Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, "Surprise" Plans

The Magicka interview on Big Download chats up Paradox producer Mattias Lilja about Magicka after learning that in spite of a buggy launch Arrowhead Game's action/adventure has sold over 200,000 copies in just 17 days. The conversation compares the pace of the game's sales to other Paradox games, reasons for this success, their ongoing patch releases (the latest of which was earlier today), plans to support the game with both free and paid DLC, and more. Paradox also sends word that they plan on unveiling a "surprise" about Magicka at this year's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco at the end of this month, coyly adding "it is not what you think it is."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 16:05 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 03:47:
Any links to the source for that Steam figure? 40% seems pretty hefty, considering that Valve doesn't have to pay for physical shelf space and digital storage is extremely cheap.
Actually I always figured it was closer to 50%.
Storage isn't the biggest expense for valve. There's the credit card processing fees (tends to be 3%-5%), and the bandwidth (which has to be available for that game as long as valve is in business, so its not just a year of bandwidth), and the forums. As well they take care of the web store pages. They take care of any updates/patches that come through to make sure everyone is up to date. They provide a friends framework in steam so people can find friends playing the same game, and with steam groups other people wanting to play the game for multiplayer. There's the steamworks framework too, if they want to do achievements or integrate retail purchase cd keys into steam. They also take care of all the processing and making sure only legit customers can play the game through steam. Plus there's a ton of exposure to an ideal demographic (games being advertised to a game playing public), especially if there's a sale.

I'm sure I've forgotten some features, but if I was an indie, I'd sure as heck use steam even at 50%. 200k sales with only 50% is better than 2000 sales from no one hearing about me where I keep 75%.
Plus if an indie wants to do all the above themselves and reinvent the wheel on all those tasks and then do marketing and advertising to reach an interested demographic its probably going to cost them MORE than if they used steam from the start.
Once a dev hands the game off to steam, there's almost nothing else they have to do except cash the checks. (I used the words "have to do" intentionally there. Its great if they support the game such as with patches, but no company "has" to do that). Valve takes care of nearly all the overhead and maintenance except actually coding the game.

All that being said, does valve take more of a cut than they absolutely have to? Heck yeah they soak devs to some degree. And they are loving watching all the money roll in. They have the biggest share of the digital PC gaming marketplace so they can basically set the price they want, and they want a big chunk. Just like napster, companies tried to stop valve including with lawsuits, instead of adapting to the changing market conditions and trying to get a jump in the digital game sales market. So now valve owns it.
I just wish I could invest in valve stock.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2011, 17:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, "Surprise" Plans Feb 12, 2011, 14:57 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

It's 10 god damn bucks. Thats what, two pints at bar? This game is probably the most fun I've had since I worked out masturbation. (seriously, just buy the fucking game, buy a couple of mates it as a present ($10 is fuck all), and just have fun).  

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

16. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 13:06 Warskull

tony wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 11:11:
How is the single player in this game? I don't have many pc-playing friends and it's not often we all have free time simultaneously.

Single players is kind of screwed up. The boss design doesn't feel like it is meant for single player. A lot of bosses can one-shot you or insta-kill you randomly. So single player boils down to repeating bosses and luck at times.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2011, 13:25.

15. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 11:21 ASeven

Single player is pretty good, but be aware that although there is checkpoints, if you abandon the game it will start from the start of the last level you were in.  

14. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, "Surprise" Plans Feb 12, 2011, 11:11 tony

How is the single player in this game? I don't have many pc-playing friends and it's not often we all have free time simultaneously.  

13. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 10:37 ASeven

Personally I can play multiplayer matches without problems now.

Loving it!

12. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 09:36 Granz

200k that is awesome! It has some bugs but I don't mind they are going to fix it obviously.  

11. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 09:09 the_culture

How not buggy is it now? I'm curious to play, but don't want to deal with constant crashes and bugs.

Been playing the past 3 days and haven't had a problem. In fact, Gameplaymonthly.com has a contest going where they're giving away 5 Steam codes for the game. I think it's on their front page.

10. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 07:27 bigspender

the bugs are mostly gone now, best $10 ever spent  

9. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 05:28 Jippy

Wouldnt be so sure on that, haven't tested YESTERDAY's patch so will have to confirm but online was an AWFUL experience in the 4 games I joined, in fact I dont think we made it through the first two levels without people CTD and lagging all over the place.

Still, its a great game and unique they did well for themselves despite the teething issues.

8. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 04:32 Jerykk

They've released like 10 patches thus far so I think they've fixed all the major issues.  

7. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, "Surprise" Plans Feb 12, 2011, 04:06 RenownWolf

Actually it is said to be 30% for steam. 40% is more like a actual publisher with a boxed copy.

It's believed some games get different rates, but valve won't comment, and the others have NDAs for it.

How not buggy is it now? I'm curious to play, but don't want to deal with constant crashes and bugs.

http://www.renownwolf.com

6. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 03:47 Jerykk

Any links to the source for that Steam figure? 40% seems pretty hefty, considering that Valve doesn't have to pay for physical shelf space and digital storage is extremely cheap.  

5. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 01:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ouch, steam takes 40% !?! Rofl, that's horrible, considering they aren't even considered the publisher. Still, I wonder how it compares to regular retail.

This game will be great, if they can fix the "falling through the fucking floor" bug before everybody quits playing multiplayer in furious rage.

4. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 01:29 StingingVelvet

bigspender wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 23:51:
well if the game is about $9.99 then thats nearly 2 million, not bad at all, I wonder how much they actually get as profit though

Well Steam gets 40%, so right there you are down to 1.2 million, and the Paradox gets a huge cut.

3. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 12, 2011, 01:16 Jerykk

200k in less than a month is great for a relatively obscure game. If the devs were indie, they'd be making some nice profits.  

2. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, Feb 11, 2011, 23:51 bigspender

well if the game is about $9.99 then thats nearly 2 million, not bad at all, I wonder how much they actually get as profit though  

1. Re: Magicka Sells 200K, Patch, Q&A, "Surprise" Plans Feb 11, 2011, 21:46 nin

Wow, 200K isn't a bad start. Good for them!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo