Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall

The Battlefield Blog has some of the promised new details on Battlefield 3, saying the next installment in DICE's military shooter series is due for release this fall for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The update calls this the "true successor to Battlefield 2," saying it will have full single-player and co-op campaigns as well as 64-player (on the PC) multiplayer, as well as the return of jets and (wait for it) prone. They also offer a teaser trailer, and promise more details throughout this month in magazine coverage, starting with the new issue of Game Informer, where they have word on the game's use of DICE's new game engine: "it wasn't until the company developed the powerful new Frostbite 2 engine that it felt all the pieces were in place to create a proper follow-up. Armed with powerful upgrades like deferred rendering, real-time radiosity, a new animation system borrowed from the EA Sports label, and an exponential leap in destructibility, executive producer Patrick Bach dubs Frostbite 2 'the best piece of technology on the market when it comes to building games'." In a bold move, the Battlefield 3 Website offers preorders of the limited edition without yet revealing what it includes.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

13. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 11:00 SpectralMeat

I am not excited about prone I am excited about the tech I can see in BC2 and want that same level of destruction in Battlefield with all the planes and huge maps.

I am glad they are listening to the concerns of the PC community by adding the 64 player MP and prone and I am sure a lot more stuff that we've asked for. I am sure there are limits how far they can bend to please the PC community but the info released so far is looking very positive for us PC gamers imo.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:54 Rattlehead

Prone? Bleh, I'm one of the few who despised that dolphin diving BS. Oh well.  

11. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:48 JoeNapalm

A "true successor" that supports gamepads, eh?

The fact that this has been designed with consoles in mind doesn't bode well - but BF2BC2 wasn't awful, so I'll maintain a thin veil of jaded optimism.

[EDIT: Wait...prone?...oh...oh my.]

[[And before you console crusaders start jumping on me for being "too negative" keep in mind that we're excited over the hint of being able to go bloody prone...something that I could do in the original Rainbow 6 back in 1998.]]

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

10. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:47 Techie714

OH HELL YEA!!!! This is sounding to be a TRUE successor to BF2. PRONE bitches.....PRONE. Cant wait!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:47 Prez

Well, I guess it's time to start putting together a Windows 7 machine.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:39 Ant

I hope this will be good. I will believe it when I play the demo/beta.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:37 SpectralMeat

ASeven wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 10:32:
I will admit, I am pleasantly surprised at these news, I was expecting DICE to shit on PC gamers but these first news are good, very good.

One hurdle down, two to go, namely, modtools and unranked public server files. The BF community is perhaps one that give more importance to modtools over all the other communities.

If they stay true to their word "special attention to PC" then we might see those mod tools and server files. We will see, I am sure by GDC we will know a lot more and on GDC they will demo the frostbite 2 engine so hopefully we will see some gameplay

6. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:34 Optional nickname

me thinks SLI Videocards will be mandatory for stable framerates as 63 players fall trap to my chokepoint. I skipped BF 1 and 2, but I think I may give this one a try. Been a while since I fragged  

5. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:32 ASeven

I will admit, I am pleasantly surprised at these news, I was expecting DICE to shit on PC gamers but these first news are good, very good.

One hurdle down, two to go, namely, modtools and unranked public server files. The BF community is perhaps one that give more importance to modtools over all the other communities.

4. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:24 SpectralMeat

I am really looking forward to this game. The destructible environment in BC2 just doesn't get old. I can't wait to see some gameplay of BF3. GDC hurry up  

3. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:23 ShakyJake

If they bring back throttle and true joystick support, I'll be more than happy.  

2. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:20 Verno

So what? That's still great news as it means they aren't compromising on design for the consoles.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

1. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 10:14 Overon

64 players? Tribes 2 had that over 10 years ago.  

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo