Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Content in Battlefield 3?

A limited edition of DICE's upcoming Battlefield 3 will include reworked content from Battlefield 2, reports Computer and Video Games, saying this is based on a leaked advertisement for the LE of the military shooter sequel. They say this will include a Back To Karkland map pack to be offered to those who preorder this special edition that will eventually be offered as DLC or everyone else. Word is: "This themed expansion pack features four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new Achievements/Trophies and more."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 8, 2011, 22:03 Sepharo

Elessar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:12:
"I'm not buying it, if it doesn't have mod support!"

Too be fair, most of us are pretty psyched, well I guess I can only speak for myself, but I'll be buying it save any major fuckups to come.

I just find it disappointing that because of DLC and ports we lose out on mods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 8, 2011, 15:43 Verno

Except that your opinion is all over the place and you seem to have backpeddled quite a bit from the original post which contained gems like "the PC gaming community needs to accept that polished games come out now". It also lumps everyone into the same group which is silly, some of us might buy the game and still care about mods.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 15:52.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

35. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 8, 2011, 14:12 Elessar

No need to lecture, I know perfectly well why they're good. Which is why, for the third time, I'm all for them if they're implemented well. I weigh in because we share opinions here.

I just happen to disagree with the "I'm not buying it, if it doesn't have mod support!" mentality. I'm allowed to post that here right? (hint: rhetorical)

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

34. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 8, 2011, 11:40 Verno

Mods are good for all kinds of games, both the polished and unpolished alike. They are free content additions to games that can both refine or innovate in ways that the traditional industry cannot foresee. Your argument is that they clutter up your server browser and you don't like modern mods because hey modern games are perfect. It's more than a little short sighted and ignores the fact that many developers get their start in modding. If you as an end consumer don't care then fair enough but why even weigh in then?  

33. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 17:32 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 13:10:
That's a bit ridiculous. The lack of mods for a game that doesn't give you the ability to mod it somehow means that there are no possible creative avenues unexplored?
You're taking this a bit too far. I'm sure someone could do something with BC2 if it were possible, I just happen to think it's pretty self sustaining and can't benefit from it as much as 1942 did at the time.

You don't care about mods, fair enough. That doesn't mean everyone else should stop caring about it. User generated content is a good thing for a game to have, there is no legitimate argument otherwise.

That's a design issue, not a mod issue. A developer not adding a simple "Vanilla" tickbox in a server browser shouldn't condemn the modding experience. The advantages of a custom content community far outweigh the disadvantage of a user joining a modded server by accident.
Maybe I should rephrase... I'm not a fan of mods when they're sloppily implemented and get in the way of core gameplay. As I said earlier, if they can be launched separately or filtered, I'm all for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 18:20.

32. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 13:10 Verno

If anything, this furthers my point. 1942 and DC are old school at this point. I enjoyed both too, but there wasn't anything like DC at the time. You can get almost any flavor of game now that time has passed. For modern games, like BC2? I can't think of how a mod would make it that much better than the core gameplay. It's a pretty self sustaining game as it stands.

That's a bit ridiculous. The lack of mods for a game that doesn't give you the ability to mod it somehow means that there are no possible creative avenues unexplored? Heck, a mod doesn't have to create some innovative new format for it to be worthwhile, in fact some of my favorite mods are just refinements of an existing formula.

You don't care about mods, fair enough. That doesn't mean everyone else should stop caring about it. User generated content is a good thing for a game to have, there is no legitimate argument otherwise.

If it's anything like Quake, UT or TF2 was, where modded servers were littered in with core gameplay servers, they do affect me and I simply don't want mods in that game.

That's a design issue, not a mod issue. A developer not adding a simple "Vanilla" tickbox in a server browser shouldn't condemn the modding experience. The advantages of a custom content community far outweigh the disadvantage of a user joining a modded server by accident.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 13:16.

31. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 12:53 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 12:25:
Well it seems wrong then because some of us just like mods. I loved BF1942 just as much as I loved Desert Combat and I wouldn't want to give up the experience of playing either, they were both fantastic in their own ways.
If anything, this furthers my point. 1942 and DC are old school at this point. I enjoyed both too, but there wasn't anything like DC at the time. You can get almost any flavor of game now that time has passed. For modern games, like BC2? I can't think of how a mod would make it that much better than the core gameplay. It's a pretty self sustaining game as it stands.

Some user content is just as polished and professional as AAA efforts by the way.
I know. Which is why I prefaced my comment with that.

No one would force you sift through through mods, they don't affect you one way or the other. Choice is rarely a bad thing.
Some games are better than others at letting you sift through mods. If it's anything like Quake, UT or TF2 was, where modded servers were littered in with core gameplay servers, they do affect me and I simply don't want mods in that game. If they can be filtered out or launched separately, then by all means, choice is a good thing.

30. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 12:29 SpectralMeat

Not to mention some if not most of those indy devs comes from the mod community, Tripwire Interactive for example.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 12:25 Verno

It seems the people that are for mods come from that old school mentality, woeful of days gone by and are unhappy with how PC gaming has turned out. I get that, but I've also learned to accept it and appreciate the good, polished games that come out now.

Well it seems wrong then because some of us just like mods. I loved BF1942 just as much as I loved Desert Combat and I wouldn't want to give up the experience of playing either, they were both fantastic in their own ways. Some user content is just as polished and professional as AAA efforts by the way. No one would force you sift through through mods, they don't affect you one way or the other. Choice is rarely a bad thing.

28. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 11:25 Elessar

bigspender wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 02:58:
can't say i've ever bothered to play a mod in and BF games. I'd rather a more polished product or more content, than have amateur content from fans

I second this. Not to say all mods are amateur, but I'd much rather launch a game browser and select from static, known gametypes/rules. The examples given to support modding (Desert Combat, Quake Mods) are fine, except they apply to less polished games released several years ago. The devs have already improved iterations of their games throughout the years. Plus, with the indie scene's recent rise, we're seeing unique gameplay come from them too (Monday Night Combat for example).

It seems the people that are for mods come from that old school mentality, woeful of days gone by and are unhappy with how PC gaming has turned out. I get that, but I've also learned to accept it and appreciate the good, polished games that come out now.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2011, 11:30.

27. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 05:59 SpectralMeat

bigspender wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 00:14:
have mod support so someone can make cool feature and maps for the game which some players will use. ... the developer could but will not implement that cool feature or maps for everyone,

fixed it for you
If you look at Bad Company 2 you can see the developer released 7 map packs which are the exact same maps that the game shipped with but you can play them in different game modes, so therefore they are new maps (in the eye of the developer)

Other than the last "map pack" which includes Oasis and a few other maps there were no new maps for the game. If there were mod tools we would of had tons of maps and different mods for the game to extend the life of the game, but that would be bad for EA because then we wouldn't be buying the new games, we would just keep playing the old one.

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 7, 2011, 00:14 bigspender

how did you know about my golden ass?

I was talking about BF mods specifically, BF mods (even the official expansions to some extent) always seem wonky.

sure i'll agree with you that many mods in other games bring creativity to the industry, but hardly any make it to the mainsteam (except of course the golden age of quake HL1 mods. but those days are long gone.)

EDIT: what I was getting at that, why have mod support so someone can make cool feature for the game which some players will use. When the developer could just implement that cool feature for everyone, instead of concentrating on mod support and level editors etc

25. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 15:26 wrigleyvillain

Yeah Forgotten Hope 2, Project Reality and others all fantastic, top-notch work.

Sepharo wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 03:33:
can't say i've ever bothered to play a mod in and BF games. I'd rather a more polished product or more content, than have amateur content from fans

Never played BF mods but you're ready to brush them off as unpolished? Desert Combat ended up being a better game than 1942, it was certainly far ahead of its time. The developers got picked up by DICE to work on BF2.

Also the vast majority of mods for the BF series and most moddable FPS in general aren't total conversions. They're small scripts, modified vehicle spawns, management controls, new game modes. All things that improve the game but don't bring any measurable profit to the publisher.

You've likely been playing on servers with lots of different mods, just not total conversions.

24. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 12:42 StingingVelvet

LittleMe wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 05:27:
Bethesda's RPG's also capitalize on that. Nuff said.

And yet they get 80% or more of their sales on the console platforms, which have no mod support.

23. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 10:49 fatguy

So lame.  

22. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 08:20 Sty

WTF... is that the ProStreet edition? Will our Strikers be sporting neon? lmao  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

21. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 08:05 Jerykk

Agreed with Sepharo and LittleMe. Mods have had a major influence on the industry. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Defense of the Ancients and Tower Defense come to mind as the most obviously influential mods, though there are plenty of more obscure mods that have inspired the design choices in new games.

I get that, and I would like mod support too, but I doubt it will happen. Activision release $15 map packs that sell 3-4 million, that's 60 million dollars.

Luckily, Activision isn't publishing BF3. EA isn't exactly noble when it comes to DLC but they aren't as bad as Activision.

20. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 05:27 LittleMe

Sepharo wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 03:33:

Never played BF mods but you're ready to brush them off as unpolished? Desert Combat ended up being a better game than 1942, it was certainly far ahead of its time. The developers got picked up by DICE to work on BF2.

Also the vast majority of mods for the BF series and most moddable FPS in general aren't total conversions. They're small scripts, modified vehicle spawns, management controls, new game modes. All things that improve the game but don't bring any measurable profit to the publisher.

You've likely been playing on servers with lots of different mods, just not total conversions.

Exactly. Quake3 is based off Quake1 mods with the CTF and timed matches, etc. Mods have advanced the industry. There's a huge creative potential in the community that is accessed when games allow modding. Bethesda's RPG's also capitalize on that. Nuff said.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

19. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 03:33 Sepharo

18. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 6, 2011, 03:03 [VG]Reagle

Well isn't your ass golden??

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo