Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers

The EA website announces Crysis 2 will support dedicated servers, though it's possible that the software to run a server will not be freely distributed, as they list "server provider partners who, between them, will be offering global hosting." Also, C2TV Episode 4 is now online, a video which Crytek executive producer Nathan Camarillo describes as offering "more about the aliens that are in Crysis 2, as well as some of our sound and animation techniques" (thanks SpectralMeat). The clip features gameplay footage from the upcoming first-person shooter sequel, and thoughts on the above topics from lead designer Sten Hübler, senior sound designer Chris Schilling, lead animator Rubén Salgado Escudera, audio lead Florian Füsslin, and a Hollywood stuntman who did some of their motion capture work.

Also a new MyCrysis Nanosuit Showroom is online with more on the game's augmentation outfit, focusing on the suit's armor aspects to start with. Finally, on a related note, we also have a new Crysis 2 trailer showing nanosuit 2.0 multiplayer progression (part one). Here's word on that: "The Nanosuit is the ultimate evolution of warfare in Crysis 2. In this first installment, explore the vast array of customization and enhancements available to the Nanosuit in multiplayer, allowing gamers to play the game their way. Whether you prefer strength, speed, or stealth, Crysis 2 gives you the ability to Be The Weapon." This trailer is embedded below.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 11, 2011, 20:44 Zardoz5

Crysis 2: We Shrunk This Down To Fit On Consoles Boogaloo

The increased customization of your suit looks interesting, but has anyone see a single playable vehicle in any Crysis 2 video? "Crysis" 2 looks like a cross between Halo and CoD now to me. No thanks, Crytek.

Makes me laugh in all their gameplay videos they show people on the same team running around together like a pack of dogs. Woof woof woof!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 11, 2011, 13:50 Creston

SteveUK wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 18:23:
Most of the whiners in this comment section are pathetic.

Feel free to let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Creston

27. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 11, 2011, 05:26 InBlack

Crysis was a ripoff, at least I felt that way. The only thing that game had going for it were its graphics, the sandbox gameplay was limited at best. The story and AI....well you all know how that turned out, but at least it served as a template for a very, very good mod. (MW: Living Legends)  

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 23:37 Jerykk

Does anyone really give a fuck about these as much as EA (and every FPS maker now a days) thinks we do? Because I sure don't give a shit. What ever happened to having ranked and unranked servers?

Sadly, gameplay is not enough to keep casual gamers playing. They need tangible incentives and a reward schedule in the form of leveling and unlockables satisfies this need. That's why essentially every multiplayer game (and an increasing number of single-player games) feature some form of operant conditioning these days.

The result of all this is that multiplayer balance has become a joke. The players with the most unlockables are the ones who have been the longest. Now they not only possess superior skill but they also have the advantage in terms of weapons, gear and perks. Even if unlockables were "balanced" (which they never are), the ability to choose the optimal loadout for any given situation is a distinct advantage over those that have no such options.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2011, 04:12.

25. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 21:52 NicklePop

necrosis wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 21:00:
BC2 didn't have modding tools so that means every game with private server binaries won't have modding!!! Get real, if you think the lack of public server files means no modding or Sandbox Editor you are seriously out of your mind.
You are obviously to stupid to see where things are going. To stupid to see the track record for games that have leased servers only.

Yes there is a chance they will release Sandbox. There is also a chance pigs will fly.

No, no chance. Pigs might be able to fly though.

24. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 21:00 necrosis

BC2 didn't have modding tools so that means every game with private server binaries won't have modding!!! Get real, if you think the lack of public server files means no modding or Sandbox Editor you are seriously out of your mind.
You are obviously to stupid to see where things are going. To stupid to see the track record for games that have leased servers only.

Yes there is a chance they will release Sandbox. There is also a chance pigs will fly.

23. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 20:58 necrosis

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 19:54:
ranked servers.
Does anyone really give a fuck about these as much as EA (and every FPS maker now a days) thinks we do? Because I sure don't give a shit. What ever happened to having ranked and unranked servers?

22. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 19:54 DangerDog

Crytek have a dedicated mod portal as well as an active mod community, and they new earlier last year indicated their interest in releasing a free version of CE3 anyway. What on earth makes you think that they won't include them? Most of the whiners in this comment section are pathetic.

Not out of my mind, just being realistic.

I'm aware of Crymod.com, been a member since it first started up but that doesn't guarantee they'll release mod tools for Crysis 2.

Private servers + ranks, unlocks and paid DLC (you know it's coming) most likely means they wont be, and even if they do you'll probably never see user content on ranked servers.

21. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 18:46 Dades

SteveUK wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 18:31:
Almost everyone below my comment.

There are like 3 people upset with the decision and everyone else is discussing it rationally. One might think you have a problem with overreaction yourself.

20. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 18:31 SteveUK

Dades wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 18:26:

Crytek have a dedicated mod portal as well as an active mod community, and they new earlier last year indicated their interest in releasing a free version of CE3 anyway. What on earth makes you think that they won't include them? Most of the whiners in this comment section are pathetic.

Who are you even talking to specifically?

Almost everyone below my comment.

19. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 18:26 Dades

Who are you even talking to specifically?

18. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 18:23 SteveUK

17. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 17:47 Sepharo

They hired a Mike Rowe impersonator for that trailer?  

16. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 16:19 Kris Redbeard

Unlocks make baby jesus cry.

All I see is the usual shit of people cheating/grinding to get the unlocks.

Such a nice looking engine too...

Oh yeah, bitch bitch, whine whine, dedicated server, bla bla.
All hail indies!
NS2 FTW!

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

15. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 16:12 SpectralMeat

Should be fun until BF3 comes out.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 16:12 Paketep

No LAN and no public server files?. No sale.

Fuck you, EA. Fuck you, Crytek. Don't come crying about piracy (Cevat's specialty) when you don't sale that many units of your newest tech demo.

13. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 16:09 Verno

I don't mind the idea of paying for dedicated servers, if people want to do that then fair enough but I can't see a reason why they can't let me grab the files and host a server myself. I suppose we are supposed to be happy to get dedicated servers at all these days but it still makes me slightly annoyed. Then again to be honest it's not like Crysis 2 was going to be my MP game of the year regardless so /shrug  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

12. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 16:01 tskiller

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 15:58:
tskiller wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 15:48:
Fuck you crytek. If you want to force us to pay for dedicated servers you aren't getting a cent from me.

Not even to mention that no public server files means no user generated maps, mods, or any content of any kind.

Edit:

After watching the new trailer, I've lost all interest in crysis 2, dedicated servers or not. If i wanted to play call of duty, I'd play call of duty.

Fair enough, I swear though one of the biggest complaints on the boards for the beta of Crysis was that there wasn't any stat tracking, they only offered that offline view of your stats and for many it just didn't cut it.

Er, blame Battlefield for that one?

If it was purely statistical tracking I'd have no problem with that. In fact, I'd love it. I really thought that was cool with unreal tournament, as hit or miss as the actual tracking was.

11. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 15:58 DangerDog

tskiller wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 15:48:
Fuck you crytek. If you want to force us to pay for dedicated servers you aren't getting a cent from me.

Not even to mention that no public server files means no user generated maps, mods, or any content of any kind.

Edit:

After watching the new trailer, I've lost all interest in crysis 2, dedicated servers or not. If i wanted to play call of duty, I'd play call of duty.

Fair enough, I swear though one of the biggest complaints on the boards for the beta of Crysis was that there wasn't any stat tracking, they only offered that offline view of your stats and for many it just didn't cut it.

Er, blame Battlefield for that one?

10. Re: Crysis 2 Has Dedicated Servers, New Trailers Feb 10, 2011, 15:48 DangerDog

Joss wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 15:23:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 15:19:
Well, so much for shipping the sandbox editor for CryEngine 3 for this game.

Eh? Where does it say that?

I would love to be wrong but EA is heavy handed when it comes to wanting control over content released by the way of paid DLC. Things got a little wonky with the piracy blame game for Crysis, with the editor you could load individual levels and play them with the editor - abit with a really poor gameplay experience - but it could be done.

With the release of Warhead they stripped out the files that allowed you to do this at the cost of not allowing people to see the structure of how Crytek put the singleplayer levels together which you could do with Crysis, an invaluable learning resource was lost and I for one was rather bummed about that.

It's too bad they can't just come out and say they won't release the sandbox editor for this game, I'm sure they'll spin it and say something like they have something in store for release down the road - some form of gimped standalone version of CryEngine 3 as a mod tool with limited features.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo