

The beyond your standard MMO improvements take time. At least they are evolving the genre.

I'm really looking forward to GW2, and have read up just about everything there is to read, and watched the vids from germany (I think it was) last year...

But, could you please explain how they're evolving the genre? More so than any other 'WoW clone' (and I mean that one jokingly... : ).

-Alamar

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 15:54 Nate

The beyond your standard MMO improvements take time. At least they are evolving the genre.  

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 15:30 Howin

It was supposed to enter beta in late 2009! They haven't released anything for GW in over 3 years which is clearly not ideal.

Guildwars Beyond has been running since they announced GW2. While its nothing major, its free and new content. A new story arc is about to start based around Factions.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 15:08 entr0py

Warskull wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 14:01:

Exactly. But lying about your progress to keep shareholders is always an easy choice.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2011, 20:12.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 14:20 Burrito of Peace

"Alpha testing" started last year.  

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 14:01 Warskull

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Testing This Year Feb 13, 2011, 13:27 Zadig

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo