Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II Demo This Month

This page on the Dragon Age Website is for GameStop employees, as EA expresses their appreciation for their support of the Dragon Age franchise. This gives GameStop employees exclusive early access to the playable demo Dragon Age II, and along the way reveals the demo for the RPG sequel will be released to the public on February 23: "This early demo access is being granted to GameStop employees only. Any form of distribution, recording, posting of any elements of the Dragon Age 2 demo and any of its files is strictly prohibited until February 23, 2011 when the demo is made available to all consumers." Thanks Gamer's Hell.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 16:32 yonder

95% of the whining and crying about DA2 is utter ridiculous. Or, if you're the average internet dweller... "rediculous" wtfever that is. I can't stand the ignorance or lack of common sense.

People act as if removing race/origin in that big of a deal. It's not. Why is "telling a specific story" suddenly *NOT* considered role-playing? What happened at the beginning of Baldur's Gate? Guess what. 100% of people who played Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 and Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic played the EXACT SAME GAME. Removing the "6 origin stories" does not suddenly make it not an RPG.

As for the dialogue. You know... I don't care. Don't act like BioWare has a butt-ton of dialogue options when you're talking anyhow. The pure # of responses in ME was comparable to the # of responses in DA:O. DA had a lil bit more, but not much.

Guess what you get as a result of not having six different 90-minute missions to start the game out with (and, to be fair, usually about 2 "oh, this tiny part is different" moments... tho being a dwarf character did make for a slightly more than tiny difference)...

You get... A FULLY VOICED MAIN CHARACTER! You know what that means? Immersion. Not having a fully voiced character always made the dialogue in DA:O mildly jarring, but the writing was so great that it didn't make TOO much of a difference.

As for that "party dialogue"... quit pretending that there was that huge of a difference. Where did 95% of the "important" inter-party dialogue take place? *AT CAMP*. Have an ounce of faith in BioWare that they'll be able to do this properly. If you don't have the imagination to come up with a SINGLE way that these changes *MIGHT* work out, then that's just... sad.

It's like all the people who whined and cried (and still do) about inventory streamlining in ME2 suddenly making it "not an RPG"... well... if one of the *requirements* for an RPG is "flip thru hundreds of nearly identical pieces of loot until you get back to the merchant and can sell it all" then, heck, I don't mind it not being an RPG.

There's plenty of legitimate concerns, but to automatically write it off because you don't have the IQ to come up with a legitimately good way of implementing the changes or realize that the changes are simply reverting to what an RPG has been like for 30 years... then that reflects poorly on you guys.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 15:54 briktal

Jerykk wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 15:16:
I don't think changing the art direction and...making your characters attack a little faster is dumbing down. Oh maybe they took out that one camera angle, but that's just something annoying.

List of dumbed down things in DA2:

1) You no longer get to choose your race.
2) You no longer get to choose your origin.
3) Combat is being designed to play in real-time, negating the need for tactics or strategy.
4) Dialogue tree has been replaced with dialogue wheel, complete with paraphrased dialogue options and icons showing the tone of each response. This removes the need for reading comprehension or even basic literacy, as players can just refer to the icons when picking a response.
5) Apparently the party banter (one of the best parts of DAO) is gone and replaced with a limited, context-sensitive system ala ME2.

5 isn't dumbing down, just removing a cool feature.

4...maybe

3, did you even play Dragon Age: Origins?

1 is kinda lame but because your character is a human, point 2 is useless, as the only origins for humans were Noble and Mage, so it was entirely based on your class. Admittedly, the Dragon Age 2 tutorial section will likely not be as different between mage and non-mage.

30. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 15:17 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 14:40:
All that because someone else gets a demo before you?

Someone?!

I'm presuming that this whole idea is to encourage people to go into these stores and talk to these assholes...right? That is the idea, to make me want to go talk to Gamestop employees? Yeah... GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Lemme go one step further. If you picked a game I was rapid to play, just feasting on any bits of info that come in and salivating over something coming out...like...Uncharted 3. You could give these same fuckers that game, something I'm way more excited about and I'd still say GO FUCK YOURSELF at the idea of talking to these people.

They are the anti-gamer.

I really hope this is a joke post that I'm just not getting.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

29. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 15:16 Jerykk

I don't think changing the art direction and...making your characters attack a little faster is dumbing down. Oh maybe they took out that one camera angle, but that's just something annoying.

List of dumbed down things in DA2:

1) You no longer get to choose your race.
2) You no longer get to choose your origin.
3) Combat is being designed to play in real-time, negating the need for tactics or strategy.
4) Dialogue tree has been replaced with dialogue wheel, complete with paraphrased dialogue options and icons showing the tone of each response. This removes the need for reading comprehension or even basic literacy, as players can just refer to the icons when picking a response.
5) Apparently the party banter (one of the best parts of DAO) is gone and replaced with a limited, context-sensitive system ala ME2.

28. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 14:52 JoeNapalm

Jerykk wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:16:
Indeed. As long as they don't go backwards or dumb down the game any more than the first, I'll be happy.

I take it you haven't actually read anything about DA2 yet..?

Shhh, dude! We were going to wait to tell him.

He's still really upset over the whole "Santa" thing...

Plus, he's beginning to suspect those aren't the same goldfish.

We were hoping to cushion the blow...maybe take him out for ice cream.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

27. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 14:40 Tumbler

Someone?!

I'm presuming that this whole idea is to encourage people to go into these stores and talk to these assholes...right? That is the idea, to make me want to go talk to Gamestop employees? Yeah... GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Lemme go one step further. If you picked a game I was rapid to play, just feasting on any bits of info that come in and salivating over something coming out...like...Uncharted 3. You could give these same fuckers that game, something I'm way more excited about and I'd still say GO FUCK YOURSELF at the idea of talking to these people.

They are the anti-gamer.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

26. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 14:23 spindoctor

Tumbler wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 11:37:

I hope people pirate the shit out of your game on the PC, I hope the 360 is broken the same way as the PS3 is and I hope both bootleg copies are sold on the shelf next to your product for half price.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

25. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 14:13 Verno

briktal wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 13:59:

That's the least of what they did to the core game mechanics. Inventory has been "streamlined", particularly for companions who now have outfits instead. There is no more inter-party dialogue, its based on a system of letters and context sensitive locations in the game. No more friendly fire because apparently "players didnt know how to turn it off". The combat has been balanced around the God of War style attack spam, not tactical pause. Traditional dialogue has been replaced by the ME wheel and yes I know some of you view that as a positive but we have one ME already.

Anyway I'm sure theres more I am forgetting too or perhaps some stuff has changed a few times. Point being, there's a valid reason for concern, the sequel has had a rapid development cycle to save money on the budget and EA's involvement on the publisher end of things has produced some very odd results - 2 month preorder shenanigans for DLC, character DLC being cut up while the team admitted the game hadn't reached alpha yet and so on. It's been a rocky ride, if nothing else it will be interesting to see how it ends.

24. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 13:59 briktal

Jerykk wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:16:
Indeed. As long as they don't go backwards or dumb down the game any more than the first, I'll be happy.

23. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 13:45 Techie714

Verno wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:21:
I hope people pirate the shit out of your game on the PC, I hope the 360 is broken the same way as the PS3 is and I hope both bootleg copies are sold on the shelf next to your product for half price.

Yes company who makes game I want, you did something I dont like and now we're enemies for life!!!!!

LOL great post!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

22. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 13:31 Rhett

I'm assuming this is so that guy in every Gamestop can tell you how awesome he thinks Dragon Age 2 is, and how you should preorder it ASAP. And do this to every customer. Repeatedly.

Every Gamestop. That guy. He will now hold over you his temporarily "exclusive" knowledge of Dragon Age 2. You get to thank EA for this!

Way to go, EA...

21. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:59 osage no onna

Such a strange thing. Why do they suddenly appreciate the employees of one retail chain so much? Shouldn't they direct that appreciation to their customers? I thought demos existed for the purpose of letting potential customers try a product who hopefully enjoy it enough to spend their money, but I must be terribly old-fashioned since apparently demos are now... what? Some weird-ass "political" tools? Bribery? I have no idea.  

20. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:56 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:51:
Those early shots and vids looked pretty terrible but newer stuff has looked very good if you ask me. The character detail is really great, and the design is good. Low-res textures are still there, but I'm not super anal retentive texture guy who will call a whole game crappy looking just for that.

That's not really anal retentive, it's not difficult to see how bad textures can affect someones viewpoint of how the game looks in general. Environmental design is a pretty big deal and can really make or break immersion, particularly in a fantasy type game. I can see people being turned off by a game by that, although personally it isn't the end of the world to me. Anyway, can you point to a specific video example of what you're describing? I'd like to observe this transformation for myself.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2011, 13:01.

19. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:51 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:33:
To be fair Dragon Age 1 wasn't a stellar looking game either. Although I do happen to agree with you that what little I've seen of DA2 so far looks like amateur hour stuff. The initial battle scene intro with Hawke was hilarious, huge craggy mountains and stereotypical grimdark fantasy crap, one color tone textures stretched as far as the eye can see and so on.

Those early shots and vids looked pretty terrible but newer stuff has looked very good if you ask me. The character detail is really great, and the design is good. Low-res textures are still there, but I'm not super anal retentive texture guy who will call a whole game crappy looking just for that.

18. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:38 gilly775

sauron wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:16:
This gives GameStop employees exclusive early access to the playable demo Dragon Age II

Honestly, I'm guessing this will probably be a torrent by the weekend. Maybe even by the end of the day.

+1.....I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading this. lol

17. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:33 Verno

To be fair Dragon Age 1 wasn't a stellar looking game either. Although I do happen to agree with you that what little I've seen of DA2 so far looks like amateur hour stuff. The initial battle scene intro with Hawke was hilarious, huge craggy mountains and stereotypical grimdark fantasy crap, one color tone textures stretched as far as the eye can see and so on.

Then again it's not like ME2 looked great either. There was a lot of character detail but the environmental design doesn't stand up to scrutiny very well, everything is boxy, single colored textures that look like they came from a crate factory. You don't buy Bioware games for the looks anyway, although this game looks very lacking in other aspects too.

16. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:29 Wildone

the pc version at least, LOOKS LIKE ASS. I couldnt believe how ugly it was, horrible textures, the cut scenes oMG..they were all on fullbright or something?! I couldnt believe what all the fuss was about.
Then again the console kiddies are happy when get a bunch of blurry 512 textures on a characters face.

15. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:21 Marvin T. Martian

So--someone post the code, it's bound to appear somewhere real soon.  

14. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:21 Verno

Yes company who makes game I want, you did something I dont like and now we're enemies for life!!!!!

13. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 12:16 Jerykk

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo