Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GamersGate on Steam Competition

The GamersGate interview on IndustryGamers chats with Theo Bergquist, CEO of GamersGate, to discuss the present and future of digital distribution. Theo talks with them about the growing appeal of buying games via download, what GamersGate is doing to compete in this space, and more. He also expresses optimism about their ability to compete with Steam: "Once digital sales are superior to physical sales, we believe Steam will have a harder time remaining #1. We’ve led the way with many things like weekend offers, promotion programs, holiday sales, and more and they’ve followed. We believe our focus on premium customer support, a client-free experience, a robust reward program, and a DRM-friendly policy will appeal to the masses once they decide to go digital."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 21:05 Golwar

Mishaye wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:21:
It might have something to do with the values of the currencies used in the stores compared to my own currency (NOK), but most of the time, especially for newer releases, GamersGate.co.uk (£)is quite a bit cheaper for me than Steam (€). Ie, 49.99€ for a new release on Steam versus (currently) €41.18 on GamersGate.

The exception would be the various holiday sales. Steam tends to be a lot cheaper then, regardless of the less favorable currency.

I still use, and like, both though. I wanted to like Impulse too, but half the times I looked for a game there it was restricted to the US, so I gave up on it.

Nah, I spoke with Fredrik (Paradox CEO) and Shams about this. They said that it would be totally up to GG to offer the same price and deal. I also contacted GG and I was told that they would look into this ... with no result or reply since then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 13:12 Jay

GamersGate may be the only digital distribution service that has no secure login. For the longest time their checkout pages were in frames so you didn't know if it was a secure transaction or not (unless you looked at the page source).  

13. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 11:21 Mishaye

Golwar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 04:45:
GamersGate is okay, but for some reason they can't compete with Steam's prices. Which is especially emberassing when it happens with Paradox titles, as Paradox and GamersGate were once one company.

It might have something to do with the values of the currencies used in the stores compared to my own currency (NOK), but most of the time, especially for newer releases, GamersGate.co.uk (£)is quite a bit cheaper for me than Steam (€). Ie, 49.99€ for a new release on Steam versus (currently) €41.18 on GamersGate.

The exception would be the various holiday sales. Steam tends to be a lot cheaper then, regardless of the less favorable currency.

I still use, and like, both though. I wanted to like Impulse too, but half the times I looked for a game there it was restricted to the US, so I gave up on it.

12. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 04:45 Golwar

GamersGate is okay, but for some reason they can't compete with Steam's prices. Which is especially emberassing when it happens with Paradox titles, as Paradox and GamersGate were once one company.
Victoria 2 is 40€ at GG, 35€ at Steam. During the holidays both had a 50% general deal and Steam a daily deal where it even dropped to 10€.
20 vs 10€, if that is the best GG can do, they'll never be huge.

And something else that pisses me off, is their "Game Tutor" program. Not once did the person who received help, mark his issues as solved afterwards - thus the earned reward was never received.

11. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 03:29 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 01:15:
Which Steamworks games is Gamersgate selling?

Quite a few now like Metro 2033 and Dawn of War 2. Under DRM it says "third party client and account required," they don't just say "Steam" for whatever reason, I guess they see it as advertising?

Anyway, they used to get some Steamworks games a while after release with the Steam DRM removed, which was cool. Velvet Assassin is an example, as is Puzzle Quest 2. I guess they're not going to do that anymore though, which is a shame.

10. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 8, 2011, 01:15 spindoctor

Which Steamworks games is Gamersgate selling?  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

9. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 23:43 vermin

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 23:00:
I am saddened that recently GG started selling Steam games. For a while there it looked like they were going to keep getting "Steamless" versions of Steamworks games, but I guess not.

yeah, me too. a huge failure on their part. something must have happened with that recently, because just a short while ago they swore they would never sell steam games. also annoying that they don't outright print STEAM REQUIRED on the games that do require it.

8. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 23:38 Elf Shot The Food

I like GamersGate. I've probably bought about 25 or so games from them. I do like the fact they have a variety of interesting games that will probably never appear on Steam or in a North American retail store.  

7. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 23:17 Zadig

The only competitor for Steam is Amazon. They had some excellent deals in their download section over the holidays but the super prices haven't returned and the selection is still very limited compared to Steam. That's a problem for all of the 'competition', but Amazon has the clout to fix this and they're clearly not going out of business anytime soon.  

6. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 23:00 StingingVelvet

Gamersgate appeals to a particular kind of customer, like me, who does not want a client and community features and a bunch of bullshit they never use. They want a list of games and they download the one they want and install it, done. Just like GOG, really, only they allow publishers to use DRM.

I am saddened that recently GG started selling Steam games. For a while there it looked like they were going to keep getting "Steamless" versions of Steamworks games, but I guess not.

5. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 22:34 vermin

yep, gamersgate is excellent. pretty much only use gamersgate and gamesplanet these days. love these sites, as I can keep my install files and serials stored locally. I don't depend on these sites for anything after I've bought a game. I don't have any friend list co-dependency or whatever is going on with people married to steam.  

4. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 22:18 Bumpy

I find GamersGate excellent and easily buy most of my downloaded games from them. They provide many niche PC games that I like. Plus there is no umbilical cord like Steam has, just download, install and play.  

3. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 22:15 Esoteric

Competition is a good thing.  

2. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 21:53 Quboid

I think GamersGate are excellent, their service is very good and if you want, you can back up the installation files. The Steam "experience" is nice, but in principal I dislike that concept. Steam does it well. Impulse, EADM, GWFL do it badly. When different games use different ones (or in the case of GTA4, more than one!), it gets messy.

With GamersGate, you download the installation files and you're on your way. Keep the files and your serial code if you don't trust them - I agree they're not as safe as Steam, but I think they're pretty safe.

- Quboid

1. Re: GamersGate on Steam Competition Feb 7, 2011, 21:34 WyldKat

I simply don't purchase from GamersGate since I highly doubt they'll be around in 5 years, Steam however will be and I'll always be able to reinstall my purchases.

Steam's sales also blow anything I've seen from other online download companies out of the water.

Steam is also a much more integrated experience, almost "console" like in its easiness to join friends for games, groups, etc.

If anyone can compete with Steam it's perhaps Impulse, but then I only used that to buy a Stardock game.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo