Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked?

A story on Rock, Paper, Shotgun that's been picked up in many other places, states that a near-final build of Crysis 2 has been leaked onto torrent sites, saying this also includes a "master key for the online authentication" of the game.

View
95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

55. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 10:27 ASeven

Hump wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 10:20:
AnointedSword wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 07:17:
A joke...Morals went down the tubes...Some day you guys will face the truth and when you do...you will remember my words!:) With that said, I hear people complaining that the devs and security are at fault instead of the individual that leaked it? What a dumb thing to say.

OK, taking the game (or song, or movie) is "immoral"......now what? Do you think several hundred thousand people are going to suddenly feel guilty and delete it from their HD's? The media company uses a draconian form of DRM which 1.) does nothing to stop people from pirating 2.) fucks up the ability of those who honestly bought to take their media and use it wherever they want. Tell me how THAT scenario, which plays out on a daily basis, is helping the issue?

With the exception of a handful of deluded kids, no one is claiming that the creators shouldnt make money off their creations. The problem is that distribution models have changed. Publishers are now excess baggage but want to continue to be overpaid middlemen by distributing plastic discs which are no longer needed. Valve saw this coming long ago. You'll notice they don't waste time by worrying that a bunch of prates have downloaded their game since the vast majority of those people wouldn't have come up with the cash to buy it anyway. Instead they focus on serving the needs of their customers. When companies start getting it through their heads that one downloaded copy DOES NOT automatically mean a lost sale theyll be able to move on. For now they run to daddy government and attempt to have laws enacted to protect a dying business model. People like yourself get sucked into their propaganda that we are headed into a world where no one will want to create anything. The fact is, the net has enabled a far larger amount of artists to create and distribute than ever before for next to nothing.

+1000000

This man has the best post on this thread.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 10:20 Hump

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 07:17:
A joke...Morals went down the tubes...Some day you guys will face the truth and when you do...you will remember my words!:) With that said, I hear people complaining that the devs and security are at fault instead of the individual that leaked it? What a dumb thing to say.

OK, taking the game (or song, or movie) is "immoral"......now what? Do you think several hundred thousand people are going to suddenly feel guilty and delete it from their HD's? The media company uses a draconian form of DRM which 1.) does nothing to stop people from pirating 2.) fucks up the ability of those who honestly bought to take their media and use it wherever they want. Tell me how THAT scenario, which plays out on a daily basis, is helping the issue?

With the exception of a handful of deluded kids, no one is claiming that the creators shouldnt make money off their creations. The problem is that distribution models have changed. Publishers are now excess baggage but want to continue to be overpaid middlemen by distributing plastic discs which are no longer needed. Valve saw this coming long ago. You'll notice they don't waste time by worrying that a bunch of prates have downloaded their game since the vast majority of those people wouldn't have come up with the cash to buy it anyway. Instead they focus on serving the needs of their customers. When companies start getting it through their heads that one downloaded copy DOES NOT automatically mean a lost sale theyll be able to move on. For now they run to daddy government and attempt to have laws enacted to protect a dying business model. People like yourself get sucked into their propaganda that we are headed into a world where no one will want to create anything. The fact is, the net has enabled a far larger amount of artists to create and distribute than ever before for next to nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

53. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 08:47 SpectralMeat

youtube is getting populated with a bunch of gameplay footage from the SP. I can't believe people on the PC play this game with a gamepad WTF?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

52. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 08:31 Nick W

I bet they leaked it on purpose so they could have a scapegoat for lackluster sales of their tech demo, I mean game.  

51. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 07:38 ASeven

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 07:32:
So wait... some people are saying the source code leaked. Is that true?

Wait, what? Where did you read this? I've heard the 360 version also got leaked but nothing about the source code, only the DRM master key and the modtools that came along with the leak.

50. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 07:32 StingingVelvet

So wait... some people are saying the source code leaked. Is that true?  

49. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 07:17 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

48. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 07:09 ASeven

spindoctor wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 04:01:
If anyone thinks this can't happen, take a moment to remember what happened to Iron Lore.

They went indie, are making Grim Dawn and are quite happy to have left the industry.

Don't make any mistakes, I hate this leak has happened, and the fallout won't be good. Placing the blame on the PC community, however, is retarded and wrong, we didn't go to their offices and stole the code. However there is one thing we can do, we can all buy Crysis 2, if it's a good game, and hope that Crysis 2 on the PC sells more than the original, much more. If that happens, Crytek won't be able to cry piracy much, despite the leak. Besides, STALKER and HL2 had early leaks and they sold millions each.

47. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 06:54 Golwar

I don't approve the leak, I don't approve pirating the game. But I also don't approve Crysis 2, I'll rather buy Killzone 3 and Homefront.  

46. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 05:28 yuastnav

[...]
Saying that this is their fault
[...]

Well, whose fault do you think it is?

[...]
And that they can't see how this kind of thing will affect the industry's views on PC gaming.

Then I can say: Good riddance; if that's what it takes to sort out the garbage to get some good games.

ASeven wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 05:28:
[...]
Still, I can see Crytek crying piracy regardless of how well Crysis 2 sells or not and leaving the PC market entirely. A shame.

:/
Not really. While Far Cry was kind of enjoyable Crysis was just boring as hell and the multiplayer was broken. I will not judge Crysis 2, yet, but from the videos I've seen it doesn't look that interesting either.

45. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 05:28 ASeven

What I'm not liking on this is that Crytek and EA are blaming PC gamers for the leak. It's not PC gamer's the leak happened, it's Crytek's and their shitty internal security.

Regardless of how bad piracy is, blaming this on PC gamers is retarded, they weren't the ones who leaked.

Still, I can see Crytek crying piracy regardless of how well Crysis 2 sells or not and leaving the PC market entirely. A shame.

44. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 04:22 Jerykk

Uh, Titan Quest got a reputation for being buggy and unstable because the final game was buggy and unstable. Refer to this patch changelist for evidence: Patch changelist

Nobody is going to care that an obviously unfinished Crysis 2 build is buggy. Nobody is expecting otherwise. It is very clearly an unfinished build. Titan Quest was unfinished as well, but they went ahead and sold it as a finished game anyway, hence the poor reception.

43. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 04:01 spindoctor

durandal wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 03:14:
To make matters worse the release date is still 3 months ahead... by that time this game lose it's freshness and appeal, since there will be tons of spoilers and reviews everywhere and the retail is going to be just the bug-fixed version of this pirated one.

The game is 6 weeks away but yes, the impact will still be felt. People will form impressions of the game from this incomplete build, and they will propagate those impressions on the internet too. If there are crashes or bugs, the message that spreads around will not be that "hey, the unfinished, incomplete beta leaked version of Crysis 2 has tons of bugs and crashes"... it will be, "hey, Crysis 2 has tons of bugs and crashes". If anyone thinks this can't happen, take a moment to remember what happened to Iron Lore.

DangerDog wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 03:28:
It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Crytek doesn't release the editor for the final version, will people feel entitled to it just because it's here in the leaked beta?

I think they've said that they will be releasing the editor. Who knows how fully featured it will be, but you're right, they would probably lock down some parts to protect DLC sales. The other thing that I believe this beta has is a functional LAN multiplayer component. Something the final game will not have. It's unfortunate that even features that are implemented in dev builds are removed from final games

On the whole though, I am surprised by the number of people here who think this leak is okay. Saying that this is their fault, that they deserved it, that it doesn't matter. And that they can't see how this kind of thing will affect the industry's views on PC gaming.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

42. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 03:44 Jerykk

People with anonymity tends not to buy things that you can get for free, especially it's safe and easy to do so.

This is true. However, there's a pretty big hole in your logic. Everyone has access to the internet and the anonymity it provides. These same people have access to the torrents that provide this leak and inevitably the full retail game. If someone downloads the leak now, there's a fairly good chance that they were going to download the full retail game anyway. And if they weren't going to pay for the game in the first place, this leak doesn't change that.

Your reasoning assumes that the people downloading the leaked build would have otherwise purchased the full game had a free version not been available. Except a free version of any game is almost always available within the first few days of a game's release anyway. If someone really wants free games, they're going to get them for free regardless of whether it's a month early or a day late.

41. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 03:30 durandal

No I cannot prove it but it's a goddamn common sense. People with anonymity tends not to buy things that you can get for free, especially when it's safe and easy to do so.

The leaked HL2 was nowhere near close to the finished version so you cannot use it for an example. It was like a tech-demo of some different game. This time it has everything the final version has.

The game will sell a lot no doubt. but I think they lost good chunk of potential profit from this mess.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2011, 04:08.

40. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 03:28 DangerDog

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Crytek doesn't release the editor for the final version, will people feel entitled to it just because it's here in the leaked beta?

I know for a fact that even if they did release the editor they wouldn't have allowed people to open the games single player maps with it - they removed that ability from warhead completely, only the included multiplayer maps could be opened in the editor.

I don't understand the DRM release bit, is there actual source code in the files that would enable hackers to create a key gen to unlock multiplay?

I imagine there's some loud shouting going on in the offices at Crytek and EA right about now.

39. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 03:19 Kajetan

durandal wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 03:14:
Yes, we know pirates =/= lost sale but assuming this game is Single-player centric like the first one (I guess it is, since they just announced it takes roughly 10 hours to finish.), I'd say the damage to the sale is pretty serious.
Can you prove that?

To make matters worse the release date is still 3 months ahead... by that time this game lose it's freshness and appeal, since there will be tons of spoilers and reviews everywhere and the retail is going to be just the bug-fixed version of this pirated one.
As i remember (i am sure you can too), the early leak of HL2 didnt prevent Valve from making TONS OF DOLLARS from this game. And HL2 was a single player game without any multiplayer components. Even the multitude of Counterstrike private servers havent prevented Counter-Strike from becoming a major commercial sucess.

Piracy is not a threat!

38. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 03:14 durandal

Yes, we know pirates =/= lost sale but assuming this game is Single-player centric like the first one (I guess it is, since they just announced it takes roughly 10 hours to finish.), I'd say the damage to the sale is pretty serious. The games like Starcraft 2, CoD are another story because the majority of potential customers would still buy them for Multi-player and the community(better match making, greater number of servers, RL friends), even though there is pirated version available.

37. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 02:32 Kajetan

Concerning *huahhhh* piracy, Crytek, EA and some hysterical posters on Bluesnews and elsewhere should ask Cory Doctorow or Neil Gaiman, who put their own books for free online, what happened after they did it:

Increased sales up to 300%!!!

Piracy my ass, when you start bitching about it, at least give us a proof (!) that piracy is harmful.

36. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 02:21 Prez

Meh - this is a non-story. Just give me the game; I'm not in the mood for the soap opera drama - had more than enough of that waiting for Half-Life 2 to be released.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo