Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3

A Conversation With Black Swan Composer Clint Mansell on The Quietus has word that the composer of the soundtrack of the acclaimed ballet film is also scoring BioWare's upcoming Mass Effect 3: "I'm doing a video game this year actually. Mass Effect 3. Funnily enough, talking about Mike, we've exchanged emails about the possibility of doing a show featuring the Quartet and people they've collaborated with. It'd be a Kronos show, with different rooms for other people to do their thing, then bringing it all together. It's pretty cool-sounding." Thanks MCV. On a related note, a post on the BioWare Social Network by Jack Wall offers a farewell from the composer of the soundtracks of the first two Mass Effect games. Thanks Game Stooge.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 12, 2011, 18:12 Kedyn

Wow, Moon was soooo great. I'm definitely more excited for Mass Effect 3 than I was before.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 18:41 Draugr

DG wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 15:28:
Moon was awesome and the music hit it perfectly.

BTW if you haven't seen Moon, please do, but avoid the trailers. While the main draw of the film is watching it unfold, the trailers give pretty much the entire story away and even draw you to moments that are relatively subtly done in the film.

This.

18. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 15:55 bobbyric

Thank God... I like most of Jack Wall's music. Mass Effect 1 music was great. But seriously, Mass Effect 2? Totally phoned in, nothing memorable at all.  

17. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 15:37 nin

Have you seen the trailer for Source Code (Jones' next)? Looks like a cross between 12 Monkeys and Deja Vu.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/summit/sourcecode/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 15:28 DG

Moon was awesome and the music hit it perfectly.

BTW if you haven't seen Moon, please do, but avoid the trailers. While the main draw of the film is watching it unfold, the trailers give pretty much the entire story away and even draw you to moments that are relatively subtly done in the film.

15. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 15:18 Verno

PHJF wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 14:48:
I really liked his work on Moon. He really nailed that minimalistic approach that would work well in Mass Effect. "Spacey" music (not Kevin).

Agreed, loved the score for that film.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

14. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:48 PHJF

I really liked his work on Moon. He really nailed that minimalistic approach that would work well in Mass Effect. "Spacey" music (not Kevin).  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:38 Draugr

swaaye wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 14:20:
It must be a publicity move because I thought Jack Wall did a fantastic job with the series so far.

Perhaps its also possible he just wasn't going to sign on to ME3 as well.
http://www.jackwall.net/html/notepad.php?pad=4
this post could possible indicate as much.
In both large DLCs they released so far, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker, he didn't do the music so it seems like Bioware has known about this change for a long time, and perhaps based on that post, perhaps they knew before ME2 was even out the door.

12. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:35 nin

He even did the Doom movie.

11. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:30 Draugr

InBlack wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 10:35:
What the fuck? Ive seen the movie and its score is 99% Tchaikovski. So Ill say again. What the fuck??? This guy Clint Mansell did a fine con-job AFAIC with Bioware which is not so bad in my book....

BTW the movie is waaaaay over-rated. Portman did a good job, but she has like 5 lines in the entire movie so I dont really get why everyone and their grandmother praises it like there is no tomorrow...

Black swan wasn't his first job, he's done quite a few amazing soundtracks, like The Fountain, Moon, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler -- probably his recognized and most famous and overused piece is from requiem, I'm sure you've heard it -- the list goes on. Granted, this is his first game, and hes doing the final part of a trilogy, which to me strikes as hard work. You'd need to make music that fits with the trilogy and keeps the score "coherent" over the trilogy, it's certainly harder than just getting a new project to work with.
He's quite accomplished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmijKjosplM&feature=related
His most used piece, I'd be surpised if you didn't recognize this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAfMT5FIZE
a piece from the Moon soundtrack, one of my favorites from him. this one kinda gets me excited to see what he does for ME3.

10. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:23 swaaye

I'll have to check Moon out again because I can't remember what the music was like. I watched that almost a year ago.  

9. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:21 Ecthelion

I liked the music in Moon, which he also did. I don't normally notice soundtrack music, but I remember that music fitting the movie quite well.  

8. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:20 swaaye

It must be a publicity move because I thought Jack Wall did a fantastic job with the series so far.  

7. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:17 entr0py

Actually it was Clint Mansell messing with and reworking Tchaikovsky.

Wikipedia wrote:
Black Swan: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack marks the fifth consecutive collaboration between Aronofsky and English composer Clint Mansell. Mansell attempted to score the film based on Tchaikovsky's ballet, but with radical changes to the music. Because of the use of Tchaikovsky's music, the score was deemed ineligible to be entered into the 2010 Academy Awards for Best Original Score.

6. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 13:10 Creston

This would've been more interesting if it had been an annoucement that Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman were going to be in ME3.

Creston

5. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 12:59 tuddies

clint and kronos produce excellent, cinematic scores = check out the fountain for another great example of his work  

4. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 11:38 Zptr

Great PWEI tracks

Now Now James, We're Busy
Def Con One
Wise Up Sucker
Eveything's Cool
Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

Fuck it. They were a great band full stop. Just spotify Pop Will Eat Itself and lose yourself to what was known as greebo rock.

http://blog.playscifi.com

3. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 10:35 InBlack

What the fuck? Ive seen the movie and its score is 99% Tchaikovski. So Ill say again. What the fuck??? This guy Clint Mansell did a fine con-job AFAIC with Bioware which is not so bad in my book....

BTW the movie is waaaaay over-rated. Portman did a good job, but she has like 5 lines in the entire movie so I dont really get why everyone and their grandmother praises it like there is no tomorrow...

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2011, 10:42.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 10:31 nin

I would think Vangelis would be very expensive. And even with Clint's recent success, I would guess he's be a lot cheaper.

This was my first exposure to Clint, after hearing him on a late night collage radio station, in the mid 90s: http://www.discogs.com/Pop-Will-Eat-Itself-Ich-Bin-Ein-Auslander/release/832791 The 7" mix was fucking awesome.

1. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 10:24 mixma242

Interesting. I liked the music of the first two, so it will be interesting to see how this works out. If they were going to replace the composer it would have been cooler if they had hired Vangelis as the replacement.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo