Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"I'm not going to make the same mistake I made last year. The lesson I learned is to NEVER UNDERESTIMATE ROCKSTAR." -- Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 15:18 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 22:43:
Well, it was the biggest mistake he made.
But he wasn't the only one making it. We all thought RDR was going to be a bug-filled piece of garbage that would flop. Turns out it was a bug-filled piece of amazing that crushed. We all thought Rockstar San Diego was going to fold.

Actually we kind of don't know the status out there.

But man, were most of us wrong there.

I've always thought that RDR was going to be fucking amazing, and it WAS fucking amazing. As for bugs, the only bug I consistently get is that the faces of the poker players lose their normal maps (or whatever), and they revert to bland polygonated flats.

Why people like Pachter assumed it was going to suck is beyond me. It's never looked anything BUT amazing.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 11:26 space captain

Eggheart wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 06:58:
I was about to point out the flaws of your argument, but then you said case closed, so I guess I lost.

yeh but he didnt say CASE CLOSED, so you should keep going

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 07:42 warmbluelasers

space captain wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 22:06:
all caps means he is TOTALLY SERIOUS YOU GUYS

or he is CRUISING IN COOL

15. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 07:35 Beamer

What mistake did he make about RDR/Rockstar? Did he predict it would fail in sales or something?

Yeah.
The game was millions over budget and not really coming together. Employees were whispering about how it was nowhere near ready and a complete mess, Rockstar was whispering about just pulling the plug on the whole damn thing, and Pachter came out and said the game needed to sell 4 million copies just to break even and had no chance in hell.

It was an easy prediction and, unlike many of his predictions right or wrong, not many really argued with it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 06:58 Eggheart

I was about to point out the flaws of your argument, but then you said case closed, so I guess I lost.

Anyway, he gets a lot of hate from gamers, but I like that he exists - the Bonus Round's without him are not as enjoyable for me.

13. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 06:55 Golwar

Well stockholders want to make money. You make money with recognizing the next big new vision before everyone else is on board too ... case closed.  

12. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 06:45 Eggheart

Yeah, he's made some obvious stuff ups, that's all part of the prediction game - it's more fun to point out his wrong predictions than his right ones though. He has an audience for a reason; people like listening to him and discussing his opinion.

And I don't think that estimating a trend for the future in order to inform the stockholders is the same as having a vision about improving the industry.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 06:55.

11. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 06:10 Golwar

Eggheart wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 05:18:
I'm not sure why you think it's his job to have a vision about how to improve the industry.

Because it is his job as an analyst to register the future of the business before it is a commonly known trend?
Its my impression that he only doesn't fail when he states the obvious status quo, in most other cases he just guesses blindly (and fails).
Latest example would be the PSP2/NGP, where he claimed to know that it would fail - while we registered now that he knew absolutely nothing about its unique features. So maybe it will indeed fail, but Pachter knows nothing.

10. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 05:18 Eggheart

Golwar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 04:54:
You like his opinion that the multiplayer part of FPS should require subscribtions?
I have yet to see something remarkable that he said, a real and solid vision that improves anything in this industry. But he is an ace in trolling, I'll leave him that.

Yes, I like his opinion that multiplayer should require subscriptions. Not because I agree, but because I like to know what the financial people at Activision are probably thinking. He looks at the industry from a particular point of view that is alien to me (I think in terms of gameplay, fun and player satisfaction, like most gamers), and I find it interesting to see how the people who invest the money think. I'm not sure why you think it's his job to have a vision about how to improve the industry.

9. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 04:54 Golwar

Eggheart wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 21:48:
This man gets so much hate... but I've always liked Pachter. I appreciate his views on the industry.

You like his opinion that the multiplayer part of FPS should require subscribtions?
I have yet to see something remarkable that he said, a real and solid vision that improves anything in this industry. But he is an ace in trolling, I'll leave him that.

8. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 02:14 Eggheart

Sepharo wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 21:53:
Pachter found.

edit: Aww, you're definetly not Pachter but nice cake computer.

Hah, thanks. Good fun making it for a competition that I didn't win, but who needs prizes when you've got cake.

re: Predictions - I was thinking the same thing about LA Noir (that it would be an unfinished buggy mess), but seeing that recent facial animation trailer gives me new hope. With enough money pumped into something you can correct all manner of potential disasters.

7. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 8, 2011, 01:37 spindoctor

What mistake did he make about RDR/Rockstar? Did he predict it would fail in sales or something?  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 7, 2011, 22:43 Beamer

Well, it was the biggest mistake he made.
But he wasn't the only one making it. We all thought RDR was going to be a bug-filled piece of garbage that would flop. Turns out it was a bug-filled piece of amazing that crushed. We all thought Rockstar San Diego was going to fold.

Actually we kind of don't know the status out there.

But man, were most of us wrong there.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 7, 2011, 22:06 space captain

all caps means he is TOTALLY SERIOUS YOU GUYS  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 7, 2011, 21:53 Sepharo

Eggheart wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 21:48:
This man gets so much hate... but I've always liked Pachter. I appreciate his views on the industry.

Pachter found.

edit: Aww, you're definetly not Pachter but nice cake computer.

3. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 7, 2011, 21:48 Eggheart

2. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 7, 2011, 21:30 Cutter

Like he only made a single mistake? LOL! Whenever I think of Pachter and the BS he spews I always think of old Obi Wan, "Who's more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 7, 2011, 21:21 nin

Gimmie gimmie LA Noire!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo