Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall

The Battlefield Blog has some of the promised new details on Battlefield 3, saying the next installment in DICE's military shooter series is due for release this fall for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The update calls this the "true successor to Battlefield 2," saying it will have full single-player and co-op campaigns as well as 64-player (on the PC) multiplayer, as well as the return of jets and (wait for it) prone. They also offer a teaser trailer, and promise more details throughout this month in magazine coverage, starting with the new issue of Game Informer, where they have word on the game's use of DICE's new game engine: "it wasn't until the company developed the powerful new Frostbite 2 engine that it felt all the pieces were in place to create a proper follow-up. Armed with powerful upgrades like deferred rendering, real-time radiosity, a new animation system borrowed from the EA Sports label, and an exponential leap in destructibility, executive producer Patrick Bach dubs Frostbite 2 'the best piece of technology on the market when it comes to building games'." In a bold move, the Battlefield 3 Website offers preorders of the limited edition without yet revealing what it includes.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

53. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:10 loomy

the destructibility in bfbc2 is a novelty. and worse, it hinders gameplay. everyone is a demolition man.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:02 Verno

Elessar wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:45:

Regarding BF though, that always seems to be the trade-off. Big maps, vehicles and large scale battles at the expense of shooting mechanics. I want both damnit!

I hear ya man, I've been waiting for them to get it right since BF1942 They've been improving though, the hit detection in Vietnam seems better. I feel more effective at the actual shooting stuff in BC2:Vietnam than I ever did in BC2 itself. So I think they are headed in the right direction hopefully.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

51. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:57 Wildone

Vehicles should NOT be easy to destroy, rather they should take the right use of weapons at the right time. Jets will dominate you if your using a machine gun! By the same token, if you fire an AA missile at me it shouldn't be an insta kill either if I deploy counter measures at the right time. 3 grenades to kill a tank should not happen either.  

50. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:54 Dmitri_M

Nice.

It'll be good returning to some large BF2 style maps.
I've only played Vietnam, not vanilla BFBC2. The maps seem like long thin strips. Usually bordered with 16 snipers out of the 24 players on the server.

49. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:50 SpectralMeat

Elessar wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:45:
Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:07:
People are more critical at times when they really enjoy something because the flaws are that much more apparent. I've seen you do some bitching around here too btw
Oh no doubt. I wasn't excluding myself by any means. Hell look at the critiquing I did in the post you quoted.

Regarding BF though, that always seems to be the trade-off. Big maps, vehicles and large scale battles at the expense of shooting mechanics. I want both damnit!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't keeping an eye on this, though. I just found all of the buzz and excitement here interesting. Especially because DICE games usually have noticeable flaws and blues is the place to go to see them pointed out. With BF, the good just happens to outweigh the bad. Which is good, but not great.

I actually always like DICE games, even though a lot of people hate on them because they went cross platform, they still make fun games imo. The shooting takes a little to get used to but I found the more I've played the game the better I got at it.

Even if their games have some issues, I personally had a lot of issues with the internet connectivity and EA server kept dropping connection etc., when the game worked it was just a blast to play it and made me forget all the frustration.

These days BC2 is one of my favorite game to play, I play that game pretty much every night, it is part of my gaming routine every night. The more I play it the more I enjoy it.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2011, 14:57.

Steam: SpectralMeat

48. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:46 StingingVelvet

Glad to see everyone is happy so far, I thought it was great early news.  

47. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:45 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:07:
People are more critical at times when they really enjoy something because the flaws are that much more apparent. I've seen you do some bitching around here too btw
Oh no doubt. I wasn't excluding myself by any means. Hell look at the critiquing I did in the post you quoted.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't keeping an eye on this, though. I just found all of the buzz and excitement here interesting. Especially because DICE games usually have noticeable flaws and blues is the place to go to see them pointed out. With BF, the good just happens to outweigh the bad. Which is good, but not great.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

46. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:30 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:18:
Will be nice to see more details, gameplay video would be most appreciated. I hope they plan to push dedicated servers for the PS3, would love to finally see that system exploit PSN and such. 360 would be even better but I think we've got a long way to go before MS sees the need to offer more than it does. If the PS3 was playing 64 player games while the 360 was on 24 player servers I could see it lighting a fire over at MS to get more server support running.

Neither console has the horse power to support 64 players Tumbler. Even MAG is only able to make that claim rather disingenuously at best.

So basically, still should uninstall unused drivers including from device manager, reinstall new/old drivers, etc.

It won't load the older drivers. It will BSOD on your first boot up with the newer hardware. Reboot and it will load failsafe drivers. The only thing you have to worry about uninstalling is specific applications that those drivers might have installed like the Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Display Panel. The main reason to do a full re-install on Windows 7 is getting rid of the old cruft in your User folder and whatnot. Re-installing is also helpful if you have an SSD, Windows 7 will automatically detect and adjust things like the pagefile, turn off defrag and etc.

45. RE: Changing hardwares in W7 Feb 4, 2011, 14:27 Ant

mag wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 11:49:
justice7 wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 11:41:
Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 11:32:
]

Let me know if you need a hand grandpa

I kid, I kid. One of the nice things about Windows 7 is that you can gracefully motherboard swap by the way, even between different manufacturers. I upgraded my motherboard, CPU and SSD on the weekend, took about 10 minutes from hardware install to windows login.

I did not know this was possible in Windows7, nice!

It's "possible," but my experience is that things will still go quite wonky. You'll have to spend so much time trying to rip out all of the old drivers that are screwing with your framerates or causing BSODs or whatever that you'll save time by reinstalling.
So basically, still should uninstall unused drivers including from device manager, reinstall new/old drivers, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

44. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:18 Trevellian

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:08:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:02:
- hopefully by then Intel will have their shit sorted out.

They are working on it now, new boards are coming in April. Got an e-mail from the retailer that I'll get a free replacement as soon as the boards are available.

As for beta yes I can't wait to try this game. Hopefully they will announce the beta date on GDC. How long was the BC2 beta?

Beta was a few months if I remember correctly. I played it for quite awhile before it came out. I can't wait till they announce a BF3 beta either, as it'll be the only thing that will redeem any amount of the money I lost buying goddamn Medal of Honor.

bhcompy wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:11:
Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:02:
LMGs will be the least of your worries with jets and prone in this game my friend

I dunno. If BFBC2 is any indication vehicles will be at a premium and easy to destroy. The days of vehicle dominated maps like Wake, Aberdeen, Oman, etc may be gone

What game are you playing? I've kept a T90 alive entire rounds on many occasions. It just means being on voice, having a co pilot who is an engineer and a good machine gunner. You can still dominate maps in BC2 with vehicles...

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

43. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:18 Tumbler

Will be nice to see more details, gameplay video would be most appreciated. I hope they plan to push dedicated servers for the PS3, would love to finally see that system exploit PSN and such. 360 would be even better but I think we've got a long way to go before MS sees the need to offer more than it does. If the PS3 was playing 64 player games while the 360 was on 24 player servers I could see it lighting a fire over at MS to get more server support running.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

42. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 14:07 Verno

Elessar wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:51:
I'm surprised so many here are excited about BF3. Especially considering how critical the community is. Don't get me wrong, I've played nearly all the Battlefields, but there always seems to be something missing in the shooter mechanics of DICE's games. Therefore I just can't get excited for BF3 and I'm surprised so many are.

Battlefield games have always had that floaty jump/movement style. It's an acquired taste is all I can say. Others never seem to like it but excuse it for the vehicles because so few online multiplayer games do vehicles like the BF games. Sometimes people don't like everything about the BF titles and complain but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy the game overall. For example I really hate the experience bar grinding/unlock system in BC2 but I still played the hell out of the game.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2011, 14:14.

41. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:57 eRe4s3r

In vietnam thats only a problem because there is no dedicated (emplaced and kit based) air or tank defenses and no tracer gun nor guided rockets.....

In BC2 the vehicle balance is fairly well done. A good team can take out any vehicle within 10 seconds if it being spotted. Particularly blackhawks are a great fun to aim at "blindly" (without tracer) because pilots never expect missiles (from below) when it doesn't beep.

40. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:51 Elessar

I'm surprised so many here are excited about BF3. Especially considering how critical the community is. Don't get me wrong, I've played nearly all the Battlefields, but there always seems to be something missing in the shooter mechanics of DICE's games. The concept of big battles fought inside large maps with vehicles is awesome. I think they implement that part excellently. It just always feels like they're a step behind when it comes to the "feel" of the shooter aspect in their games. IMO CoD does a much better job in this regard. The mechanics are far more immersive. The downside to CoD is you're stuck in rat maze maps. I've often wished either DICE would finally "get it" with the shooting mechanics and that <insert dev name here> would "get it" with map/scale design in CoD.

BC2 was a major step forward in almost every way, but I still found the feel to be floaty and the shooting a little laggy. Therefore I just can't get excited for BF3 and I'm surprised so many are.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

39. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:40 Verno

Any level with a helicopter due to them re-instating the "repair in midair" crap. The boats are pretty absurd too with a competent crew manning them. My friends and I play on a vent server and when we get a vehicle we basically just demolish the rest of the opposing team until the map rolls over.  

38. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:21 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:15:
LMGs will be the least of your worries with jets and prone in this game my friend

I dunno. If BFBC2 is any indication vehicles will be at a premium and easy to destroy. The days of vehicle dominated maps like Wake, Aberdeen, Oman, etc may be gone

Go play Vietnam and get back to me on that They seem to constantly reverse their vehicle balance from game to game.

I have. It seems worse. What maps are vehicle dominated in Vietnam? I gave up on it after playing the shitfests that are Hill 137 and Cao Son. And Hastings is horrible with the accuracy of the tanks vs the overly weak helicopters. Tank to tank is okay on Hastings, but would be nice to get a few more jeeps for quick transport with a full server.

37. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:15 Verno

Go play Vietnam and get back to me on that They seem to constantly reverse their vehicle balance from game to game.

Why go Intel and be forced to change chipsets/sockets every 12 damn months?

You don't ever need to upgrade that often, Intel's refresh cycles are longer than that and quite reasonable unless you're a bleeding edge type who would get pumped by either company anyway. And some people pay a premium for a Intel because they are the performance leader. These days everything is fairly close on performance so the old videocard/CPU battles are largely meaningless anyhow.

36. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:15 bhcompy

I'll wait for the beta and see how it performs before jumping on the hardware upgrade bandwagon - hopefully by then Intel will have their shit sorted out.

Why go Intel and be forced to change chipsets/sockets every 12 damn months? Cheap dual or tri core AMD uses the same socket as a quad or hex core. Save you lots of money in the long run if you invest in your mobo wisely(since BIOS updates are all that's needed for most of them to support the CPUs they continue to release)

35. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:11 bhcompy

34. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:08 SpectralMeat

- hopefully by then Intel will have their shit sorted out.

They are working on it now, new boards are coming in April. Got an e-mail from the retailer that I'll get a free replacement as soon as the boards are available.

As for beta yes I can't wait to try this game. Hopefully they will announce the beta date on GDC. How long was the BC2 beta?

Steam: SpectralMeat

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo