Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Details

A post on VG247 shares some of the revelations about Battlefield 3 in the Game Informer cover story on DICE's military shooter sequel. Word is PC is the game's lead platform, that the mod tools will not be released alongside the game so they can be "dumbed down," and that locations will include Tehran; Paris; New York; Sulaymaniyah; and Iraqi Kurdistan. They also say: "One probe in Battlefield 3 on lighting will contain more info than an entire Bad Company 2 level," everything will be destructible (but believable), there will be no "gliding" animations, the dev team is nearly twice the size of that for Bad Company 2, the game will feature "M" rated language, and that the single-player game will have a "significant narrative" (thanks Krisz). There's another article based on the GI preview on Computer and Video Games, noting that DICE says it has "learnt its lesson" about DLC from Battlefield: Bad Company 2 as producer Patrick Bach says that failing to release a map pack for BC2 for six months after the game's release caused the multiplayer community to drop off drastically.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 10, 2011, 18:49 Dades

The flip side to that sarcasm is requiring a 3GB patch to unlock a map mode.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 9, 2011, 21:13 Sepharo

bigspender wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 20:09:
why can't people understand, that they've designed workflow, pipeline, whatever you wanna call it, to work best for their development needs, and it would take 6-12 months of redoing it just so a few people can fiddle with the engine.

naw dog its just movin files around

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 9, 2011, 20:09 bigspender

why can't people understand, that they've designed workflow, pipeline, whatever you wanna call it, to work best for their development needs, and it would take 6-12 months of redoing it just so a few people can fiddle with the engine.

there are heaps of other engines you can go mod

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

48. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 9, 2011, 09:53 Dmitri_M

The tools argument about "pipeline" and required access to "80 gigs of source data" isn't a real justification for not releasing mod tools. We all have the source data when we buy the game, just in a compressed\encrypted\whatever format, minus content that isn't needed such as "devs_party_fridaynight_fuck.psd". And "pipeline" just means some developer saving to a location and another opening it, fuck I hate that word in any work related context. Arseline connected into my bullshit neural cortex upyours.

I don't doubt that some clean-up work might be required to internal tools, but not releasing them has little to do with technical hitches. Be honest at least.

47. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 9, 2011, 02:48 bigspender

just finished reading through that magazine article scan

THIS IS GOING THE BE THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

46. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 9, 2011, 01:28 xXBatmanXx

venomhed wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:25:
Don't mod tools also open up a lot of Hacks as well? BC2 does have hacks, but so far they have been rather hard to notice except when the game first came out. As of now I really haven't seen any but I am sure they are out there.

??? Go to youtube. Take you about 2 seconds to find a shit ton of hacks. i have joined lots of servers to see the hax used like mad. The "warp the whole other team into my cross hairs + headshot hack" is probalby the worst one and most blatant.

There are many others, and with little to no tools to combat it on an admin level function - servers get totally overrun with asshats. I stopped playing. It is as bad as BF2 now...you know, the game wiht all of the commander hax, unlimited non stop drops, UAV, arty, and the infamous red name tag....all shit THAT WAS NEVER FIXED!

And now using the same engine...they will have all of the same hacks avail to the public. Awesome.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

45. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 9, 2011, 01:18 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 10:49:
I dont know why they dont just come out and say it. "No mod tools because we want you to buy our map pack DLCs".

I mean its the truth, and I sure as hell like to hear the truth more than I like lies....

Modded games are better. Period. We all talk about our fav MOD and which games we still play that they don't get money from. That pisses the hell out of them. They lose sales everytime some dude in the bastment makes a great product.

If MW games had strong mod tools - no one would ever buy the game on PC ever again.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

44. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:42 SpectralMeat

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:40:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:29:
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:24:
The scans definitely indicate that they're scrapping Commander for more squad-level orders (giving BC2's Attack/Defend orders as an example). That's a disappointment.

I think those pictures in the magazine scan are all from the single player game. Wasn't commander mode a MP feature?
If you read the article as well you'll see the pictures sort of follow the article which is describing a scene from the single player demo.

It's not in the pictures, it's when he's answering the question on Commander mode (down at the bottom of the page, the Q&A section).

"You could argue it was a great feature, but looking at the numbers you could also say that no one uses it..."

Ahh okay sorry I did not read the bottom section yet. I thought you meant the pictures were showing more of a squad based gameplay like BC2.

Steam: SpectralMeat

43. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:40 Suddenly_Dead

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:29:
The scans definitely indicate that they're scrapping Commander for more squad-level orders (giving BC2's Attack/Defend orders as an example). That's a disappointment.

I think those pictures in the magazine scan are all from the single player game. Wasn't commander mode a MP feature?
If you read the article as well you'll see the pictures sort of follow the article which is describing a scene from the single player demo.

It's not in the pictures, it's when he's answering the question on Commander mode (down at the bottom of the page, the Q&A section).

"You could argue it was a great feature, but looking at the numbers you could also say that no one uses it..."

42. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:39 Tom

I have a couple hundred hours into BC2 and have hardly ever seen obvious cheating going on, but I saw a really blatant instance of it the other day. Some punk was spawn camping a whole team on one of the Vietnam maps. As soon as someone would spawn or otherwise come into his field of view, he'd instantly headshot em with a machinegun. It was sad. But when that happens.. it's new server time.

As for commander mode. Well. I kinda miss airdropping jeeps and supply crates onto snipers, but otherwise it's not a huge loss. And a lot of whiny server admins wouldn't even let you do that. Sort of like admins in BC2 that kick you because they got Carl'd one too many times. Time to man up, babies!

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:38 Verno

venomhed wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:25:
Don't mod tools also open up a lot of Hacks as well? BC2 does have hacks, but so far they have been rather hard to notice except when the game first came out. As of now I really haven't seen any but I am sure they are out there.

Mod tools don't really facilitate the development of them and the game will have hacks no matter what regardless.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:29 SpectralMeat

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:25 venomhed

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:24 Suddenly_Dead

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:14 Prez

Elessar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 12:04:
Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:07:
Ex-modders should know better than anyone how a thriving mod community can keep a game alive (and, more importantly, selling) long past its nominal 'end of life'. To not support the mod community is just stupid. Period.
Maybe 5-8 years ago, but I don't think this is as important these days. Could be wrong, but I'd wager the majority of people interested in BF3 won't hold back their purchase for lack of mod support. Myself included.

Nor will I. I would buy a good game without mod tools as I did with BC2. As to whether mod tools are unimportant, we will see. People are still playing BF2, 2142, and 1942 with the huge mod repositories for each. Will BC2 still have thriving communities as long? I'm doubting it. Or BF3 for that matter, for all the lame excuses are simply a build-up to the definitive "no mod tools" announcement that will follow the game's release.

At any rate, like Verno said, it doesn't have to be a deal-breaker for it to be considered a bad decision. Coming from a studio made up solely of people who got their jobs because of the mod scene, it almost seems hypocritical in a way.

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:36:
As far as I know UE3 doesn't use any middleware or libraries that aren't owned by EPIC

Tons, actually. And the licenses allow for modding with no issue.

And UDK allows all (or almost all) of these, including SpeedTree, for absolutely no money exchanged between any parties.

Like I said; lame excuses. "But it's HARD!!!" is usually the next one, followed by, "If it's so easy why don't YOU make a game/ game engine/SDK!!"

Typical crap.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:12 Suddenly_Dead

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:36:
As far as I know UE3 doesn't use any middleware or libraries that aren't owned by EPIC

Tons, actually. And the licenses allow for modding with no issue.

And UDK allows all (or almost all) of these, including SpeedTree, for absolutely no money exchanged between any parties.

I didn't know SpeedTree was included, that's spiffy. I need to play around with UDK when I've got time. UnrealScript doesn't look too bad, and it can hook into DLLs if necessary.

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:08 Verno

Elessar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:52:
Just because you want it and they don't include it, doesn't make it a bad decision.

The reasons why mod support is a good thing are numerous and have been covered many times over in the past. You can make an argument why it's a bad decision for EA financially(although there are holes in that even) but for the user it can only be a good thing overall.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:06 SpectralMeat

We will see by the sound of it they've learned from BC2 and for BF3 they have twice the manpower working on the game than they had on BC2. Just like any other PC game this will definitely have problems when it releases, but as long as they address the issues quickly I am fine with it.

Really looking forward to demo/beta test.

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:04 WyldKat

We don't WANT "dumbed down" tools you freaking idiots! Seriously... when you look at all the amazing and fantastic total conversions that came out of this, according to EA "dipshit modding community", for BF2 you have to stop and ask yourself why the fuck would EA not only say we're not getting mod tools but to call in to question the communities capabilities just blows me away.

I HIGHLY doubt the tools for this FPS shooter engine is more complex than the massive CRPG engines of Fallout 3/NV/Oblivion or the upcoming Skyrim.

What's the real reason? They want to whore their DLC.

EA/DICE, you can take that DLC and take this game and shove it up your leprous ass.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 14:03 Elessar

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:41:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 13:29:
http://tinyurl.com/49693tc

If those are in game images where you can see the HUD then this game will look absolutely mind blowing ! That picture where the building is collapsing with the sign on the side of it just looks unbelievable.
I hope that's the case, but if it is, my mind will be blown for a different reason. I don't consider DICE to be a top tier developer, based purely on initial product quality and community interaction. BC2 was a mess when it was first released, some of the shit that made it past beta (after repeated reports from testers) was amateur. Server disconnects, a defunct server browser, busted friends functionality, etc. After they patched it up, all was well and it turned out to be a AAA title. So we'll see what they come up with, but DICE has had it's hand in a lot of stuff lately, so I'll be surprised if BF3 is "ready" come release.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo