Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak

The Crysis 2 Blog has an official reaction from Crytek to news that a pre-gold build of their upcoming shooter sequel Crysis 2 has leaked onto torrent sites:

Crytek has been alerted that an early incomplete, unfinished build of Crysis 2 has appeared on Torrent sites. Crytek and EA are deeply disappointed by the news. We encourage fans to support the game and the development team by waiting and purchasing the final, polished game on March 22. Crysis 2 is still in development and promises to be the ultimate action blockbuster as the series’ signature Nanosuit lets you be the weapon as you defend NYC from an alien invasion. Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community.

View
245 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

85. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 20:00 Prez

Yakubs wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:47:
Has anyone checked out footage of the leaked build?

Where is it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

84. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 20:00 space captain

cant take these "leaks" seriously anymore

there would be zero publicity if they were really concerned about stopping it

Go forth, and kill!

83. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:58 Suddenly_Dead

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:38:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 16:34:
And thereafter it was redistributed and downloaded solely by... internal persons?

... and the PC gaming community controls the Internet?

There is no way to control asshats on the Internet. So Blaming PC gamers for all those downloads is a load of BS... especially since a majority of them aren't legitimate purchasers to begin with... so the "translated lost sales" (for their own dumb ass mistake) is way WAY overblown.

And I have no idea what any of that has to do with what they've posted, or even the context of the post I was replying to.

82. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:57 reisub

I could make a joke about new games tending to be released in an alpha state these days but yes, it could well be close to final it seems.  

81. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:56 DarkCntry

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:54:
reisub wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:49:
I'm not sure you can judge everything too harshly when it's an alpha build. You may well be correct but still...

Uh... not sure how anyone can claim it's an "alpha build" when it's only a month away from release and came with the "master DRM" keys.

Sounds like it's more like a "post beta" / "release candidate" build, to me.

I dunno, RCs are still pretty buggy in most of my experiences...and hell, most RCs in games that I've dealt with aren't nearly as featured as the final, gold mastered, product.

Not saying that's the case here, but it could very well be a reason.

80. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:54 wtf_man

reisub wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:49:
I'm not sure you can judge everything too harshly when it's an alpha build. You may well be correct but still...

Uh... not sure how anyone can claim it's an "alpha build" when it's only a month away from release and came with the "master DRM" keys.

Sounds like it's more like a "post beta" / "release candidate" build, to me.

79. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:49 reisub

78. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:47 Yakubs

Has anyone checked out footage of the leaked build? It's a console game through-and-through. Graphics are worse than Crysis 1, the levels are linear, and you even stick to cover like a Gears rip-off. Oh, and when the game starts it says "Press start to begin."  

77. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:44 Wolfox

entr0py wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:22:
Wolfox wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:01:
Blaming piracy is legitimate in this case. Why? A leaked copy would not have the impact that it will have if not for the piracy "subculture". No one would have any interest in leaking a build if there was no way for people to download/play it (or no interest in doing so), isn't that right?

No, not at all. Even if piracy didn't exist, a leaked copy would still be eaten up. Most people who are interested enough to play an unfinished beta build are avid fans. They are people who are going to pick up the game anyway. Think of the excitement caused by the early leak of unfinished versions of Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. I would be willing to bet that most of the people who downloaded those ended up buying the games. Or think back to that Star Wars prequel that leaked early. Casual moviegoers were happy to wait for it to hit the theater; it was the obsessive types that were willing to put up with watching a crappy bootleg to see it a few days early. The same people who'd go on to watch it half a dozen times in the theater anyway.

I'm not saying this has the exact same effect as a polished demo. But the fact that it's sort of a forbidden insider look at a moment in development makes it even more appealing to hardcore fans. And completely unappealing to non-fanatics.

Way to miss my argument. The only way for a leaked copy to be "eaten up" is by piracy, by definition. But I digress.

If by "hardcore fans" you mean "people who will buy the game on release anyway regardless", I have no problems with that. After all, those people won't hurt the company/developer they're fans of. It's the people who see it and then say "ok, that was crap, I won't buy it" - and that would buy it otherwise - that represent the real damage.

Now, do you really think that most of the people downloading/playing this leaked copy are the "hardcore fans" you defined, that will buy the game regardless? If so, I have some very nice real estate for sale in the Moon, if you're interested.

76. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:44 reisub

That's a ridiculous argument. By the same logic, then, everyone in the world is a burglar, since you most likely lock the door to your house when going out?
They're not trying to stop burglars. They're trying to stop home owners from using the furniture they just bought in the way they choose.

but yeah, it may not be the most well thought out argument.

75. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:42 Prez

Creston nailed the gist of my feelings on post 1, so I'm just here to say to the "This is why no one makes PC games anymore!!!!" mouth-breather crowd: please STFU.

Thanks for listening.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

74. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:42 peteham

reisub wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:20:
They are obviously talking to the whole PC gaming community. If they didn't think we were all pirates they wouldn't use DRM.

What difference does this leak make? Pirates will pirate, the rest (hopefully still most) of us will, um...well, I'm not really interested in this game but if I was I'd buy it. :)
That's a ridiculous argument. By the same logic, then, everyone in the world is a burglar, since you most likely lock the door to your house when going out?

When it comes to DRM, I'm a believer in stopping 0-day piracy. Obviously, there's the fairly sizable group of people that are never going to buy anything as long as it can be picked up for free with near zero risk over ever getting caught.. But on the other hand, you have the people itching to play, who are going to pick the first venue of availability.. I can guarantee that having played through the game, regardless of the state it was in, is going to dampen a lot of people's desire to buy the finished product at release. Why buy it when you've already finished it, right?

73. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:41 Jerykk

Blaming piracy is legitimate in this case. Why? A leaked copy would not have the impact that it will have if not for the piracy "subculture". No one would have any interest in leaking a build if there was no way for people to download/play it (or no interest in doing so), isn't that right?

Piracy isn't the reason the game was leaked and if there was no leak, it wouldn't be on torrents. Let's be realistic here: the game was going to be pirated with or without an early leaked build. Both Crytek and EA were expecting that. However, they were not expecting a build to be leaked over a month before release. That's what they're concerned about right now, not piracy. Given the nature of the leak (build + DRM master keys + level editor), it's very likely that it came from within Crytek and that's definitely going to hurt their relationship with EA.

Naturally, neither EA or Crytek are going to come out and say "Yeah, we have pretty lousy security and are still trying to figure out how this got leaked." That would make them look bad. Piracy provides a much easier scapegoat. For one, it's illegal and many people automatically equate legality with morality. When people think something is inherently evil, that saves you the effort of trying to convince them. Pirates also don't have spokespeople, PR, legal teams or marketing to defend themselves.

72. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:31 DarkCntry

necrosis wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:18:
Funny. Back when consoles did not have hard drives games had to basically be perfect. Did that slow down games being made? No it didn't. Because if it did by now we would be seeing less games than back in 1995.

What we are seeing more of is games that are seriously broken at launch. FO3, FO:NV, GTA4, Witcher (fantastic game but it did have a rough release), GoW PC, BC2 PC, the list goes on and on. We should not have to worry about if a game will work when it is launched. Just if we will like it or not.

To boot there was more hacky, ground breaking hardware back in the late 90's. Which means even more chances of crap not working than today.

Are you really trying to compare the complexity of making a game now to making a game back in the 90s, and trying to use that as a basis to create an argument that game production and release wouldn't be slower if they kept the same type of mentality they did back then? Really?

Hell, I think 3DRealms would love you...

71. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:27 Tumbler

Someone steals your stuff, it's your fault for not locking it up better? You seriously don't think the fault lies with the person who stole it?

I was waiting for your comment!

HARTMAN
Jesus H. Christ! Private Pyle, why is your footlocker unlocked?

PYLE
Sir, I don't know, sir!

HARTMAN
Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is an unlocked footlocker! You know that, don't you?

PYLE
Sir, yes, sir!

HARTMAN
If it wasn't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?

PYLE
Sir, no, sir!

HARTMAN
Get down!

PYLE steps down, from the footlocker. HARTMAN flips open the lid with a bang and begins rummaging through the box.

HARTMAN
Well, now .. . let's just see if there's anything missing!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

70. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:20 reisub

They are obviously talking to the whole PC gaming community. If they didn't think we were all pirates they wouldn't use DRM.

What difference does this leak make? Pirates will pirate, the rest (hopefully still most) of us will, um...well, I'm not really interested in this game but if I was I'd buy it.

Funny. Back when consoles did not have hard drives games had to basically be perfect. Did that slow down games being made? No it didn't. Because if it did by now we would be seeing less games than back in 1995.
That is slightly unfair. Games are a tad more complex these days. Publishers obviously push them to release too soon though. People still buy buggy games, so why wouldn't they?

69. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:18 necrosis

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:31:
If games had to be 100% polished before going out the door there would be far fewer games made.

What we are seeing more of is games that are seriously broken at launch. FO3, FO:NV, GTA4, Witcher (fantastic game but it did have a rough release), GoW PC, BC2 PC, the list goes on and on. We should not have to worry about if a game will work when it is launched. Just if we will like it or not.

To boot there was more hacky, ground breaking hardware back in the late 90's. Which means even more chances of crap not working than today.

68. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:10 scorpius

yonder wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:55:
Tell you what. How bout I leave my car unlocked with my keys in the ingnition and the engine running. Then you take my car. We'll see who the court sides with.
What good is that argument, of course the justice system will honor anything if there is enough evidence. But most of the time there isn't, and that's why the situation demands that people and companies take proper measures. And the police/insurance/justice system will most likely tell you you've been incredibly stupid by leaving your car running with your keys still in the ignition.

67. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:58 wtf_man

yonder wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:55:
Tell you what. How bout I leave my car unlocked with my keys in the ingnition and the engine running. Then you take my car. We'll see who the court sides with.

And when he doesn't get caught, and you start whining about it, and blaming everyone else for the car being stolen... and people find out about you leaving your keys in the car and the ignition running...

...See how much sympathy you'll get.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2011, 19:08.

66. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:58 [VG]Reagle

Tough crap Crytek .... downloading now. Have fun going out of business well we fire up the P2P and play for free! On the bright side did you really think we weren't going to crack it anyway and put it up on P2P within 1 hour of it being released ?? SWEET DOWNLOAD COMPLETE  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

245 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo