Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

XSReviews.co.uk - Ooh Shiny - Why DLC is treating gamers like idiots.
I have a problem with Downloadable Content. I've got to get it out there, it's one of my biggest bug bears. What once was a developer wanting to increase the life of it's hard worked on product, has now become a pursuit of another revenue stream, a way to milk more cash from already strapped gamers. Titbits and additives, another map, another hat, a prettier weapon, all things that are now charged for in what has become abbreviated and boiled down to one thing: DLC.

Bitmob - Don't be a dickwolf at PAX East next month.
My concern is that PAX East 2011 will be populated by Penny Arcade fans proudly flying the dickwolves' colors. I would not be surprised if we saw large congregations of Dickwolves Standard Bearers marching through the halls to defend their “right” to be insensitive unless someone tries to defuse this mess. And I have little doubt that the people who are against what they perceive those shirts to mean are going to have something to say about that.

World of Darkness News - Where have all the GM's gone?
Now the last few modern MMO's I played were Age of Conan & Star Trek Online. If this sampling is like all the other newish MMO's out there it's a sad state. Not only are live events (side note: If the setting of AoC does not warrant any live events then that indeed is not only short sighted but a sad state of affairs) non-existent on these games but clearly the hands off approach is not working. Seems developers think they can substitute a GM with repetitive scripted quests. So.. hows those sub numbers proving your theory Mr. Developer?

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 10:43 DrEvil

Cutter must have had a bad experience as an alter boy or something. Rape certainly is something to joke about, however bad taste one might perceive those jokes. Nothing is above ridicule, not rape, not religion, nothing. Your bullshit threats of violence for exercising free speech is laughable, especially the part "...in my right to be an asshole too and kick their fucking teeth in". Surely even a retard(speaking of 'sensitive' words) like you realizes that no such right exists. Even more pathetic is that you think physically attacking someone is a reasonable response to someone wearing something that you find offensive. I'm grossly offended by such a mindless rape of the first amendment, but a threat of violence is ludicrous no matter how offended.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 07:02 Prez

I just remembered that while playing BC2 last week, I said to my teammates that we were getting 'ass-raped' because the other team was dominating us in every way imaginable. (Okay, not EVERY way... )

I guess I do support the "rape culture".

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

46. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 04:54 InBlack

I thank Satan every day for South Park.

Cutter....BRING IT!!

I have a nifty blue line!

45. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 02:55 Prez

I'm sorry - but I cannot stop making jokes about, pertaining to, or otherwise associated with genitals.  

44. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 01:50 Jerykk

In order to prevent possible offense, the following topics are no longer acceptable for use in any humorous context:

- Nazis
- Communists
- Murder
- Death
- Theft
- Burglary
- Genitals
- Extortion
- Bribery
- Torture
- Racism
- Copyright infringement
- Violence

Wait, I think Cutter already condoned violence in his last post. I'm deeply offended and demand an apology. Thousands of men, women, children and animals are the victims of violence every day. It is no laughing matter. God forbid anyone you know ever have their head bashed into a wall repeatedly. Show some respect, please.

For what it's worth, getting your head bashed into a wall repeatedly is probably going to result in more trauma (physical and mental) than being raped.

43. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 01:30 Wowbagger_TIP

For you little fucking morons around here that think this is simply a free speech issue you need to repeatedly bash your head into a wall untill some sense gets knocked into it. God forbid anyone you know ever gets raped but if their comes a day it happens you'll be singing a very different tune. Show some goddamned respect for the victims out their you dumb fucks.
Right. Rape should never be mentioned in any context outside of a Lifetime movie. Cutter says he'll kick your teeth in otherwise. Hope he doesn't go to prison for that. Sorry, but people don't have a right to not be offended. If we did, most everyone on TV would be yanked off the air.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

42. Re: Op Ed Feb 9, 2011, 01:19 Bhruic

No. That's only true if the content was made at no cost to the studio(read: never). If few enough people bought DLC that they couldn't at least pay for the development time of the content and some profit, they wouldn't do it.

Yes. Because if you read the original post, it said: "It used to be free until the pubs realized people would pay freakin' $15 for four maps." If they were making it for free, then obviously the cost of making it doesn't factor into it at all. Now if you want to make an argument about free DLC extending the life of a game, or generating developer goodwill, by all means, do so. But arguing that previously free DLC wouldn't get made because they wouldn't pay for it is just obviously wrong.

41. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 00:55 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 22:45:
Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 18:44:
Why do so many people not understand the difference between protected speech and free speech. America doesn't have free speech, it has protected speech. Learn the difference.

As for assholes like Mike Krahulik, he's clearly never known anyone who's been raped. It is not a subject for jest in any way, shape, or form. Any asshole that thinks it is should be thrown into prison for a few days as a party favour the guys there and then see if they feel like kidding about it afterward.

Brilliant troll cutter.

Ending your "never joke about rape" rant with a joke about rape.

Worship

I'm illustrating a point that it's nothing to joke about, so shut the fuck up. If I see anyone wearing one of these things because they think it's funny and they have a right to be an asshole, than I'm going to engage in my right to be an asshole too and kick their fucking teeth in. And I don't give a shit if this guy started Child's Play that doesn't excuse for one goddamned second making light about rape. I'm sure there were many members of the SS who were pretty charitble but it sure didn't do anyone in the concentration camps any good, did it? For you little fucking morons around here that think this is simply a free speech issue you need to repeatedly bash your head into a wall untill some sense gets knocked into it. God forbid anyone you know ever gets raped but if their comes a day it happens you'll be singing a very different tune. Show some goddamned respect for the victims out their you dumb fucks.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

40. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 23:20 Jerykk

As for assholes like Mike Krahulik, he's clearly never known anyone who's been raped. It is not a subject for jest in any way, shape, or form.

Who decides the criteria for what's joke-able? Can you make jokes about Nazis? Murder? Theft? Torture? Extortion? Racism?

It always strikes me as humorous that feminists are so offended by any mention of rape. Rape is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. Not even close. Dying, for example, is a lot worse than rape, yet it is joked about on a regular basis, with nary a criticism from feminists. No, the reason why feminists treat rape like the most heinous of acts is because it's the only one that's predominantly committed against women. It has nothing to do with the severity of the act or the long-term impact, as there are countless crimes that carry far more significant repercussions. If you're going to complain about rape, you should also complain about every other cruel act a person can perform.

Bottom line is that your personal opinions on any given subject are exactly that; personal. You should not expect others to share your opinions or even respect them. Why would anyone respect an opinion that they disagree with on a fundamental basis? Sure, they can claim they respect it but they're really just trying to avoid conflict. I find it profoundly offensive that over 10 million people buy CoD every year but I don't protest in front of Gamestop and demand that they apologize to me. Why? Because there's no reason for them to. They enjoy CoD and my disdain for the series doesn't change that fact. Why should they respect my opinion just because I tell them to?

39. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 22:45 Sepharo

Why do so many people not understand the difference between protected speech and free speech. America doesn't have free speech, it has protected speech. Learn the difference.

As for assholes like Mike Krahulik, he's clearly never known anyone who's been raped. It is not a subject for jest in any way, shape, or form. Any asshole that thinks it is should be thrown into prison for a few days as a party favour the guys there and then see if they feel like kidding about it afterward.

Brilliant troll cutter.

Ending your "never joke about rape" rant with a joke about rape.

Worship

38. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 22:42 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 15:28:
elefunk wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 15:19:
Good writeup of the whole "dickwolf" thing here. Very few people are actually upset with the cartoon. It's all about the response that followed it and how douchey people were being douches.

Thanks, that was an interesting read. PA is funny at times but I think people forget how incredibly arrogant and smarmy they can be too. I'm not surprised to see they turned this one around on themselves by trying to be clever about it.

Sounds to me like it boiled down to people wanting to make rape a banned word.

Not a big fan of banning words. In fact I find the whole process to be a niggardly retardant in the exercise of our freedom of expression.

37. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 19:54 space captain

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 19:29:
it doesn't make you special,

the problem is that those thoughts and feelings arent conscious in such people - so they have no control over them, or any understanding of why they exist in the first place

they are like cattle in that way - herded around by forces beyond their control or understanding... and yet they still serve a purpose anyway

Go forth, and kill!

36. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 19:29 Prez

This whole thing has to be one of the stupidest controversies I've ever heard of. Anyone offended by the cartoon, rape victim or not, is simply not fit for any sort of social interaction whatsoever, as it will surely make them cry. Anyone offended by the ensuing response needs to get over themselves and stop using their personal tragedies as a crutch and expect the world to bend for their poor selves. Life sucks; everyone gets dealt a shit hand sooner or later. Some shittier than others, but it doesn't make you special, or entitled to expect the world change to suit you. Learn to deal, and be stronger for it. or lock yourself in your house and watch Nick at Nite for the rest of your lives.

I don't mean to be callous; I am just SO GODDAMMED SICK of people who expect special treatment because they, for whatever reason, can't cope with everyday life.

EDIT: And to save everyone the trouble: Yes, I know, I'm an insensitive asshole who should die in a fire. Blah, blah, blah...

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 19:38.

35. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 19:20 PHJF

If you're in a bar and making a cancer joke and suddenly hear crying, turn around and see the bald-headed kid nearby looking at you and sobbing, do you scream "it's a joke, get over it!" Or do you apologize, feel like an idiot for a while, and get on with your life?

You ask the kid what the fuck he's doing in a bar and then yell at him to go play Nintendo.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 19:17 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 18:56:
If you're in a bar and making a cancer joke and suddenly hear crying, turn around and see the bald-headed kid nearby looking at you and sobbing, do you scream "it's a joke, get over it!" Or do you apologize, feel like an idiot for a while, and get on with your life?

You don't understand the difference between going into a bar and overhearing a joke that offends you, and going to a web site of your own free will and being offended by the crude humor that they've used on that same site for years?

As for assholes like Mike Krahulik

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

Oh yeah, what an asshole. What has he ever done for anyone.

33. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 19:17 DrEvil

Getting offended at merely using the word rape in a comic strip about imaginary game character questing is fucking stupid, victim or not. People who are in the business of mocking everything should not have to apologize for shit like that. Nobody finds it funny, implied or otherwise that there are rape victims, but the strip wasn't about mocking rape or the victims specifically, it was about lame MMO quest design. People surely have the right to express their disapproval of certain strips, but this one deserves no special treatment in the 'clarifying' and mocking response they followed up with.  

32. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 18:56 Beamer

Meh, they're rude, but it seems directed at the people/person who thought they were joking about rape victims

But this all stemmed from a rape victim, so it comes across as very much directed at her.

Simply being a rape victim means she should get some degree of respect in this area. You apologize, back away slowly, and move on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 18:48 Tumbler

pretty much made a joke of rape victims.
Way to go, Penny Arcade.
And the reaction from fans?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/8/13/

Meh, they're rude, but it seems directed at the people/person who thought they were joking about rape victims. It lacks respect for sure, but that seems reasonable when someone is basically saying, "So rape is just no big deal to you hunh!? It's just a joke!?" Like a crazy person walks up to you at a bar and starts screaming at you about something they heard you say from a few tables away. You're going to stand up and apologize and beg forgiveness?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

30. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 18:44 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

29. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 18:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 18:11:
The problem isn't that the first comic was triggering, as I don't think it was particularly offensive and I don't think you can necessarily foresee any mention of the word as triggering, but the response pretty much made a joke of rape victims.
No, the response made a joke of people who tried to turn some passing mention of rape into a major offense that required apologies from PA and the removal of the strip. There's a difference.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo