Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Disabled Gamer Petition

This Video Game Custom Button Remapping Petition implores game designers to offer more options for remapping controls in console and PC games. One reason is to suit more players' preferences, but more compelling is that this was started by a disabled gamer who is unable to play Dead Space 2 due to the inability to map the move forward command to a mouse button, which would allow him to play the game using his head. This got started on AskACapper.com and there are more details on the Overclockers UK Forums. Thanks Mike.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 20:18 Sepharo

The fact of the matter remains that you're still binding the same amount of keys. Only your hand positioning keeps you away from more non-core binding possibilities as I pointed out.

edit: Didn't see Ant's post... X instead of S? Now that would make Bike's complaining about fiddling more appropriate Fine if it's related to your circumstances of course

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 20:15 Ant

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 15:04:
/inverted Y fo life.

Yep.
Me too. Ugh, I hate S for WASD. I change S to X for moving backward.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

44. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 19:51 BicycleRepairMan

Sepharo wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 17:50:
Having all movement keys at once is pretty useless, when do you need to go forward and backward at the same time (WASD has this fault as well with A and D but it doesn't also replicate it with W and S).

What do you bind alternate-fire/zoom to? And since we're using classic mappings let's assume you don't have Mouse3/4/5.

I'm only going to concede to ESDF users.

Of course you never need to go forward and backward at the same time, but its nice to be able to switch without moving fingers around, besides, holding your fingers in an arrow pattern uses more fingers for movements and only leaves pinky free.

I dont use capslock or shift. (with 2-button mouse) I use Q or A for sprinting usually and R for alt fire/zoom, F for jump, v for duck, t for use, A or Q for reload /inventory or similar. All these buttons I can use without EVER taking any fingers away from ANY of the movement keys

With more mousebuttons I use mouse4 for reload and 5 for either sprint or sneaking, depending on the game

43. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 17:50 Sepharo

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 05:09:
This isnt purely a console problem. Minecraft has the same problem, for instance. I always use RMB for moving forward, the wasd system is idiotic imo.

I use RMB forward, Space backwards and left-right with W and E. this way you can leave all movement fingers in the hover position, and it leaves 2 available fingers over Q and R as well. I dare you to try it a few days and disagree that its a more sensible system than WASD

With WASD or similar arrow-shaped movement keys, there are more fiddling, you need to move your middle finger to switch between forwards and backwards, and the pinky is left hanging above capslock/shift. Its a shit system, and I cant believe it's become the default

Your system is a shit system. You're missing out on LShift, LCtrl, Z, and X, to a lesser degree Caps Lock, C, and V as well.

Having all movement keys at once is pretty useless, when do you need to go forward and backward at the same time (WASD has this fault as well with A and D but it doesn't also replicate it with W and S).

What do you bind alternate-fire/zoom to? And since we're using classic mappings let's assume you don't have Mouse3/4/5.

I'm only going to concede to ESDF users.

42. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 17:47 Draugr

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 15:04:
/inverted Y fo life.

Yep.

Heretics!

41. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 15:12 Hoop

J wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 08:31:
Hoop wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 22:47:
This whole argument really pushes my buttons.

If only I was a console port, half my buttons would be useless & unable to be pushed.

Apparently there's software you can get which remaps the buttons that are pushed. Perhaps you could use that software so that it pushes your good buttons instead?

I did in fact try that in Mafia 2 only my virus detector thinks its a key stroke logger & has a fit!

Um .. Behind you...

40. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 15:04 nin

/inverted Y fo life.

Yep.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

39. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 14:54 Creston

necrosis wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 08:45:
Everyone is different. Hell a friend of mine has to swap vert movement on the mouse to play FPS games. AKA: push forward to look down and pull back to look up.

Wtf? Doesn't EVERYONE do that?

You blighted heathens!

/inverted Y fo life.

Creston

38. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 14:06 Drazula

As I said in my previous post, try GlovePIE. It works fine with Dead Space 2.  

37. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 11:33 Ratty

J wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 08:31:
Apparently there's software you can get which remaps the buttons that are pushed. Perhaps you could use that software so that it pushes your good buttons instead?
I tried some of those. Doesn't work. Games override any kind of programming like that. I think special keyboards can do that.

36. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 11:30 Ratty

Wow, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates WASD! I have my own little scheme I use for all my games but it only works if I can map the same movement to 2 different keys. It's a crapshoot whether or not a game will let you do that. Playing Oblivion now and it doesn't let you do it and it's damn annoying. Crysis let you do it by manually editing the config file, Crysis Warhead doesn't. I'm getting a new expensive keyboard that lets you reprogram every single key and I'm hoping that will do the trick.

As for disabled gamers it would be cool if economics allowed companies to give grants for adding disabled access to games just like they do nowdays for closed captioning on TV. A win-win for everybody.

35. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 10:55 eRe4s3r

This isnt purely a console problem. Minecraft has the same problem, for instance. I always use RMB for moving forward, the wasd system is idiotic imo.

I use RMB forward, Space backwards and left-right with W and E. this way you can leave all movement fingers in the hover position, and it leaves 2 available fingers over Q and R as well. I dare you to try it a few days and disagree that its a more sensible system than WASD

With WASD or similar arrow-shaped movement keys, there are more fiddling, you need to move your middle finger to switch between forwards and backwards, and the pinky is left hanging above capslock/shift. Its a shit system, and I cant believe it's become the default

Mhh, maybe i should try this too? its true that WSAD has the limitation that you need to cover 5 keys with 3 fingers... but at least that way you become a quick typist

34. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:49 warmbluelasers

necrosis wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 08:39:
Who needs buttons! Everyone get Kinect!

But what if I want to use my legs to move forward instead of my eyebrows?

33. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:45 necrosis

jimnms wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 05:42:

I can't stand WASD. I had a discussion on the Mafia II forums when the demo came out, which doesn't let you bind the RMB to forward. People actually got hostile with me and others that wanted custom key bindings.

Move your hand one row down and that's pretty much my setup. The standard keys I use for all games is RMB = forward, space = backwards, S and D = strafe left/right, F = jump, V = crouch, G = use/action and LSHIFT for run/walk toggle. Then I have QWERTAZXCB available for other functions. If I have to move my hand for some reason, it's easy to move back into position without having to look since the F key on most keyboards has a notch on it so touch typists know their hands are on the home row of keys.

I didn't buy Mafia II because I heard the key binding was still "broken" at release, and I don't know if they ever fixed it.
I used ASDF for a while. F=forward, D=back, S=left, A=right. But after a while I got sick of having to remap the keys. Especially when playing on friends computers (which i did a lot of at that time). Eventually moving to WASD and never looking back.

Everyone is different. Hell a friend of mine has to swap vert movement on the mouse to play FPS games. AKA: push forward to look down and pull back to look up.

32. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:41 Riker

Anything a studio can do to make a game more accessible, they should do.  

31. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:41 necrosis

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 00:17:
But unlike electricity and telephones games are a luxury entertainment product.

In case of button remapping it might just be laziness in porting but that doesn't change the fact that game makers can do whatever the heck they want. If they want to block remapping or don't care, then thats their decision and thats that. Not buying the game in question is the solution. Not making pointless petitions.

Not to mention that you can remap keys very easily - which applies for ALL games that look for a xinput*.dll (x360 controller support). So all console ports are already covered.
What about remaping the keyboard and mouse? Also not all games support the 360 controller. Or should I say the WIRELESS 360 controller.

30. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:39 necrosis

Who needs buttons! Everyone get Kinect!  

29. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:31 J

Hoop wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 22:47:
This whole argument really pushes my buttons.

If only I was a console port, half my buttons would be useless & unable to be pushed.

28. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 08:07 avianflu

'remapping' is a totally reasonable request though in reality it takes an fairly gigantic industry push to make this a standard practice.  

27. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 07:41 Burrito of Peace

I guess we should add sarcasm to the list of things that we're no longer allowed to use in posts.

That edit was absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary, especially given the text at the bottom.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo