Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dungeons

Kalypso USA announces the release of Dungeons in North America at retail and through digital distribution. A playable demo was released earlier today, and here's word on the game: "Dungeons lets players don the boots of a fallen-from-grace Dungeon Lord, who must entice foolish heroes into his deceptively beautiful and equally deadly custom-crafted dungeons. Once an adventurer enters the player’s creation, the fun really begins as players must first entertain, then capture those heroes, stealing the adventurers’ precious soul energy in order to build even more elaborate and sinister dungeons. For more information about Dungeons, please visit http://home.dungeons-game.com."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 9, 2011, 06:59 Prez

Ant wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 01:58:
Play the demo instead and decide it yourself?

Thank you Smarty McAssenstein!

Seriously though, I don't always trust demos simply because the game can take longer than the demo allows to get warmed up. I've been hearing that this demo is not a particularly good one either.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 9, 2011, 04:08 Zoom

DK2 had the dark mistresses and just for that it's better Put them in a torture chamber, and look how they "play" together and moan and hmmm... *goes to reinstall DK2*  

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 9, 2011, 01:58 Ant

Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 01:44:
Gamespot - 5.0
Strategy Informer - 8.5

Those are very different scores - much more different than the 3.5 points would indicate. I tend to trust SI more than Gamespot, but who knows? I'll wait and see.
Play the demo instead and decide it yourself?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 9, 2011, 01:44 Prez

Gamespot - 5.0
Strategy Informer - 8.5

Those are very different scores - much more different than the 3.5 points would indicate. I tend to trust SI more than Gamespot, but who knows? I'll wait and see.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 20:05 JaguarUSF

The first two or three levels of the campaign serve as a tutorial in the full version. What's in the demo?  

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 19:09 Dev

No tutorial? Seriously? Before release, did they bother getting anyone to playtest the game who hadn't played it before and without a dev sitting and telling him what to do?

I was seriously thinking about buying this when I saw it on steam since I loved dungeon keeper games, but all these posts, I don't think anyone anything positive to say about the demo or the game. And $40 is pretty steep for a game that sounds like its hard to figure out and not much fun to play. Maybe I'll try the internets version first before I make up my mind on the off chance the demo doesn't provide a complete picture.

I'm also having fun with the Dungeon Lords board game. It reminds me of dungeon keeper game

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 19:02 eRe4s3r

I would say DK1 was better too but sadly i have not managed to actually get it to run in recent years - neither the dos nor the windows version work, (dos) in dosbox for me (simply closes when typing in keeper.exe ) and windows version is not a valid executable (on vista that is ,p)

And there isn't much point drawing comparisons with DK1 when you can't run the game. DK2 at least barely runs even on todays hardware.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 18:54 Ant

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 18:49:
Yeha, the demo is confusing and the manual doesn't clarify anything at all. That demo definitely hurt them more than it helped.
Ugh, I guess I won't bother since I don't have time to waste a lot of time to figure out how to play the dang game!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 18:49 Cutter

Yeha, the demo is confusing and the manual doesn't clarify anything at all. That demo definitely hurt them more than it helped.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 17:43 MoreLuckThanSkill

Somewhat off topic, but in most of these Dungeons related posts, people laud Dungeon Keeper Two more than DK1... that's mind boggling to me.

Dungeon Keeper seemed VASTLY superior to DK2 to me, in pretty much every way, except possibly graphically, depending on how much you feel you need hardware accelerated graphics.

Oh well, maybe I will give DK2 another shot one of these days.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 17:42 Ant

Did it take a while to figure out how to play this game with no tutorial?  

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 17:36 eRe4s3r

Yeah its really befuddling what they thought when they made this game.

1) its not rated M - its rated 12+ (its a childs game). So thats a clear obvious fail.
2) You are not vulnerable at all - your dungeon lord is extremely potent fighter in his own realm, and can solo all normal enemies easily and with help of the heart guardian even 5 or 10 champions.
3) The game concept does not allow for free form building of dungeons, digging is no fun at all because you don't get enough imps and only 1 imp can dig 1 tile at a time.
4) The humor completely misses the mark, references to Dungeon Keeper are only funny if you actually have a better game to show. Because Dungeons is not better all these jokes and references made me do is dig out my old DK2 copy (and hot damn, it still works fine ;p)

What they didn't get is, that DK2 is NOT funny, its just extremely twisted so that often the absurdity of the situation makes you laugh.

Makes me really sad because on paper it sounded like a good game, but the end result is really mediocre at best. It's just no fun, and not even a guilty pleasure. Its like a time management arcade game. You gotta fill the needs of customers then "click" on them in time (so that your DL kills em)

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 16:58 baltar

In this game goblins are your imps. You have to cast a spell to spawn goblins much like spawning imps in DK..

Dungeons is completely ridiculous - It's like the roles are reversed from DK - you build the dungeon to entertain heroes that come in, they go into library, kill stuff, steal treasure, etc. The important thing is to kill them before they run away with full soul. You build pentagrams to have creatures spawn from it, but I couldn't find a way to make them get out of guard mode and actually roam the dungeon like in DK.

That's another issue with this game - no damn tutorial.

DK made sense - you build your dungeon, and defend against heroes that try to break in, meanwhile you have to keep your creatures satisfied enough so they won't be stupid.

I did like the graphics and the artwork, and the music sounds neat, but I'm glad I got to play the demo ahead of time, that way I was able to cancel my preorder before it shipped. To me its not worth more than $5..

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 16:58 Icewind

Fion wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 15:51:
Lol yea. I tried the demo but it was kind of odd. The game doesn't really tell you much before throwing you into the game with 'heroes' constantly coming into your dungeon and trying to steal your goodies. You have to collect their souls but knocking them out and imprisoning them but there are all kinds of other distractions going on like invaders from other dungeons and such so you have to choose one or the other. On top of that the game doesn't tell you at all how to create 'pentagrams' for your monsters to stand on to protect areas beyond the very first. I can place them but they say a goblin must activate them and I cannot figure out how to do so and the game does not appear to tell you either.

Frankly it makes me want to find my old Dungeon Keeper 2 disk lol.

Agree with you for the most part. I'm glad they put a demo out because my love of Dungeon Keeper would have made this an impulse purchase.

I think the fact that you have a physical manifestation of yourself is a big part of why I don't like it. In Dungeon Keeper you were very vulnerable. You were a beating heart protected by imps. You had to be careful and merciless and plan ahead to survive. Here it's just sort of a long slog through an awkward GUI.

Plus how can I torture my monsters or torture the enemies even? Where is the multiplayer mode? Where is the feeling of wickedness?

They tried, I'll give them that. Still failed, however.

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 15:51 Fion

Lol yea. I tried the demo but it was kind of odd. The game doesn't really tell you much before throwing you into the game with 'heroes' constantly coming into your dungeon and trying to steal your goodies. You have to collect their souls but knocking them out and imprisoning them but there are all kinds of other distractions going on like invaders from other dungeons and such so you have to choose one or the other. On top of that the game doesn't tell you at all how to create 'pentagrams' for your monsters to stand on to protect areas beyond the very first. I can place them but they say a goblin must activate them and I cannot figure out how to do so and the game does not appear to tell you either.

Frankly it makes me want to find my old Dungeon Keeper 2 disk lol.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 16:19.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 15:01 Kajetan

Tanto Edge wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:55:
Gee... never heard of this concept before..
The concept isn't the problem, the execution is. Mediocre at best, when treated as an unique game. A bad rip-off, if you trusted their marketing and trailers, which have clearly indicated a DK clone.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeons Feb 8, 2011, 14:55 Tanto Edge

Gee... never heard of this concept before..  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo