Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer

A new Adam Jensen Profile Trailer from Deus Ex: Human Revolution profiles the protagonist in the action/RPG sequel in development at Eidos Montreal. The mix of cinematics and gameplay in the clip demonstrate Jensen's reservations about the game's augmentations, as well as his use of them to kick some major ass. Here are some accompanying screenshots, and the clip is embedded below.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 4, 2011, 09:07 JoeNapalm

Tumbler wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 17:41:
I wish games would have an auto play mode. When I was playing dead space 2 there was a point in the game where I wanted to keep seeing the story unfold but I just want to take a break from playing and I really wanted to put the game on auto and just watch it play.

Watching this trailer kind of makes me feel the same way, I keep trying to imagine how this will fit into gameplay and in the end I don't think I care, I'd rather just watch the story unfold if it's going to look that good.

How about having an auto play mode, would be similar to watching a friend play the game, just get to watch the story and appreciate all the detail in the game rather than making sure you've lined up your headshot correctly 1000 times.

...anyone else want to see something like this?

Just buy a console.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 4, 2011, 00:42 Jerykk

I always hated that in Deus Ex sneaking was essentially a quicksave and quickload affair because you couldn't view around edges. (and more importantly, *above* whatever you were hiding behind).

Uh, you do realize that you could lean in DX, right? Stealth works fine in first-person, as the Thief games have proven. It's a far more intense affair, as you have to expose yourself to see your enemies. Third-person stealth isn't nearly as engaging because you can see your enemies around corners but they can't see you.

No. Autoplay defeats the whole point of gaming as a medium: interaction. The less interaction there is, the less of a game it is. If I want non-interactive entertainment, I'll read a book or watch a movie.

No doubt it will be consolized, the big question is will it be fix or mod-able to straighten it up nice for PC playing?

The UI looked surprisingly efficient for a console game. I hope you can drag and drop items in the PC version, though I wouldn't count on it. I also pray that the PC version has proper AA support, as the aliasing in the screenshots and videos released thus far has been horrible.

23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 20:48 eRe4s3r

I'd more assume that they figured that melee and sneaking in first person was gonna be a nightmare. I always hated that in Deus Ex sneaking was essentially a quicksave and quickload affair because you couldn't view around edges. (and more importantly, *above* whatever you were hiding behind).

And combat/melee in Deus Ex, well just because it was possible didn't mean it was fun. And as much as i like Deus EX in terms of paths and story, as much i hated its not fun combat. I still have nightmares from wacking weird green monster zombie dog aliens with a nano katana.

22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 20:14 Creston

Techie714 wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 16:04:
See comments like this make absolutely no sense at all. I know a few people in the gaming business as well as a personal friend at PC Gamer & NONE of these companies take money to give good press to a game. The incident that happened at "Gamespot" a few years back is VERY rare & everyone in the industry was shocked about it. Bottom line is that gaming journalists write whatever they want to about a game and management & advertising has no influence.

Oh please. If you truly believe that, I have this awesome bridge to sell you in San Francisco. No? How about some quality sea-front property in New Orleans? Game previews have become nothing but glorified fluff pieces designed to keep the advertising dollars flowing in. And reviews haven't fared much better, although there will at least OCCASSIONALLY be a negative put to light in those.

Creston

21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 19:26 Aero

Yeah, not sure about the third person cover. I think I might almost prefer full third person game play to switching between first person and third person.

I have nothing against third person if if the controls are done well. I thought Gears of War, while flawed in many ways, had nice fluid controls. Mass Effect 2 worked pretty well.

Obviously, though I would prefer pure first person. No cover, or a less intrusive system. I liked the way Vietcong did it. You just crouched behind a log or something and you were in cover, but when you looked down your sites you popped up a bit. Perfect. They could do something similar for corners. Best of all, because it's first person, there isn't any need to fit your character model's animation to it. Just move the view. It doesn't have to make physical sense as long as it gives the right impression from the first person view.

Anyways, they probably felt like they had to stick a third person element in somewhere so that you could see your character and your outfit and gear and whatever.

20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 19:21 Bumpy

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 16:36:
I dunno, looks pretty consolized to me. I'll be waiting for a ton of reviews AND a demo or the bargain bin on this.

No doubt it will be consolized, the big question is will it be fix or mod-able to straighten it up nice for PC playing?

19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:41 DG

Played a few games with cover systems and hated it. Even worse when there's some autoaim, it's like push A to kill, push B to not be killed.

More annoying though is how it changes the controls. It reminds me of games with vehicles where you have that moment while you get in or out and you're stuck for a moment while the animation plays out and there's that awkwardness where you're not quite sure exactly when the controls are switching over. Press B to come out of the cover then hold right but instead of running right your guy just performs some move to take cover behind another object. It breaks fluidity in gameplay, makes you fight the controls to do anything with precision and makes you feel like instead of being the character you're just giving him directions.

Also, for some reason crouching behind a wall doesn't count as being behind cover. Your enlarged hitbox still pokes over the top / beyond the edge or whatever, but push B and despite your body & limbs being in the same place now you are officially taking cover so can't be hit.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was but I'm sure there was a game that knew when you were right beside a wall or whatever + the direction of the camera and all it did was adapt the animations to look the part and throw grenades around/over it etc. No clumsy messing about, it just worked.

18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:35 rist3903

The framerate of the gameplay shown looked very low. What gives?  

17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:26 Riker

The more I see, the more I want to play. I don't know that the game will have the same feel as Deus Ex, but it looks to have plenty in common.  

16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:11 Ratty

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 15:58:
Not happy about the heavy requirement of cover in the game
Same here, but I've never played any game that had a cover system like that in it and I guess there are a few games nowdays that have that which other people here have played and are familiar with. So I'm happy to keep an open mind.

I'm old enough to remember when just running over ammo and health to pick it up in a game rather than have to press a button or click a mouse was new and revolutionary. I still remember how novel it was in Quake to just bump into a huge, oversize button to open a door rather than have to click it. I survived those newfangled innovations I'll survive a mandatory cover system too.

15. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 18:10 Ray Marden

So...apparently I was the only one that wanted less Olyphant in the voice?

As for the game, it looks intriguing. I gave up any hopes of a sequel to DE, but I'm hoping this is a smart or more robust shooter that pays respectable homage to the first game.

Wishing I had ordered the P67 MB ahead of ordering the i7-2600k ,
Ray I'm not sure I can wait until April...e-bay MB wut?

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 17:47 Rockn-Roll

I've played the previous Deus Ex games...and hope this one is fun as well, but I didn't like the action in the trailer. The cut scenes were OK, but I didn't like some of the FPS action. The iron sight view was OK, but then it went to where you can see jensen on the left of the screen...weird...I really hope that was a cut-scene or something like that, cause I don't want to play a game where non-iron sight gameplay has me looking at myself on the left of the screen.

Also, the reaction from the enemy AI when they were getting shot just doesn't look good...the 2nd guy he was shooting seemed to be dancing or something instead of hitting the ground or trying to find cover.

Let's Rock!

13. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 17:46 eRe4s3r

Visit a friend who plays while you watch? This might sound odd but often on weekends an (old guy 50+) comes over and watches me play - same for dead space 2 (for some reason he enjoys it more to see the games played than actually play them)  

12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 17:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Well, I can't tell much from the approximately 2 seconds of gameplay footage there. The cutscenes look nice though. I hope they don't fuck this up.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 17:41 Tumbler

I wish games would have an auto play mode. When I was playing dead space 2 there was a point in the game where I wanted to keep seeing the story unfold but I just want to take a break from playing and I really wanted to put the game on auto and just watch it play.

Watching this trailer kind of makes me feel the same way, I keep trying to imagine how this will fit into gameplay and in the end I don't think I care, I'd rather just watch the story unfold if it's going to look that good.

How about having an auto play mode, would be similar to watching a friend play the game, just get to watch the story and appreciate all the detail in the game rather than making sure you've lined up your headshot correctly 1000 times.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 16:36 Cutter

I dunno, looks pretty consolized to me. I'll be waiting for a ton of reviews AND a demo or the bargain bin on this.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 16:12 StingingVelvet

Not watching this because I am already sold on the game, but on the PC Gamer preview today they showed off something awesome. The game's difficulty levels are: casual, normal and "Deus Ex."  

8. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 16:08 Techie714

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 16:07:
lol Techie need a little help with the quotation

LOL..YES!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 16:07 SpectralMeat

lol Techie need a little help with the quotation  

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 16:04 Techie714

q VERY interesting preview. I'm almost tempted to say that the guy who wrote it was allowed to say whatever he wanted, rather than what Eidos' advertising dollars dictated. Creston
See comments like this make absolutely no sense at all. I know a few people in the gaming business as well as a personal friend at PC Gamer & NONE of these companies take money to give good press to a game. The incident that happened at "Gamespot" a few years back is VERY rare & everyone in the industry was shocked about it. Bottom line is that gaming journalists write whatever they want to about a game and management & advertising has no influence.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo