Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bulletstorm Censored in Germany

GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) has word that Bulletstorm will carry a USK 18 + rating in Germany, even after "very heavy censorship" at the behest of the German Entertainment Software Rating Board. Word is the German version the game will not include ragdoll effects, blood, splatter, and dismembering.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 10, 2011, 04:28 eRe4s3r

Whether sarcasm or not. The joke here is on EPIC. Had they forgone the process and released without USK rating (import only) they could have saved themselves time and money. Now they release a censored german version out of their own volition to get that 18+ rating. The USK NEVER CENSORS ANYTHING. Its a rating board. The ones doing the censoring are the developers that want a certain rating, And theres no difference between 18+ and no USK rating. The end result is the same. So EPIC really fucked this one up.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 22:34 Draugr

Sepharo wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 22:21:
Draugr wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 22:11:
Also, as far as I know God of war 3 had like one sex scene, the witcher has like a million, all with different women.

As far as I can remember there were no sex scenes in The Witcher. Just sex cards, that showed drawn pictures of the women with occasionally exposed breasts (technically speaking, boobage). And without looking it up I'd say there were probably 15 or so.

Obviously a million was hyperbole. I was thinking more like 20, but the point is there are quite a few, and I would say they are considered sex scenes because of the little cinematic (as the card is displayed) and dialogue and scenes beforehand. Im not saying its as graphic as God of war, but it is a sex scene, about as much as mass effect 1 has a sex scene.

I've provided these links to kind of show you what I mean. once again im not saying it's as graphic, but when a game gets an M rating, and it says 'sexual content' it's because of these, heh.
I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I did Bored

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QcAWkpnItQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UciUwGR4qh4

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2011, 22:41.

20. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 22:21 Sepharo

Draugr wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 22:11:
Also, as far as I know God of war 3 had like one sex scene, the witcher has like a million, all with different women.

As far as I can remember there were no sex scenes in The Witcher. Just sex cards, that showed drawn pictures of the women with occasionally exposed breasts (technically speaking, boobage). And without looking it up I'd say there were probably 15 or so.

19. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 22:11 Draugr

Sepharo wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 21:48:
The Witcher really didn't need to be censored.

I mean hell look at God of War 3: http://www.viddler.com/explore/justpushstart/videos/34/

As to why The Witcher did, I'm guessing they wanted to either avoid issues or they were hoping for a more relaxed rating.
I don't mean to imply they had to make the changes, but they may have made said changes in anticipation.

My point was merely to illustrate that we have the similar issues when it comes to our media, just on a different part of the spectrum, and I think it still stands.

While I can't think of any games that were considered 'too much' to be released in the US, there are plenty of films that have been censored by the MPAA for reasons like this.
Shit, Robocop was rated nc-17 due to violence the first couple of passes through the MPAA system before they got it down to R.

When I say 'we' I'm referring to The United States, not me and the mouse in my pocket

edit - I guess manhunt 2 would be a good example of a game getting censored... Now, granted with things like my robocop example and with manhunt 2, they aren't told no, or strictly to change, but what happens is they are assigned a rating which basically means they won't be carried in most stores. It might not be 'hard' censorship, but to an extent it still gets the job done.

18. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 21:48 Sepharo

The Witcher really didn't need to be censored.

I mean hell look at God of War 3: http://www.viddler.com/explore/justpushstart/videos/34/

17. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 21:34 Dev

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 19:15:
And well they should. Just because someone can make something offensive for the sake of being offensive doesn't mean they should be permitted to, much less profit by it.
Say what? Was that sarcasm or your real opinion?

16. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 20:46 Golwar

Darks wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 13:37:
Its things like this that will drive up piracy on a game. If I were a Germany player I would surly be pirating the English version.

And why not simply import the english game? Which is cheaper than the german version too.

I'm not strictly against all thosd game changes, if the game would be available for children under 18 then. This isn't the case despite all those modifications, this crippled Bulletstorm is still for adults only and that is indeed insane.

15. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 19:24 Donkey_Punch

Unlike the USA in which displays of physical love, or nudity is a huge no-no. Don't even get me going on swearing! However shooting someone in the head is great family entertainment for war mongers.

Religious people are insane.

14. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 19:15 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 16:01:
There are but the classification board takes GREAT insult when games are ONLY about violence. Bulletstorm is about as low (morally) as you can get, it glorifies brutality and rewards you for coming up with creative new brutality.

One could say, that rating board doesn't rate brutality but what part of it is central to the game and whats just pointless brutality for the sake of brutality. And bulletstorm is basically 100% pointless brutality.. you get the idea.

You can say what you will but theres games, like Postal and Bulletstorm, that glorify brutality as MAIN element of their gameplay. And these will always fail classification.

And well they should. Just because someone can make something offensive for the sake of being offensive doesn't mean they should be permitted to, much less profit by it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 18:00 Grokk

I just hope it's not censored here in Australia. I'm half looking forward to it, but it if cops the censor bat I'll need to import it from NZ rather than purchase on steam.

PS: I'm still mighty pissy about L4D2 being censored. Worst game ever without the corpses.

12. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 16:19 Draugr

Fion wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 12:18:
Poor Germans, your government thinks your all children.

Its been my observation that Violence in European countries is treated like Sex/Nudity is here in the US,
They shy away from violent imagery
We shy away from boobies
Even in games, 'The Witcher' -- US vs. European release, for example.
In that situation we were the ones who got the censored game for equally silly reasons.

That being said, I can hardly feel bad for the ten 13 year olds in Germany who are feeling like they've missed out, this isn't like an amazing game that is getting the shaft.
I guess there will be adults who are basically 13 year olds that will feel left out too.

11. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 16:01 eRe4s3r

There are but the classification board takes GREAT insult when games are ONLY about violence. Bulletstorm is about as low (morally) as you can get, it glorifies brutality and rewards you for coming up with creative new brutality.

One could say, that rating board doesn't rate brutality but what part of it is central to the game and whats just pointless brutality for the sake of brutality. And bulletstorm is basically 100% pointless brutality.. you get the idea.

You can say what you will but theres games, like Postal and Bulletstorm, that glorify brutality as MAIN element of their gameplay. And these will always fail classification.

10. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 15:31 DangerDog

necrosis wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 14:16:
will not include ragdoll effects
Ehh?

Yep, they have some rule that says once a player character body goes into ragdoll mode (dead) you're not allowed to interact with it any further by the player. Stuff like this is why you couldn't move dead enemy AI soldiers in Crysis so as to hide their detection by other enemy AI soldiers.

So in a way these censorship rules do affect game design and is not just limited to games released in Germany.

9. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 14:16 necrosis

will not include ragdoll effects
Ehh?

8. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 13:37 Darks

Its things like this that will drive up piracy on a game. If I were a Germany player I would surly be pirating the English version.

You can just hear Cliffy bitch Boy now, fuck pc gamers! im going back to the console. news for ya bitch boy, the console it pirated more then the pc is.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

7. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 13:23 Bumpy

Aren't there any parents in Germany?  

6. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 12:29 Lit_Reflex001

Stupid content tryants... Adults should free to play these kinds of games!

And to think that they gave it an adults only rating without even any blood!

Idiots!

5. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 12:29 yuastnav

Kajetan wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 11:25:
Rilcon wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 11:13:
That's over half the selling points gone in a puff of CENSORED signs.
No problem. Germans will buy this game in other countries or simply download it. Censorship NEVER works!

Yep. Either they will try to order the game from another country, which does not always work due to customs, or they will pirate it because they cannot get it any other way without getting a censored version (some may legally buy a censored version to compensate, though).

I think it'll still sell.

4. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 12:18 Fion

Poor Germans, your government thinks your all children.  

3. Re: Bulletstorm Censored in Germany Feb 9, 2011, 11:27 El Pit

Interesting. The Germans send troops to fight in Stan, but they censor the shit out of games. Wow. Just wow.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo