Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Salem Perma-Death Explained

Paradox Interactive officially announces Salem, the free-to-play MMOG set in colonial Salem they unveiled a few weeks ago at their press event. They have launched a Salem Product Section, Facebook Page, and Twitter feed for this game that has an emphasis on crafting and the unusual feature of permanent death for characters who meet their in-game demise. They also include a link to their previously released game trailer, and some details on the game, including a bit more on the perma-death deal, which is not quite as permanent as it sounded at first:

"Salem is a free-to-play MMO game that is going to add something new to the genre with the concept of generations rather than just a single character through the game,” said Tom Söderlund, Project Lead for Paradox Connect. “If your character is killed in the game, and believe me it can be dangerous in Salem, their descendent has the ability to pick up where your character left off. The concept of revenge and towns policing themselves and even sanctioning hits on griefers is going to be a really compelling aspect. We know we’ll see some interesting things when the community finally has a chance to play Salem later this year.”

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 11:02 InBlack

The Advocate wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 09:30:
InBlack wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 08:57:
But please try to prove me wrong. Please do.

When you learn to debate without resorting to argumentum ad hominem, I'll entertain the idea.

Until then, read Adam Jones' "Genocide: A Comprehensive Introduction" and Chalk and Jonassohn's "The History and Sociology of Genocide".

You think I cant google books back at you? Please name one movement that you think is more evil than Nazism and post a few arguments of why you think this is so?

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 10:10 space captain

Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 17:48:
Dunno about Ghengis' death toll, but Stalin killed 3 or 4 times as many of his own people. Something like 30 million.

modern estimates based on historical census data put ghengis at 40 mil

Go forth, and kill!

38. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 09:30 Burrito of Peace

InBlack wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 08:57:

When you learn to debate without resorting to argumentum ad hominem, I'll entertain the idea.

Until then, read Adam Jones' "Genocide: A Comprehensive Introduction" and Chalk and Jonassohn's "The History and Sociology of Genocide".

37. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 08:57 InBlack

Advocate you are full of shit please learn your history. The world has enough uneducated Nazi apologists as it is. The Romans documented pretty much everything and although they were prone to exagaration they had no concept of war crimes since they believed they were divinely pre-ordained to rule the world. So they had no compulsion to leave anything out of their history books.

The Romans ALSO never attempted to exterminate an entire people/race, they were satisfied with simply subjugating them or enslaving them.

Even your argument about Christians is wrong. First of all arguing whether a diety is evil or not is not really something that can be done objectively with an empirical method, since there is no proof of its existence in the first case. Second of all, Christianity is a religion not a movement. A LOT of Nazis were Christians, does that make all Christians evil??

A better comparison could be made between Nazis and the Crusaders. But even the Crusaders stopped short of trying to exterminate an entire race, for example they were mostly interested in their loot since the biggest massacre happened in Constantinopole. A christian city btw...(EPIC FAIL)

So yes, Nazism is probably the most evil movement ever to have been invented and followed by the sick human mind...

36. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 07:59 Burrito of Peace

Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 17:54:

The Germans were exceptional record keepers.

So were the Romans who, over the course of their empire's entire span, probably committed genocide on a far grander scale than the Nazis could ever masturbate to fantasies of. However, you rarely see the Romans demonized in history as they are the victors.

This notion of "the Nazis were the evilest thing EVAR!" is nothing more than ignorant emotionalism from perpetrators of professional victimhood.

Hell, we could go further and start chucking in religious texts too and say that the Christian deity is the greatest mass murder this planet has ever seen*.

*If we were to stipulate that said deity existed and that there was some truth to the religious texts detailing its actions.

35. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 06:00 InBlack

Darks wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 12:41:
Why would anyone in their right mind ever play this mode? Why would you spend possibly countless hours on a char, building it up just to have it Die permanently? Anyone who plays this mode deserves what they get. Heart ache and pain. I feel no sympathy for anyone stupid enough to even try it.

Carebears are a dying breed my friend, do you know why? Because when nothing you do has any consequence whatsoever sooner or later you stop caring. Cheers!

34. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 11, 2011, 02:18 Prez

WyldKat wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 12:41:
.... Are you kidding me?

The Salem witch hunt was every bit as "light-hearted, charming, and cute" as the Holocaust.

I'm sure good little Puritan boys and girls will eat this up though.

I think you need to lighten up a bit - there were some terrible atrocities committed by pirates throughout the centuries too but that doesn't make Sid Meier's Pirates a crime against humanity or anything.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 23:09 entr0py

So, while it's nothing like perma-death, it is a little like being an outlaw. When shit goes south you may need a name change and a new wig.  

32. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 21:26 D_K_night

So effectively, perma-death doesn't exist here, either, then.

Perma should be, if you die - YOU DIE. GAME OVER, no continues.

Aside from starting from dirt scratch with nothing to your name.

31. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 19:58 [VG]Reagle

If there isnt going to be permadeath really then I wont play it. I want to kill people and have them stay dead. I wouldnt mind if the player was left with 40% of his XP to start over or something but I want the damn player to stay dead...  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

30. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 19:20 Howin

So whats the diffrence between this and Eve Onlines clone system ?  

29. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 18:49 Dades

Why make a game and tout the "perma death" aspect, if you're going to turn around have the dead character come back as a descendant who just "picks up where your character left off?"

If you're a no-name MMO that can't match the featureset of WoW, what is a good way to grab headlines?

28. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 18:36 .Drifter

Why make a game and tout the "perma death" aspect, if you're going to turn around have the dead character come back as a descendant who just "picks up where your character left off?"
Seriously, sounds just like a standard, non perma death MMO so far, except your character model just changes when you rez, at least where "death" is concerned.
Guess "perma death" looks better as a bullet point and gets more buzz when appealing to a certain demographic though.

27. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 18:28 Cutter

Sencho wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 13:17:
WyldKat wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 12:41:
The Salem witch hunt was every bit as "light-hearted, charming, and cute" as the Holocaust.

The 10-year organized mass genocide of millions of hated peoples run by perhaps the most singular evil being in human history compares to a months-long, regional hysteria sparked by a few lunatic girls in what way exactly? The sense of scale is completely off. Heck they only similar items are death and insanity...and you find that at a soccer riot.

So, I guess you'd oppose a "light-hearted, charming, and cute" English soccer riot game then.

Clearly you need to read more history. Hitler wasn't even in the same class as many of history's great villains, he simply had the tools to expedite the destruction of a group of people he hated. And if you're talking about the witch trials specifically that ran on for several centuries all over the world costing 10s of 1000s of innocen women their lives. So no, not as bad when it comes to numbers, but just as unjust and cruel, so do the numbers really matter except for scale?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

26. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 17:54 Flatline

The Advocate wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 14:48:
Perhaps not as history records them exactly since the victors get to write history.

The Germans were exceptional record keepers. That little piece of history was written by the losers of WW2.

And IBM

And Krupp

And Bayer

At least, according to all their records. This history is written by the businessmen.

25. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 17:48 Flatline

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 13:53:
Sencho wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 13:17:
by perhaps the most singular evil being in human history

according to popular opinion drenched in hyperbole - not defending hitler but there have been PLENTY of genocidal despots in human history.. have you even heard of pol pot?

btw ghengis khan killed many times more people than hitler, they arent even remotely in the same magnitude

Dunno about Ghengis' death toll, but Stalin killed 3 or 4 times as many of his own people. Something like 30 million.

24. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 15:39 bhcompy

This is very similar to Realms of Torment. That game had a lot of promise, but was eventually killed because of lack of funding after chronically overshooting deadlines(it made early beta eventually that looked and performed like an early alpha). Your character had a defined lifespan and you would have to have a marriage or adopt to continue your bloodline, while you could breed certain traits/skills into your bloodline that would provide accelerated learning for those skills when you start over. You are also not tied to a particular class, so you can be a healer type the first time around and a fighter the next.

This concept allows the game to remain fresh, IMHO, but it is definitely not for the WoW crowd.

23. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 15:06 Slayblaze

I see the "lighthearted cute goth" theme to be more along the lines of maybe sony's old MediEvil series or going back further like Ghosts n' Goblins, you know that basic style. Or as in the trailer description Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas. Or even some of the cartoony yet incredibly gory stuff as some of the more obscure toons on Adult Swim. Those all have pretty macabre themes and depictions, yet are very stylized and unrealistic. And they manage to be enjoyable.  

22. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 14:57 Kxmode

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 14:56:
kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 14:42:
A game where "burn it with fire" is literal!

How'd it get burned!?!?

WITH FIRE!

21. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 14:56 NewMaxx

kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 14:42:
A game where "burn it with fire" is literal!

How'd it get burned!?!?

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo