Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Rift Open Beta Event Next Week

Trion Worlds announces that a six-day "Telara the Merciless" open beta testing event for Rift will commence on February 15th, offering the chance to check out their upcoming MMORPG before it officially goes live on March 1st. Players can sign up here for a guaranteed spot in the beta, and those interested in participating in the Rift head start beginning February 24 can preorder the game here. Here's word:

On February 15th Trion will lift the veil on their upcoming MMORPG Rift™ with a six-day open beta event, giving all would-be Defiants and Guardians the opportunity to preview the epic world of Telara before the game launches worldwide on March 1st. Servers are scheduled to be open from 10 AM PST on Tuesday, February 15th to 10 AM PST on Monday, February 21st, giving users a taste of Telara, including two playable factions, the first 42 levels of play, three PvP warfronts, and several zones and dungeons to explore.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 8, 2011, 22:04 Sepharo

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 05:41:
Remember my words...fail or free to play!

Is this not the lifecycle of every MMO?

Man up and give us a date.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 8, 2011, 05:41 AnointedSword

Remember my words...fail or free to play!  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

16. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 8, 2011, 00:07 ColoradoHoudini

Absolutely loving Rift in nearly every way..
Last night a ton of us were world PvPing (Scarwood), riftchasing, fighting off invasions.. just awesome stuff.. never a dull moment, lots of rewards, lots of dying and laughing.

Tons of class options makes me actually want to try most of them.. the spec swapping, the way this title gets everything nearly perfect in presentation and usability.. I'm sold.

15. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 20:30 Avecrien

I was surprised by how much I've enjoyed the beta. It boils down to priorities in what you're looking for, I suppose. For me, class customization to make what I want to play comes first, solid dungeons come second. Rift nailed those. Its not a perfect game. They have horrible voice acting/cut-scenes and the quests were old a decade ago. Targeting is also problematic. They need a dual target system like Warhammer, shouldn't be a problem since they are fairly similar. I really wish they had /face for targeted opponents too.

I had no problems with graphics or lag, no moonwalking. I crashed once on a previous build of the beta. It's the most stable MMO beta I have ever seen. And possibly the most fleshed out.

14. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 20:16 Cheese

enjoying Champions too much but I might check this out later.  

13. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 20:15 Nate

Nighthawk wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 14:03:
I'm not impressed with it.
The graphics are good, but there's too much taken from WoW, and it comes off as trying too hard.

Rift not being original enough is easily agreed.

"comes off as trying too hard", I'm not even sure what your saying there. You want them to release a sloppy mess of a game?

Anyway. I've already purchased Rift, but thats only because Guild Wars 2 doesn't look like it will release anytime soon.

12. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 19:49 gradbot

I've been in a number of different betas and they're usually a good tell of what's to come. I'm enjoying Rift so far and I'm quite excited for the release. There isn't anything revolutionary about it. It's just fun! As far as I can tell they have just executed many things really well (polish!) The graphics are pretty good and I've not noticed any lag even in heavily populated areas.

I think Rift is going to be a lot of fun when it comes out. The real challenge for it will be adding content at a fast enough rate to keep people interested.

11. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 19:46 RaZ0r!

I had a beta key from way back and I had no plans to mess with it. An old guild mate back from my DAOC days said I should check it out. I was stunned that I ended up playing it most of the last beta weekend. Not sure I'm sold on it, but that's farther then I've gotten with a lot of MMOs since the old days.  

10. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 19:34 Alamar

I am really enjoying Rift. I've played in the last two betas, so yes, my excitement is partially based on seeing new stuff, and not getting enough access to it : )

I am a big fan of options, choices, and versatility, and that's one way this game excels. In some ways, it's also a downside, since so many people are stuck 'in their ways'.

But let me explain; The game has only 4 classes... OMG, only FOUR classes? heh

Once you've picked your class, you enter the game, and are introduced to 8 'souls', which is basically a skill/ability/talent tree, and putting points in these trees unlocks those abilities/modifications, as well as 'root' abilities earned for having set # of points in the tree. But wait, there's more... You can have 3 such souls at a time, which, unfortunately, adds a lot of complexity for new players, but also adds a LOT of choices for experienced players.

Also, as you level, or rather, when you get to the city and grab the appropriate quests, you unlock the other souls, which is useful for when you buy other 'roles' (dual spec, or rather, quad spec, since you can have 4). This allows you to have a PvE DPS Spec, a PvP Spec, and a tank or heal spec depending on your class, which moves on the next point...

Rogues (which includes stealth melee, bow/gun ranged, and the ever awesome saboteur) can also be a tank... Their tanking dynamic is very different than the others (mostly warriors, but also a cleric spec)... And, mages can spec for healing with one of their trees... And to just include the others, warriors can be a tank (shocker!) or melee dps... Clerics are the druids from wow, and include melee dps, ranged dps, tanking and healing.

Anyhow, that's the technical shit, which I personally enjoy... Beyond that, it has a new storyline, some say original, others not... Who cares, try it out and see what you like or don't...

In the end, it's a massive, so it has all the things in the genre.

Anyhow, that was long enough... Now that it's an open beta, try it out, see what you think... And pick up ranger if you're a rogue, or elementalist if you're a mage... Both have a tanker pet at 0 pts, and will really help make life reasonable : )

-Skane

Edit: Meant to add, rift.zam.com has a nice 'soul builder' if you want to check the skills out... And yes, some abilities overlap, and you won't use EVERYTHING, especially root abilities, in your 'rotation', but those that think about it, can figure out why that is : )

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 19:41.

9. Re: Mythos Closed Beta Nears Feb 7, 2011, 19:18 Fion

I was in the last beta and once I found a 'class' I enjoyed I quite liked the game. The animations are rather weak and you move and fight 'really' slow but that might just be that I've been playing DCUO where out of combat you travel at least ten times faster than the average MMOG at at most about 50 times faster (upgraded superspeed is insane lol).

It's absolutely in the vein of WoW, Warhammer, LotRO, Aion but if thats what you like and you are just plain sick of WoW (or WoW 1.8.. aka Cataclysm) it is perhaps the best of that group.

Me personally, I'm fed up with WoW style games (EQ clones), which is why I'm playing DCUO. Fast paced, you gain something every single time you level, the gameplay is an entirely different style. It isn't a 'I'll be playing this for 6 years' game but it certainly will hold me over until something else that is more unique than EQ clones comes along.

Unfortunately there aren't very many of that kind of MMOG (sandbox, not quest driven, real time combat, etc) made these days. The soonest ones I can think of that 'might' be of this style are The Secret World and the World of Darkness MMOG, both some years off unfortunately.

8. Re: Mythos Closed Beta Nears Feb 7, 2011, 18:31 HorrorScope

Combat and movement felt to0 slow, lead to bordem, which lead to pain, which lead to THE DARK SIDE(tm)! Another mmo pass.  

7. Re: Mythos Closed Beta Nears Feb 7, 2011, 16:16 Talisorn

I've heard this referred to as Everhammer of the Aionringcraft. I've played it and I have to agree ... but in a good way. They have taken a lot of the good gameplay elements from other MMOs (so what else is new in MMO land) and put their own lick of paint on it. An then they layered their own setting/campaign over it, which has some very interesting ideas ... of which the dynamic inter-planar invasion is the most interesting; it's what Horizons PROMISED but never delivered.

On top of that, it's far more stable and polished than a lot of games are put out in release nowadays.

It's not a next gen-MMO. But it is fun. I think this one has legs to run with for quite some time.

6. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 16:12 PropheT

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 14:33:
It plays more like Warhammer: online... If you call the graphics good when you see models moonwalk or slide rather than walk, you are way too easily pleased. We can try to deny peoples opinions by projecting what someone else thinks upon them, but there opinions are still of value for people with an open mind.

If you don't like the game that's perfectly fine, it won't be for everyone.

But plain and simple, there are no moonwalking or sliding or animation problems. The game plays fluidly and animations are excellent; they've improved dramatically from beta 3 to beta 5 (the most recent) and are at the very least on par with anything else out there.

I love the Rifts, because of them I've never once been bored playing this. PvP warfronts are reminiscent of Warhammer, but that's a good thing to me; Warhammer's problems were never that its PvP was bad. It has everything, and it all gels well.

To each his own I suppose, but I love playing this game and unlike anything else in the last five years it's ready for release. I personally haven't enjoyed an MMO like this since EQ was new, it's awesome.

5. Re: Mythos Closed Beta Nears Feb 7, 2011, 15:39 Killswitch

AnointedSword wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 14:33:
If you call the graphics good when you see models moonwalk or slide rather than walk, you are way too easily pleased.

I've played in the last 3 betas and not sure what you mean by the models sliding or moonwalking. The only thing that seemed off to me was the mount animation seemed too fast for the speed at which they travel. I haven't seen anything unusual happening as far as the player models. Anyway, graphics and animations are two different things.

4. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 14:33 AnointedSword

I totally disagree with people that say this game plays like wow. It plays more like Warhammer: online... If you call the graphics good when you see models moonwalk or slide rather than walk, you are way too easily pleased. We can try to deny peoples opinions by projecting what someone else thinks upon them, but there opinions are still of value for people with an open mind.

The Rifts are fun for the first 10 or 20 times, after that the battles are old. The PVP is so boring I about went sleep. People that played Warhammer will recognize a lot in this game...If you loved Warhammer, you will love this game (good luck). I do have to say that the models are better than WArhammer (thank God), but the animation is still lacking. With that said, good try by the devs... but this will either totally fail or go free to play within a year or so...You have been warned!

3. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 14:05 Bhruic

Rip-off or not, what they've got is quite polished. Unlike many "recent" MMO releases, it's not an unfinished, buggy mess. Now if this type of game isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, but if you enjoy a good MMO, Rift looks like it'll be quite decent.  

2. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 14:03 Nighthawk

I'm not impressed with it.
The graphics are good, but there's too much taken from WoW, and it comes off as trying too hard.

1. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 7, 2011, 13:55 AnointedSword

I like the open beta idea. I think it is brave, but I do not think this game has what it takes to live a long healthy life. There are many elements to graphics, animation is key factor as well (remember this devs). The player must seem fluid and controllable. I also think having the same types of pets for everybody is so 90s people. If you want to try and say you are a WoW killer, at least be on par with what Wow did 5 years ago...

P.S. Trust me, I am not a WoW fanboy, I am soooo waiting for someone to step up and be that WoW killer.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 14:03.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo