Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall

The Battlefield Blog has some of the promised new details on Battlefield 3, saying the next installment in DICE's military shooter series is due for release this fall for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The update calls this the "true successor to Battlefield 2," saying it will have full single-player and co-op campaigns as well as 64-player (on the PC) multiplayer, as well as the return of jets and (wait for it) prone. They also offer a teaser trailer, and promise more details throughout this month in magazine coverage, starting with the new issue of Game Informer, where they have word on the game's use of DICE's new game engine: "it wasn't until the company developed the powerful new Frostbite 2 engine that it felt all the pieces were in place to create a proper follow-up. Armed with powerful upgrades like deferred rendering, real-time radiosity, a new animation system borrowed from the EA Sports label, and an exponential leap in destructibility, executive producer Patrick Bach dubs Frostbite 2 'the best piece of technology on the market when it comes to building games'." In a bold move, the Battlefield 3 Website offers preorders of the limited edition without yet revealing what it includes.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 5, 2011, 19:31 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:02:
They've been improving though, the hit detection in Vietnam seems better. I feel more effective at the actual shooting stuff in BC2:Vietnam than I ever did in BC2 itself. So I think they are headed in the right direction hopefully.

Agreed. I'm finding it difficult to go back to vanilla BC2 where things just seem a bit off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 5, 2011, 14:09 Suddenly_Dead

Wildone wrote on Feb 5, 2011, 02:37:
quit whining about the jets. Get some good pilots on your team or man an uber AA canon

AA in BF2 is pretty bloody easy to avoid.

71. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 5, 2011, 02:37 Wildone

quit whining about the jets. Get some good pilots on your team or man an uber AA canon  

70. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 5, 2011, 00:54 mag

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 12:43:
mag wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 11:49:
It's "possible," but my experience is that things will still go quite wonky. You'll have to spend so much time trying to rip out all of the old drivers that are screwing with your framerates or causing BSODs or whatever that you'll save time by reinstalling.

I don't see how that's possible, Windows 7 will not load device drivers for devices that aren't present. You need to simply run an uninstaller on any bundled software to remove it - CCC or Nvidia Driver Panel. I've done this at work on a couple dozen systems with nary a bad result, Windows 7 is quite good this way. At worst you might need to re-install something with linked libraries like PhysX but most games will do that automatically at setup or run time.

Windows 7 even runs multiple videocards from different manufacturers for anyone wanting to do that silly dedicated PhysX card nonsense.

*shrug* I swapped motherboards, uninstalled all of the old software, Win7 continued to freak out about every little thing until I reinstalled. It wasn't a spectacularly different experience from doing the same with WinXP.

In fact, even swapping video cards more recently was pretty painful. To get it to work decently I had to perform the same old Driver Cleaner song and dance.

69. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 23:23 LittleMe

Glad to hear support for 64 players, but I'd like them to add engine support for 128 players for LAN events, etc..

You guys asking for custom features like disabling jets and snipers is why we want full mod support for BF3. And for the record, the jets and snipers are toned *way* down in Project Reality for BF2. Most maps don't even have jets in PR and there's a low limit (2 per team I think) of snipers. Project Reality turned BF2 into a much better experience in almost every way, but does require more patience.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

68. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 22:02 Zardoz5

Rattlehead wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 10:54:
Prone? Bleh, I'm one of the few who despised that dolphin diving BS. Oh well.
I take in you haven't played 2142 then as prone was done well in that game. They took out the barrel role animation, the dolphin diving and added a time delay of a second or two when you did go prone before you could shoot again. You learn quickly that the same prone tactics you employed in BF2 will cause you to die frequently in 2142.

I miss prone in BC2 and welcome its return to the series. You can use it for avoiding fire, flanking, hiding from tanks who roll up on you, etc.

67. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 19:07 venomhed

Shit, TURN OFF THE JETS AND THE FUCKING SNIPERS!

While snipers are an important part of the game, allowing there to be 10-16 right now on a team proves that they unbalance the game. Shit if snipers were this good in real life America would have an standing Army of 20 snipers in Afghanistan right now and the war would have been won in 24 hours!

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2011, 19:33.

66. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 19:05 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 17:52:
Okay, that does sound good. Especially the co-op campaign as well as a single player campaign. That's pretty damn awesome.

I may have to put this on my list.

Creston

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeee... now that is what I am talking about.

65. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 18:44 Marvin T. Martian

As long as they have a serverside option to turn off the jets.
Jets ruined just about every BF2 map.

64. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 17:52 Creston

Okay, that does sound good. Especially the co-op campaign as well as a single player campaign. That's pretty damn awesome.

I may have to put this on my list.

Creston

63. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 17:48 Elessar

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:02:
I hear ya man, I've been waiting for them to get it right since BF1942 They've been improving though, the hit detection in Vietnam seems better. I feel more effective at the actual shooting stuff in BC2:Vietnam than I ever did in BC2 itself. So I think they are headed in the right direction hopefully.
I didn't know they were tweaking that sort of thing, especially in DLC. That's actually promising news to me. Hopefully they continue to tighten up shooting for BF3.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

62. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 17:29 entr0py

That's awesome. I thought for sure EA just wouldn't fund DICE to put in substantial PC exclusive content.

I was thinking about the jets, in the past those only ever worked on huge 64 maps for obvious reasons. But if they wanted to squeeze them into the console games, I guess they could just have much larger map boundaries for jets, and smaller boundaries for everyone else.

61. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 16:32 bhcompy

Drezden wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:18:

What game are you playing? I've kept a T90 alive entire rounds on many occasions. It just means being on voice, having a co pilot who is an engineer and a good machine gunner. You can still dominate maps in BC2 with vehicles...

And a small group of infantry can take it out in a few seconds. Not every map is as wide open as Atacama either, which is one of the few maps where you can stay alive quite awhile in a tank by staying on the outskirts of battle(and even longer if you use optics and stay back in the base area).

60. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 16:29 CommunistHamster

As for Air combat I hope they go the Desert Combat route - no guided missiles! Guided missiles and flares are boring! Proximity fuses and cannon are really, really fun!  

59. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:48 SpectralMeat

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:46:
maps better be made for 64 and then cut down,

I believe that is how it was done for BF2.

Steam: SpectralMeat

58. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:46 StingingVelvet

I'm seeing some outlets report the console versions as having 32 players... not sure where the source for that is, but I am reading it. If that is the case the maps better be made for 64 and then cut down, rather than made for 32 and then 64 people are thrown in there.  

57. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:34 Agent.X7

Don't get too excited by prone. My guess is it won't actually make it in the game. (BC2 was going to have it, ended up without it.) I wouldn't hold my breath on the 64 player thing either.

Still looking forward to it, just not swallowing the pre-game hype.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

56. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:31 DangerDog

loomy wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:10:
the destructibility in bfbc2 is a novelty. and worse, it hinders gameplay. everyone is a demolition man.

I find it hard to go back to games where everything is static, especially if there are vehicles like tanks involved, having your massive tank stopped dead in its tracks by a small fence really kills it. Homefront forgoes destruction, you should check into that game.

I love the destruction in BC2 even if it's just busting up pre-designated "breakable" sections of buildings.

55. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:29 SpectralMeat

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:17:
the destructibility in bfbc2 is a novelty. and worse, it hinders gameplay. everyone is a demolition man.

How does it hinder gameplay? There's a couple questionable MCOM stations (that is, in collapsible buildings that can be hit from across the map), but I like to be able to breach a hole in a building's wall and then storm into it (instead of taking the obvious, and defended, doorway).

Same here, especially when you know the guy is crouched in the corner waiting for someone to walk through the door and you blow the whole wall away from behind him.
I don't understand how destructible environments can hinder gameplay, unless if you are a sniper and like to camp through the whole game in the same spot. Taking headshots while having a tea.

Steam: SpectralMeat

54. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 15:17 Suddenly_Dead

Wildone wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:57:
Vehicles should NOT be easy to destroy, rather they should take the right use of weapons at the right time. Jets will dominate you if your using a machine gun! By the same token, if you fire an AA missile at me it shouldn't be an insta kill either if I deploy counter measures at the right time. 3 grenades to kill a tank should not happen either.

Thing is, if they make AA effective at all there is an inundation of whinging and they end up nerfing it in the next patch. Having a set of players that is virtually invincible to the majority of players on the ground is kind of lame.

How does it hinder gameplay? There's a couple questionable MCOM stations (that is, in collapsible buildings that can be hit from across the map), but I like to be able to breach a hole in a building's wall and then storm into it (instead of taking the obvious, and defended, doorway).

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo