Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A

The Arcen Games Website offers a batch of new screenshots from A Valley Without Wind and points the way to a new gameplay trailer, which, like the screenshots, comes from a pre-alpha version of this procedurally generated, side-scrolling action/adventure game. There's also A Valley Without Wind interview on Big Download where Erik Johnson and Chris Park of Arcen Games discuss the game and the future of their company.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 09:13 SCPM

On the one hand, these kinds of previews do make a bad first impression. On the other hand, the assets used are obviously placeholder, as you ideally start a game by building and testing an engine and implementing gameplay, not by finalizing all the character and object art. I think that it will be interesting to watch the game evolve through these previews, which I think may sort of be the point of why they are doing it this way.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 09:04 eRe4s3r

Well go hop to the forums of arcengames and say your opinion there? But i see what you mean and i already mentioned it in the forums too, the black of the grass and the yellows really don't mix well  

6. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 06:22 osage no onna

Rilcon wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 02:12:
Whatever, people have hated on MC and DF without caring one bit about the actual game; this seems like it'll be the same.

And yes, mindless rage etc. Graphics whores are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

I dunno, I think there's a difference between not focusing on graphics, and actually making your game aesthetically offensive. I love both DF and MC and several other games with focus on something other than pretty pictures, but this actually looks ugly rather than something that just has its priorities elsewhere. I'll play it if it turns out to be a good game, but some of those pictures still literally hurt my eyes (the winter pictures look perfectly acceptable and even nice, but the greener ones are way too discordant).

5. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 04:51 eRe4s3r

You couldn't produce a good game even if your life depended on it AI War showed that they are the only Indy Developers that make a decent new experience and listen to user Feedback so they can produce 8bit EGA graphics for all I care. As long as at the end comes around a game thats fresh.  

4. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 12, 2011, 02:12 Rilcon

Ah, ye fickle faggots. People complain about the lack of innovation and how gameplay should be the most important thing ever, but god forbid someone focus on the gameplay and leave the graphics as an afterthought!

Whatever, people have hated on MC and DF without caring one bit about the actual game; this seems like it'll be the same.

And yes, mindless rage etc. Graphics whores are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

3. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 11, 2011, 23:12 Shok

Hey it's pre-alpha so I guess they were going for the 'any publicity is good publicity' angle. However, if it's programmed and supported half as well as AI War & expansions I'll be buying it...  

2. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 11, 2011, 22:20 bigspender

looks shithouse  

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

1. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer and Q&A Feb 11, 2011, 21:18 [VG]Reagle

The future of their company is going out of business. I could crap a better game then this.  
As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo