Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked?

A story on Rock, Paper, Shotgun that's been picked up in many other places, states that a near-final build of Crysis 2 has been leaked onto torrent sites, saying this also includes a "master key for the online authentication" of the game.

View
95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

95. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 15, 2011, 09:29 Verno

And nor can I imagine a world where subscription-based gaming deleted games

The industry already discontinues multiplayer segments of games to force people to upgrade to the latest version and they do it under false pretenses of server expenditures. It's not exactly a leap to see it taking place. I find it hard to believe you of all people have seemingly forgotten how commercialized and ruthless the industry is these days.

I'd be more surprised if this never happened.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 15, 2011, 07:31 Beamer

Hell, I couldn't imagine a world where I couldn't play some X-Com at least once a year.

Nor could I.

And nor can I imagine a world where subscription-based gaming deleted games. Hell, Netflix On-Demand is almost exclusively ancient movies.

And yeah, I know, someone will point out that 3 or 4 XBLA games have disappeared, but I think we can pretty well chalk that up to console limitations, no?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

93. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 15, 2011, 02:01 Prez

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 08:21:
Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:22:
hadn't even considered that netflix model for games...be neat to see.

I expect it to go over poorly with a few people here. Some here are very hung up on "ownership." Most of them won't care too much with a subscription model, that's very different than Steam and OnLive in which you're paying for something specifically (and where the ownership complaints come in), but I think one or two will still be hung up on it, and a few more will constantly question whether or not some of their games will eventually disappear.

Yes, us irrational bastards who play 20 year old games all the time and want to make sure the games we pay good money for today can be played 20 years from now too.

What idiots we are.

Hell, I couldn't imagine a world where I couldn't play some X-Com at least once a year. I expect that in 20 years I'll still be playing Rome Total War at least a month out of each year.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

92. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 15, 2011, 01:59 Prez

ASeven wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 10:27:
Hump wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 10:20:
AnointedSword wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 07:17:
A joke...Morals went down the tubes...Some day you guys will face the truth and when you do...you will remember my words!:) With that said, I hear people complaining that the devs and security are at fault instead of the individual that leaked it? What a dumb thing to say.

OK, taking the game (or song, or movie) is "immoral"......now what? Do you think several hundred thousand people are going to suddenly feel guilty and delete it from their HD's? The media company uses a draconian form of DRM which 1.) does nothing to stop people from pirating 2.) fucks up the ability of those who honestly bought to take their media and use it wherever they want. Tell me how THAT scenario, which plays out on a daily basis, is helping the issue?

With the exception of a handful of deluded kids, no one is claiming that the creators shouldnt make money off their creations. The problem is that distribution models have changed. Publishers are now excess baggage but want to continue to be overpaid middlemen by distributing plastic discs which are no longer needed. Valve saw this coming long ago. You'll notice they don't waste time by worrying that a bunch of prates have downloaded their game since the vast majority of those people wouldn't have come up with the cash to buy it anyway. Instead they focus on serving the needs of their customers. When companies start getting it through their heads that one downloaded copy DOES NOT automatically mean a lost sale theyll be able to move on. For now they run to daddy government and attempt to have laws enacted to protect a dying business model. People like yourself get sucked into their propaganda that we are headed into a world where no one will want to create anything. The fact is, the net has enabled a far larger amount of artists to create and distribute than ever before for next to nothing.

+1000000

This man has the best post on this thread.

Seconded. Said it better than I ever could have. BRAVO!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

91. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 14, 2011, 08:22 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 13:45:
This is why music has gone to "downloading / selling single songs" instead of ramming a crappy album down your throat that has 2-3 good songs and 7+ crap songs.

If you only like a couple songs on the album then you are listening to shitty music.

90. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 14, 2011, 08:21 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:22:

I expect it to go over poorly with a few people here. Some here are very hung up on "ownership." Most of them won't care too much with a subscription model, that's very different than Steam and OnLive in which you're paying for something specifically (and where the ownership complaints come in), but I think one or two will still be hung up on it, and a few more will constantly question whether or not some of their games will eventually disappear.

Yes, us irrational bastards who play 20 year old games all the time and want to make sure the games we pay good money for today can be played 20 years from now too.

What idiots we are.

89. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 13, 2011, 19:53 Dades

Most of the gaming market is hung up on ownership, it's not a minority around this forum or something. Digital distribution is a small market by comparison. Speaking as a gamer, I like the idea that I buy a game, not some nebulous piece of it. If they want to rent me games then the prices of games will need to drop significantly.  

88. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 18:22 Beamer

-------------

87. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 18:06 sfhand

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I will say that I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for this developer. They now have the same excuse (piracy) as the last time they released a game and refused to support it (Crysis - bad net code)in order to sell the fixed version (Crysis Warhead). Personally, I don't care if they never release another pc game.  

86. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 15:19 necrosis

DangerDog wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 14:17:
No way to return games, Needing game demos etc...

This is going to be resolved with new services that stream games over the internet through your browser, no need to download, no need to install. You get to play the game for a few minutes and if you like it you can buy it either through the streaming service or elsewhere.

Via streaming services you won't need to worry about hardware requirements (or Operating Systems for that mater) but you will need a fast internet connection.
In turn you get shitty dumbed down games (because they have to stream) that you never, ever own. If the service goes down your fucked.

I also doubt they will charge you less for what your loosing. Look at On Live. Games you will never own you still have to pay FULL RETAIL for. Its not that different from steam but at least there you "physically" get the game and can back it up.

All this 'cloud computing' is a load of shit for products. No one ever owns them.

85. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 15:07 Innocent

one of the best and most intelligent debates i've ever enjoyed on blues. hadn't even considered that netflix model for games...be neat to see.  

84. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 15:01 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 14:49:
We're going to be subscribing to all-you-can-play networks.

Well... that's not a bad thing, IMO. Netflix has proven the model with Movies.

I just don't see this happening anytime soon, due to latency. On-Live being a good example (if they stick with the Netflix style all-you-can-play model).

The speed has to be there, though... and I don't think I'll be seeing FIOS to my house anytime soon.

83. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 14:49 Beamer

They make more money because people can pick and choose what they want instead of having to buy whole albums. They hear songs on the radio, like them... listen to maybe a few other songs on the same album... and decide to purchase what they only like. So, yes, the price is hiked for that... but being able to pick and choose is what is driving the sales. You can call that "impulse" buying if you want... but the point is that the consumer is more in control, with that business model, and that is why it works, IMO.

But your logic doesn't hold. If it was just that they could pick and choose it'd result in less, as they'd only go for the singles. It's more that they can impulse buy. Everyone has $.99 to spare at any given time. Add in the fact that it goes to the credit card, not out of your pocket, and everyone always thinks another $.99 is no big deal. People have less idea of how much they're actually spending and end up spending much, much more. Like, often an order of magnitude more. Record labels love it for this reason. Giving you more choice has zero to do with their reasoning, getting more money from you is everything. Consumers like it because they think they have more choice and are being smarter, more responsible consumers and have no clue that they're spending so much more.

Look, At least with movies you can rent them first to figure out if you want to buy them and add to your collection.

Those tend to be substitutes. People usually either rent a movie or buy a movie. That's part of why the $9.99 price point was so huge for DVDs. You could rent a movie, or pay twice as much and buy it. Another way they fooled people into paying more, as most DVDs are watched once. I'm kind of their favorite consumer here, as I think a fair estimate of my DVD collection is 60% still in shrinkwrap.

Or.. the other solution would be only 25% of it will download

That's just a demo, then. And it's not very feasible. Breaking games up isn't terribly easy anymore. It's actually very labor and cost intensive.

Again, though, the biggest reason for games being unreturnable is B&M issues combined with the lack of ability to tell who is gaming the system. Yes, Steam could solve many of these issues, but it's a short-sighted view. We're not going to be buying games too much longer. We're going to be subscribing to all-you-can-play networks.

-------------

82. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 14:40 Beamer

This is going to be resolved with new services that stream games over the internet through your browser, no need to download, no need to install. You get to play the game for a few minutes and if you like it you can buy it either through the streaming service or elsewhere.

More likely a Netflix on Demand model. Subscription-based access so you never, ever own anything. It's done decently with music but has killed with movies. Video games fall somewhere between the two on the longevity scale.

Of course, music and movies cost about as much as a DVD per month. I'd expect video games to be similar: $30-$60 per month all you can play. It'd be interesting to see how revenues are handled. Does the money get split on a per-hour-in-game basis? That may be bad, as every game would turn into an unnecessarily long sandbox game. Or do services bid for titles? Will they all get all? I don't actually know how Netflix does any of this, but would love to investigate.

-------------

81. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 14:26 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 14:08:
Hardly. It was done because it makes people spend more. At $9.99-$16.99 albums aren't exactly an impulse purchase. At $.99 they are. So people are spending more money, much more in fact, but spending it in smaller chunks. Absolutely no part of this pricing decision was "oh, consumers prefer this" it was instead "oh, we get more money from people this way!"

They make more money because people can pick and choose what they want instead of having to buy whole albums. They hear songs on the radio, like them... listen to maybe a few other songs on the same album... and decide to purchase what they only like. So, yes, the price is hiked for that... but being able to pick and choose is what is driving the sales. You can call that "impulse" buying if you want... but the point is that the consumer is more in control, with that business model, and that is why it works, IMO.

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 14:08:
Why is software non-returnable? Because it gets installed. There's no way to tell who installed it and brought it back to get a free version. ...

Look, At least with movies you can rent them first to figure out if you want to buy them and add to your collection.

As for metering usage in a game... I think it can be done... but it has to be designed into the executables.

Or.. the other solution would be only 25% of it will download (and work (can't use someone else's install to complete the game)). Once you reach 25% of the game... you are given the option to download the rest (obviously all tied to your steam account and game serial numbers). Now if you want to avoid having to download the "rest of the game" in the middle of playing... you can opt-out of "the game being refundable" and download the whole thing up front, if you wish.

I think there are several approaches they could use to implement such things. The bottom line is they have to adjust to a more consumer friendly model, because the more they tighten their grip... the more systems customers slip through their fingers.

80. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 14:17 DangerDog

No way to return games, Needing game demos etc...

Via streaming services you won't need to worry about hardware requirements (or Operating Systems for that mater) but you will need a fast internet connection.

79. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 14:08 Beamer

This is why music has gone to "downloading / selling single songs" instead of ramming a crappy album down your throat that has 2-3 good songs and 7+ crap songs.

You think that's why?
Really? You think this was done for consumer benefit?

Hardly. It was done because it makes people spend more. At $9.99-$16.99 albums aren't exactly an impulse purchase. At $.99 they are. So people are spending more money, much more in fact, but spending it in smaller chunks. Absolutely no part of this pricing decision was "oh, consumers prefer this" it was instead "oh, we get more money from people this way!"

Why is software non-returnable? Because it gets installed. There's no way to tell who installed it and brought it back to get a free version. Contrary to popular belief developers aren't hugely concerned by this. B&M places are. It's a huge hassle for them. Steam may some day fix this, as not only is it not much of a hassle, they can also track your usage. As the other fear is that someone buys a game, plays the shit out of it and returns it when they finish Steam can prevent this. It tracks how long you play, so if you use it for more than, say, an hour, you can't return it.

Of course, this gets into the whole hassle of when someone should be able to return. Let's say I buy Mass Effect 2 and play the whole thing but hate it. Sure, I put 40 hours into it, but it didn't meet my satisfaction level. Maybe I expected it to be longer, maybe I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. Should I be able to return it still? I totally consumed it already. What if it was MW2 and I totally consumed it in 6 hours and I'm annoyed. Should I still be able to return it even though I played the whole thing? How long do I have to return? If I buy it today can I return it 2 weeks from now? 2 months from now? A year from now? What if the price has fallen in that time, as software tends to very rapidly?

Have you ever worked at a restaurant? If someone didn't like their meal, what did you do? What if they didn't mention not liking it until they'd finished? Does it matter that, with a restaurant, you can tell if they finish but can't with a video game?

And why do people think this is exclusive to the video game industry? Most industries don't let you return something opened. Cut the tags off your clothing? You're going to have trouble returning it. Got some wear on the bottom of your shoes? They're not going back anymore. Opened that DVD? It's yours now. Opened that digital camera? Well, it may go back, but only with a 20% restocking fee as it now needs to be sold as an opened box. Opened the shrink wrap of your game? More or less the same. Only difference is at least stores have a better idea of whether you're returning in good faith when a physical product comes back to them.

As you can see, there are a lot of questions about returns, and each question involves a subjective judgment call and opens itself up very well to a lot of people gaming the system. The policy would also result in prices going up to compensate for this.

-------------

78. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 13:45 wtf_man

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 13:27:
For a full refund? No restocking fee or any other fee deducted? I don't think so.
Regardless I mostly talked about the media, software, games, music, movies etc. I don't think you can return any of that stuff ones the package is open.

Even if there was a 10%-12% "restocking fee"... that would be better than nothing.

If you buy something, and it doesn't meet your satisfaction... you should be able to return it, period. The point is... the whole business model is fucked.

I'd settle for something like download the game from steam... and if you want a refund before playing 25% of it (metered somehow or only 25% is downloaded until refund percentage is passed)... you can get one, and the steam client disables the game (so you can't run a steam version backup), and gives you the option to delete the files of the disabled game. (Who knows... maybe you'll consider re-purchasing after some patches, hardware upgrades, or a sale).

That would, at least, hold Developers and Publishers somewhat accountable for a complete product.

This also solves the problem of not getting demos. Yeah your paying for the demo... but at least you can get your money back if you don't like it, or if it runs like shit. As for a "restocking fee" for a system like this...something small like maybe 2% for Steam's paperwork processing and bandwidth usage (Since this is digitally controlled).

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2011, 13:57.

77. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 13:39 SpectralMeat

Where do you buy your hardware from, I am just curious. I shop from 3-4 different retailers some online only some has local stores and there is a fee associated with a return in all of them. For instance headphones are not returnable at all ones opened.
Places I shop for computer hardware:
NCIX
Canada Computers
Newegg
Amazon

Steam: SpectralMeat

76. Re: Crysis 2 Crisis: Game and Key Leaked? Feb 12, 2011, 13:29 CythrawL

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 13:27:
For a full refund? No restocking fee or any other fee deducted? I don't think so.
Regardless I mostly talked about the media, software, games, music, movies etc. I don't think you can return any of that stuff ones the package is open.

You obviously shop at the wrong places, Most I have to pay is a return shipping fee, if the store was not local. but yeah media no return usually

95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo