Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DC Universe Online Price Break

The DC Universe Online Website has word on a "legend pricing" deal on three-month subscriptions for SOE's superhero MMORPG that will give players a 25% discount off the regular price. They will begin offering the deal on Tuesday, and players must sign on before their 30-day free trial ends or March 1, 2011, whichever comes first. Thanks Voodoo Extreme.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 7, 2011, 16:21 kanniballl

If this was being offered after month 3 or 4, I'd be more concerned (red).

Considering we're still within the first month I'm just cautious (yellow).

Imagine this, game got released and on release day they made the offer. It wouldn't be a sure-sign of defeat, it would be the same as the whole Lifetime subscription that Champions Online and Lord of the Rings offered.

With it being in the first month, it might as well be the first day. If it was after Month 3 or so it would be a sign of "We've hemoraged all of our players. HELLLP!"

Now, I'm not saying I have the warm-and-fuzzies about this offer. It could also be a sign that their PR and Research guys are saying "too many people are jumping ship"

But it could also just be something to entice people to stay on. Especially since so many PS3 players are confused about the concept of a "monthly fee for a single MMO."

Personally I think this game would be better off as a Free-To-Play. Especially on the PS3.

It's FUN, but I not everyone likes running raids and alerts as the ed-game content.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 7, 2011, 10:45 NewMaxx

For those discussing WoW's initial content:

I played on a server included in the first wave of new servers after launch. It was months before we could do a lot of things (Strat, Scholo, BRS, etc.) in groups reliably, and six months or more before MC was a reality. I hit 60 quite quickly, but the last few levels required me to grind. Needless to say, I had nothing to do for quite a few months. So saying there was plenty of content is kind of a mixed argument (as much of what they did have required groups that weren't, and I ran out of solo content before 60), but personally I helped people run lower level content for many months, simply out of boredom.

That being said, my comment on DCUO is that...well, I avoid any MMO that involves SOE. This is clearly a consoley, actiony MMO at that, so double so. It might be fun for a short stretch though, but lack of content is not a new problem for the genre as a whole. WoW or otherwise.

20. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 7, 2011, 08:43 necrosis

I played the beta on PS3. All I can say is man, it feels like a single player console game with some online stuff. It feels nothing like a MMO, tho its his probably because of how dumbed down the mechanics are.  

19. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 7, 2011, 08:41 kimbambaman

So is there a pool going on how long it will take DCUO to go F2P?  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

18. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 7, 2011, 07:25 Fibrocyte

Saying WoW didn't have a lot to do at release is simply not true. It had plenty to do which is why it held a huge playerbase for so long.

The problem with new MMOs is you can rarely even compare them to vanilla WoW.

Is DCUO really as big as Kalimdore and Eastern Kingdoms combined with as many unique instances as WoW had at release?

17. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 7, 2011, 04:17 Flatline

Wetworks wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 21:21:
Wow had a fair amount of content when it was released. There were tons of 5 man dungeons to grind gear and collect your blue armor set. 5 man Scholomance, Lower BlackRock Spire, Upper Blackrock Spire, Stratholme, Blackrock Depths, etc... And this was when clearing scholomance took 3 hours, and you had to complete a long quest chain just to unlock Upper Blackrock Spire. Not many people had ubrs key.

They also had Onyxia and Molten Core when the game was released.

It's irrelevant comparing an MMO launch today with what WoW did or didn't have at launch.

Simply put, any MMO that comes out today with a traditional subscription plan has to deal with WoW in it's current state, and has to offer value comparable to WoW. Which is nigh-on impossible pure and simple.

The obvious solution is: Don't compete with WoW. Offer something different. Offer a different (easier?) revenue model like free to play, offer a game that doesn't consist of level and equipment treadmills, or something else (like Eve Online's single, coherent server).

But that requires risk and innovation. Getting a slice of that sweet, sweet jaded WoW player pie is easy at launch. It's player retention that is the real f*cker for these games. MMOs need to accept that they'll probably have subscribers in the 100,000 range. If they're really lucky, they might hit 500,000. It'll be rare if they push a million subscribers. They need a revenue model that can support those numbers, or they need to come up with a different revenue system, or they need to just stay out of the game.

16. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 21:21 Wetworks

Wow had a fair amount of content when it was released. There were tons of 5 man dungeons to grind gear and collect your blue armor set. 5 man Scholomance, Lower BlackRock Spire, Upper Blackrock Spire, Stratholme, Blackrock Depths, etc... And this was when clearing scholomance took 3 hours, and you had to complete a long quest chain just to unlock Upper Blackrock Spire. Not many people had ubrs key.

They also had Onyxia and Molten Core when the game was released.

15. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 19:25 Zadig

I played Warcraft in 2005 and it had enormous amounts of content compared to what EQ and Anarchy Online had in their first year. I've tried a few of the clones and they offered less than WoW (Lotro had no "Horde") but still copied all the bad ideas - simplified game mechanics and pointless leveling that eventually turns most of the areas into ghost towns.  

14. Re: I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 18:09 Fion

Despite what a lot are saying, this game is doing extremely well. There is a very solid amount of end game content (several raids, dailies, feat advancement, PvP, duos, hard mode alerts, you name it). On the 15th a new raid, duo, hard alert and PvP arena are being added (the first content patch that should hit about once a month).

I really don't think SoE is worried. The game obviously won't be a WoW killer but success is within their grasp.

Folks saying there is no end game or that the PvP isn't balanced clearly haven't played the game or gave it an hour before screaming for a refund.

13. Re: I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 17:25 Tumbler

You could level to 60, and do some trade skills. That's it. I was so bored I quit after 2 months. Arenas, nope. Battlegrounds, nope. Armor sets, nope. Raids, nope. Yes I've gone back to WoW, years after release when it finally had a lot of endgame content. But at release? Simply no.

I believe they had 8 different classes to level to 60, each with their own starting area and storyline to follow? So while your experience taking a single class to 60 may have felt lacking towards the end I believe there was considerably more content to experience in the world. I could be wrong but that is what is looked like to me.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 16:59 JohnBirshire

Uh...WoW had a lot to do when it first came out.

Simply not true.

You could level to 60, and do some trade skills. That's it. I was so bored I quit after 2 months. Arenas, nope. Battlegrounds, nope. Armor sets, nope. Raids, nope. Yes I've gone back to WoW, years after release when it finally had a lot of endgame content. But at release? Simply no.

If you want to flame a game for lack of content at release, that is legitimately fine. If you want to flame a game for lack of content at release while simultaneously mentioning WoW's release, that's hypocritical.

WoW has a lot to do...after 11 years. *development plus additions since release* People expecting new MMO's to match it on release day is downright asinine.

11. Re: I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 16:53 Tumbler

This is something a lot of people forget...WoW didn't have jack shit to do when it first came out.

Uh...WoW had a lot to do when it first came out. This is what so many mmo devs/pubs have trouble creating is a world that is truly ready for ppl. Many will put in the framework and then just expect the fans to pay them to build in more as they go forward.

WoW basically ruined the scam for everyone else. MMO's today are expected to have full content for all existing areas in the game. Almost none launch this with, SW TOR is looking like it could launch with fleshed out content...but who knows. Conan looked great...until you got past level 20, but even the area for 20-30 was ok, then after that the world felt empty. (to me) Warhammer felt pretty empty. STO didn't even try and sugar coat their lack of content, they called the klingon race a pvp only race as if people would be ok with that? STO is a perfect example of an mmo that launch with next to no content.

If you're going to launch your MMO with next to no content you're only going to survive if you throw in 6 months or so of free game time for early adopters.

10. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 16:38 Ant

Shok wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 12:22:
I'll check it out in six months when it's free to play lol...
Or free trial if it doesn't require a credit card number.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

9. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 16:29 Grounded

Dont fall for this. They are front loading their profits for what is basically a console fighter with little to no end game content and unbalanced buggy PVP. IT IS NOT worth a 3 month sub  

8. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 14:22 Alamar

I bought this a few weeks back, and have enjoyed some time playing it...

I, however, seem to have different conclusions about the combat. I feel it's clunky, slow, and just not that fun. I am using the 2h weapon, so I would guess that's part of it. It does feel badly designed as I can either overpower entire groups easily, or die very quickly. All of the story (instances) missions have given me achieves for not dying, using consumables, etc...

So in short, it's not challenging, or I can two-shot.

- Alamar

7. I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 13:40 JohnBirshire

I bought the game two weeks ago, and I am legitimately enjoying it. The quests are more fun than any MMO I've ever played, and I've played dozens of them since Meridian 59. *villain side, can't speak for hero* Also, the combat doesn't feel like an MMO at all, it feels more like an action arcade game. If you are good, it is very easy to out skill other similarly geared opponents.

I don't regret buying it whatsoever, but I do admit right now it's looking like a two month play. However, I've played many games in my life for FAR less than two months, so it wasn't a waste of money by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the game's long term playability, I can't help but be reminded of WoW. This is something a lot of people forget...WoW didn't have jack shit to do when it first came out. No armor sets to collect, no battlegrounds, no arenas, and only one raid which coincidentally required 40 attuned players. People, especially the ones who bring up WoW all the time, seem to forget this fact. Or, as I imagine, simply didn't play when it was brand new, so have no business flaming other games for lack of content at release.

I'm not sure what SOE's long term plans are for this game, whether it will ever have enough content to subscribe to for years straight, or whether it will simply be one of those MMOs you come back to for short sessions every once in awhile. All I know is that for every day I enjoy it, it's one less day I'm bored waiting for Star Wars: Old Republic.

6. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 13:14 Mac

Sounds more like people are abandoning the game after the 30 day period, so they are trying to get a few more to stay

Probably free to play with micro-transactions within 12 months

5. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 12:37 StingingVelvet

$60 + $15 a month = no way for me, even though I was a DCU fan as a little kid and I like the idea of the game.

Make it $60 and then DLC in the future or just let me jump in for the $15 sub and I will consider it.

4. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 12:34 Tumbler

When they released the game u could start an account, on the consoles, without a code. You still needed a copy of the game, used, but it was possible to pay $15 and play. At some point SOE or PSN changed this as you can't start an account without the code now.

I'm disappointed they did this because I had hoped the original policy would make it possible to have more paying customers after the first month. I think its safe to say this game is doomed with this change... It does not appear to be a game worth $50 - $60 to play for a month.

3. Re: DC Universe Online Price Break Feb 6, 2011, 12:22 Shok

I'll check it out in six months when it's free to play lol...  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo