Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Taking Take-Two?

MCV reports a rumor that Activision is looking to acquire rival publisher/developer Take-Two Interactive, saying these "rumours are circulating at the highest level" (whatever that means). They offer a quote from an anonymous source described as "a senior executive" (of an unspecified company) saying:  "There are very strong rumours amongst people at a very senior level within the global business," though this is followed by some hedging and fuzzy math: "But there're not much more than that at the moment they are just rumours. And, of course, given Activision's news this week, everyone is now looking to see what their next move is. But you can definitely put two and two together and make four-ish."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 12, 2011, 00:51 xXBatmanXx

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO~!!!!!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 20:16 Golwar

Good for all other publishers, they should have access to some great developers soon enough, if this should become reality.

Hm, should consider to buy some T2 shares.

17. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 15:34 Tumbler

There's no minority interest showing up on T2's financials so looks like R is wholly owned. Little bit surprised by that though as I'd have thought the Housers would have retained an interest.

This situation is not unlike EA trying to buy these guys before GTA4 came out, it looks like the shareholders of TTWO were wise to hold their shares...well not judging by the stock price...but then everything has come down considerably since then...so relatively speaking I think they're better off vs activision than they were vs EA. Activision reached a high of $18 a share or so back in 2009, and has been near 12 since then. That is approx a 33% drop. Compared to TTWO which was hitting $20 per share before EA offered $25 which boosted the price, but it's since come to approx $15 which is only a 25% drop...

Where as EA...holy crap EA's stock has gotten murdered. Seemed strong above $50 a share and around the time the tried to take over TTWO their stock takes a nose dive and is holding around $17.50...so a 65% drop during that time...

Oddly TTWO seems to be doing the best out of all three companies! If EA can put out CoD competitor with Respawn I can see that doing great things for their stock though.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 15:08 DG

Tumbler wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 12:49:
(Assuming rockstar is the property of Take Two)
There's no minority interest showing up on T2's financials so looks like R is wholly owned. Little bit surprised by that though as I'd have thought the Housers would have retained an interest.

15. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 14:38 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 13:08:
I just need to find a way to put the word 'synergy' in there somewhere.

But you can definitely synergize $ and $ together and make $$-ish.

14. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 14:21 nin

baltar wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 13:38:
Since Activison is taking Take-Two, does that mean we call them Take-Three?

What would Activision call T2?

"A snack."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 13:38 baltar

Since Activison is taking Take-Two, does that mean we call them Take-Three?  

12. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 13:08 Creston

space captain wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 11:00:
But you can definitely put $ and $ together and make $$-ish.

I'm going to use that in my next corporate meeting. I just need to find a way to put the word 'synergy' in there somewhere.

Creston

11. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 13:07 Creston

Activision taking over Take Two would mean the death of GTA. Because they'd fuck it up horrendously. Also, games like LA Noire and RDR would never see the light of day again.

So let's hope this is nothing but rumors.

Fucking Activision.

Creston

10. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 12:49 Tumbler

Seems like a great time to cash out on Rockstar. They just hit a home run with Red Dead, the still have a great franchise in Grand Theft Auto, LA Noire looks like another hit...The heads of Take Two would be wise to sell, seems like they could demand an outstanding price. (Assuming rockstar is the property of Take Two)

As a consumer I think this means certain doom for those franchises though. GTA 12, GTA 13, Red Dead 2012, Red Dead 2013, LA Noire pt 2 in March of 2012, Just push those titles out and make that money!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 11:34 venomhed

This would be a terrible move for Take Two. TT should hold out for 5 more years, then they can acquire Activision.  

8. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 11:00 space captain

But you can definitely put $ and $ together and make $$-ish.

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:54 Verno

They're losing their valuable IPs and running out of things to churn into pulp. After they're finished forcing Blizzard products out far too early then we'll move onto the lesser known IPs. I can see it now, Call of Borderlands: Modern Claptrap.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

6. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:34 Luther

Hump em' and dump em. That seems to be the Activision way. Hostile take overs are one of the worst things about PLCs - they allow bad companies to gobble up good. If you can make games efficiently, why bother trade on the stock market at all?  

5. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:32 Darks

I hope this doesnt happen, if they do aquire them this will be bad for all of us. Activision is trying ot be like EA, and they are going to over charge for game like they have been recently.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:25 Warskull

ASeven wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:18:
nin wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:12:
What does Activision have besides COD and Blizzard? They need new IPs, so it's not surprising.

Pretty much this. They're probably looking for new IPs and the cynical in me tells me they're going to bleed it dry too once they get them.

Either way, anyone interested in the stock market should take a closer look at the stocks of both these publishers, especially Take-2 if the merger is announced. Expect prices to spike up.

It has been their MO so far. Buy companies, get IPs, run them into the ground with yearly sequels until they stop selling. Their only options are to cease being relevant and leech off Blizzard or buy new IPs to exploit and run into the ground.

It would be ironic for the heads of Rockstar to get abused by Activision after they abused the people who made RDR.

3. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:18 ASeven

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:12:
What does Activision have besides COD and Blizzard? They need new IPs, so it's not surprising.

Pretty much this. They're probably looking for new IPs and the cynical in me tells me they're going to bleed it dry too once they get them.

Either way, anyone interested in the stock market should take a closer look at the stocks of both these publishers, especially Take-2 if the merger is announced. Expect prices to spike up.

2. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:14 InBlack

Wow...that would suck. Not that Take-Two has done anything for the PC gaming crowd at all but still...

Whats worse than a huge corporation?

A Gargantuan corporation....

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Feb 11, 2011, 10:12 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo