Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II Gold

A Dragon Age II Live Developer Chat took place earlier today, and is now available for replay, featuring lead designer Mike Laidlaw discussing the upcoming action/RPG sequel. The event kicks off with Mike informing everyone that just minutes before the chat began the game was declared gold for all platforms and all territories, so it is on track for its release in North America on March 8 and in Europe on March 11. Thanks GameBanshee, where they offer a rough transcript of the chat.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 13, 2011, 01:44 Jerykk

I was talking about being able to send my rogue ahead to see exactly where enemies were and setup traps accordingly and prepare my party for an encounter. I like to play that way and I hope that option doesn't go away.

You can still control individual party members so I assume that you can still use rogues to scout ahead. There was mention of trap disarming under the Cunning description, so I'm pretty sure there are still traps to be disarmed. Now, whether or not you can set up traps yourself is another question entirely.

As for other classes not being able open chests, that's kind of the point. If every class can do the same things, what's the point in having different classes? Lockpicking, pickpocketing, sneaking, backstabbing, trap detection/arming/disarming and persuasion are typically rogue skills because rogues try to avoid direct confrontation and rely on stealth and subterfuge to achieve their goals.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 23:27 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 16:16:
entr0py wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 15:54:
Personally I hated that in DA:O I HAD to always have a rogue around for unlocking stuff. Even old school D&D gave you alternative ways to open things and detecting traps.
You did? I didn't, I just grabbed a mod that came out about 3 days after release that allowed mages to use arcane focus(money as a reagent to pop them), or warriors hmm(bravery maybe?) that allowed you to pop chests. Plus there was a 'smash chest' mod for warriors, which also gave you a chance to break the item inside.

Then again if you're playing on a console, you have no one to blame but yourself for being locked into a piece of shit that you can't mod.

Hahahaha, you tell it like it is.

I downloaded a mod that gave you an "Open Lock" series of spells. Worked just fine too, though the inability to see traps was annoying (especially since you miss out on all the XP, which does sort of add up.)

I just bring rogues because they kick ass. Three dual-wielding rogues plus one mage who does nothing but stun people is brutal murderdeathkill.

Creston

28. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 21:39 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:28:
Of course, I suspect it will be akin to the ME 2 version of infiltrator cloaking(just the pessimist in me), and have no other gameplay value apart from direct combat.

To be fair, you couldn't exactly sneak your way through DAO either. DAO was a very combat-centric RPG, much like Baldur's Gate.

I'm not wanting to sneak my way through the game. I don't even think it was possible to make an entire party of rogues in the first game.

I was talking about being able to send my rogue ahead to see exactly where enemies were and setup traps accordingly and prepare my party for an encounter. I like to play that way and I hope that option doesn't go away.

27. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 19:28 Jerykk

Of course, I suspect it will be akin to the ME 2 version of infiltrator cloaking(just the pessimist in me), and have no other gameplay value apart from direct combat.

To be fair, you couldn't exactly sneak your way through DAO either. DAO was a very combat-centric RPG, much like Baldur's Gate.

26. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 19:08 Slashman

Slashman wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 12:53:
And apparently they have removed the social skills like persuasion and pick pocketing...as I didn't see any of them on the skill screen in the gameplay vids. . .

One more thing. In the gameplay vids...did you see them send the rogue ahead to scout for traps and enemies like it made sense to do in DA:O? I'm guessing that's because traps have probably been removed from dungeon areas in favor of just bludgeoning your way through with your group. Very RPGish...

Those are all the classic rogue skills. Could it just be they weren't playing a rogue in the walkthrough? Rogue is still one of the classes you can make your main character. It's hard to imagine they would make a rogue that can't stealth, detect traps, unlock things, pickpocket, or have cunning dialogue choices. Maybe they won't include every one of those skills, but I'd be willing to bet most are in.

But there's not really any reason to think they've gimped rogues from a few videos. Keep in mind many players just use them as archers, or don't bring them at all. Personally I hated that in DA:O I HAD to always have a rogue around for unlocking stuff. Even old school D&D gave you alternative ways to open things and detecting traps.

PS People have noticed stealth and backstab in videos and screen-shots already. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5668812

I did know that backstab was still in the game. Apparently it is now an instant skill that doesn't require you to position your rogue behind the enemy. It would make sense that stealth would still be in the game in some form. Of course, I suspect it will be akin to the ME 2 version of infiltrator cloaking(just the pessimist in me), and have no other gameplay value apart from direct combat.

I'd really like to believe that the game is nowhere near as dumbed down as I'm thinking it will be. Maybe Bioware are doing the same horrible marketing thing that they did with the original. Still...I'm not very confident that I'm wrong.

25. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 16:16 Mashiki Amiketo

Personally I hated that in DA:O I HAD to always have a rogue around for unlocking stuff. Even old school D&D gave you alternative ways to open things and detecting traps.
You did? I didn't, I just grabbed a mod that came out about 3 days after release that allowed mages to use arcane focus(money as a reagent to pop them), or warriors hmm(bravery maybe?) that allowed you to pop chests. Plus there was a 'smash chest' mod for warriors, which also gave you a chance to break the item inside.

Then again if you're playing on a console, you have no one to blame but yourself for being locked into a piece of shit that you can't mod.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 15:54 entr0py

And apparently they have removed the social skills like persuasion and pick pocketing...as I didn't see any of them on the skill screen in the gameplay vids. . .

One more thing. In the gameplay vids...did you see them send the rogue ahead to scout for traps and enemies like it made sense to do in DA:O? I'm guessing that's because traps have probably been removed from dungeon areas in favor of just bludgeoning your way through with your group. Very RPGish...

Those are all the classic rogue skills. Could it just be they weren't playing a rogue in the walkthrough? Rogue is still one of the classes you can make your main character. It's hard to imagine they would make a rogue that can't stealth, detect traps, unlock things, pickpocket, or have cunning dialogue choices. Maybe they won't include every one of those skills, but I'd be willing to bet most are in.

But there's not really any reason to think they've gimped rogues from a few videos. Keep in mind many players just use them as archers, or don't bring them at all. Personally I hated that in DA:O I HAD to always have a rogue around for unlocking stuff. Even old school D&D gave you alternative ways to open things and detecting traps.

PS People have noticed stealth and backstab in videos and screen-shots already. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5668812

23. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 15:21 Creston

I have no doubt I'll pick it up, I'm just debating on whether to wait for the "everything combined" edition. All in all, I probably spent 130 bucks or so on all the stuff for DA:O, and it kind of annoys me to see that GOTY edition with all of it in it for 40 bucks.

Still kudos to them for releasing a demo BEFORE the game launches.

Creston

22. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 15:14 necrosis

Here's the thing. We already have a Mass Effect. And don't get me wrong...I love Mass Effect 1 and 2. I think that series pretty much stands on its own as more than decent.

What I didn't need, was a fantasy version of ME 2. ME 3 is around the corner.
This. I finally saw actual gameplay video of DA2 and its interactions.

Dragon Effect 2

21. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 15:10 necrosis

Bucky wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 08:43:
It's funny, but I'm consistently surprised by all the hate for DA2. From everything I've seen it looks like they made the combat better, while also going for a higher level of immersion; though admittedly that will remove some of the gameplay and control elements from the first game.

No matter though, my preorder was in long ago. I can't wait for this one.
I'm surprised at all the hate here for DA:O.

20. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 14:41 space captain

Kastagir wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 13:34:
a console-centric dumbed down approach to make the genre more "accessible."

If 2011 proves to be the last viable year for Bioware, then I say "good riddance."

when has a console-centric dumbed down approach ever made a game company less "viable"? thats the whole point of dumbing it down, to appeal to the majority - that massive flock of sheep that mindlessly gobble up whatever is supposed to be the coolest new thing because somebody important said so

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 13:36 Suddenly_Dead

I really like ME2, but I agree with Slashman. DA:O was nice precisely because it was an oldschool-style CRPG. More diversity is a good thing. That said, I will almost undoubtedly pick this up at some point, I might just wait until it's on sale.  

18. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 13:34 Kastagir

First game had potential but was abandoned by the developer. Expansion was a bug-infested nightmare that remains problematic from technical and challenge standpoints. Support and communication have proven to be Bioware's weak points and any potential DA had to be a "Baldur's Gate successor" was lost long ago. Now it has even lost its capability to be memorable on its own merits because it is broken and unsupported by the developer, and the sequel seems by all accounts to be a console-centric dumbed down approach to make the genre more "accessible."

If 2011 proves to be the last viable year for Bioware, then I say "good riddance."

17. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 13:11 Bucky

Here's the thing. We already have a Mass Effect. And don't get me wrong...I love Mass Effect 1 and 2. I think that series pretty much stands on its own as more than decent.

DA:O was a good game and did well for itself as a classic RPG. I don't much mind some combat improvements(pacing changes).

I do mind not being able to choose race. Not being able to fully customize my entire party with weapons and armor. And apparently they have removed the social skills like persuasion and pick pocketing...as I didn't see any of them on the skill screen in the gameplay vids.

All in an effort to emulate ME2. Why make the same damn game twice? What is wrong with having diversity in your games. I want to play ME3...I don't want to play it twice with one playthrough being in a fantasy setting and exactly 3 moral options for every dilemma I encounter.

I hope that clears up some of what have made people unhappy with what has been seen of the game?

Those are fair points, and rather hard to argue against without having DA2 available to play. I tend to be more optimistic about games than most of the Blue's crowd, and I've never had a deep love for the more traditional RPG games. Hack-n-Slash and Action RPGs have always been more fun for me, which undoubtedly colors my view of the changes to DA2.

I do appreciate your response though; I hadn't considered it from all of the angles you presented. It also helps to have a clear and concise response, since gamers tend to rant a bit when they don't like things.

16. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 12:53 Slashman

Bucky wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 08:43:
It's funny, but I'm consistently surprised by all the hate for DA2. From everything I've seen it looks like they made the combat better, while also going for a higher level of immersion; though admittedly that will remove some of the gameplay and control elements from the first game.

DA:O was a good game and did well for itself as a classic RPG. I don't much mind some combat improvements(pacing changes).

I do mind not being able to choose race. Not being able to fully customize my entire party with weapons and armor. And apparently they have removed the social skills like persuasion and pick pocketing...as I didn't see any of them on the skill screen in the gameplay vids.

All in an effort to emulate ME2. Why make the same damn game twice? What is wrong with having diversity in your games. I want to play ME3...I don't want to play it twice with one playthrough being in a fantasy setting and exactly 3 moral options for every dilemma I encounter.

I hope that clears up some of what have made people unhappy with what has been seen of the game?

15. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 10:41 Bumpy

Need to dumb down my wallet accordingly with the game....$15 seems about right time to buy.

Edit: Perhaps demo will change my opinion but not counting any chickens by any means.

14. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 09:11 Dades

RIP Bioware. I'll miss the days of actual RPG experiences instead of hot rodded action game clones.  

13. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 08:43 Bucky

12. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 08:21 MattyB

Already reviewed by PC Gamer, giving 94%

"The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming's best story, but maybe it's best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better "

11. Re: Dragon Age 2 Gold Feb 12, 2011, 06:47 Ray Marden

Yeah, I hope it ends up being a good game so I will end up having something nice to play when the GotY edition comes out in a year.

Otherwise, I have no intention of buying this game during the initial release. I forgave a number of the shortcomings of the first game because it was - literally - the origin of my character...which BioWare just shrugged at and immediately disregarded for this game. Additionally, requiring a two month preorder just to have a more complete game speeks to the sheer greed of the company. They were already planning on cutting out half the game to sell it back to you via DLC, but that wasn't enough for them - their business plan actively promoted screwing over day one purchasers.

Thanks, but no thanks. GotY or nothing at this point.
And if it isn't amazing, even more shame on them.
Stuck waiting on Intel to push out the revised SB motherboards ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo